Why is Michael McIntyre so popular? Page 15

Quote: chipolata @ June 27 2012, 4:33 PM BST

You don't know many masses then. All they do is complain.

Only if EastEnders is cancelled.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 15 2012, 1:24 PM BST

People in the comedy industry seem to forget that probably about 99% of the UK population of 60 Million, have never set foot in a comedy club or even been to see live comedy, so any comedian who can appeal to these people will become massive compared to the acts who are appealing to a small percentage of the 1% of the population who are regular comedy goers.

Yes, I think you are nearly there with this... Some of the comedy store comedians simply don't translate onto the big screen; Justin Moorhouse is a very talented comedian and MC - he never fails to turn it up for the live audience but his TV credits are poor shadows to the intimate performances he does at the comedy store etc. Some people 'fill the screen' on TV even though they are mediocre - take Bruce Forsyth for instance (someone should) does the same thing year after year, decade after decade with predictable, safe big screen feed me fodder. He would probably die on his arse at the comedy store but if they recorded it and edited it and put it out on TV it would fill the screen and he would look good.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 26 2012, 12:46 PM BST

The kind of person who rushes home on a Friday night instead of going out for a drink with colleagues on the off chance that the wife will be in the mood tonight, but she never is, so he ends up having a secretive toilet wank over the work experience girl on the second floor.

That's a sweeping generalisation as I can't stand McIntyre.

To be fair the boy has worked hard visiting so many comedy clubs with a notebook and pen over the years.

He's a bit like James Last who would sell buckets of records with horrible easy listening cover versions for people, like my mum and dad, who have no musical taste.

I think he's just an excellent comedian. I don't think there is anything complex about his choice of topic matter that other comedians don't do. He just executes it brilliantly. He has a natural sense of how to turn an observation or a point in to a joke that is far beyond any other practicing comedian.

Quote: Nogget @ June 26 2012, 12:58 PM BST

That's ridiculous stereotyping. There are people from all walks of life dumb enough to like McIntyre.

'Dumb enough to like McIntyre' is such an idiotic way of putting it. Comedy tastes have little to directly do with intelligence. I know plenty of Bill Hicks and Stewart Lee fans who are absolute morons.

Quite agree!

Quote: The LAw @ August 23 2012, 10:17 AM BST

I think he's just an excellent comedian. I don't think there is anything complex about his choice of topic matter that other comedians don't do. He just executes it brilliantly. He has a natural sense of how to turn an observation or a point in to a joke that is far beyond any other practicing comedian.

'Dumb enough to like McIntyre' is such an idiotic way of putting it. Comedy tastes have little to directly do with intelligence. I know plenty of Bill Hicks and Stewart Lee fans who are absolute morons.

Completely agree. People enjoy denigrating popular comedians because it makes them feel superior to 'the masses'.

Quote: Harridan @ August 23 2012, 12:04 PM BST

Completely agree. People enjoy denigrating popular comedians because it makes them feel superior to 'the masses'.

They also do it as a joke, which was what I did.

Quote: The LAw @ August 23 2012, 10:17 AM BST

'Dumb enough to like McIntyre' is such an idiotic way of putting it.

While taking an old comment out of context isn't.

Quote: Harridan @ August 23 2012, 12:04 PM BST

People enjoy denigrating popular comedians because it makes them feel superior to 'the masses'.

Popular comedians enjoy denigrating 'the masses' because it makes them feel rich.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 23 2012, 3:21 PM BST

Popular comedians enjoy denigrating 'the masses' because it makes them feel rich.

That joke would work if Michael McIntyre was that sort of comedian.

Quote: Harridan @ August 23 2012, 3:41 PM BST

That joke would work if Michael McIntyre was some sort of comedian.

boring

Quote: Harridan @ August 23 2012, 3:41 PM BST

That joke would change colour if Michael McIntyre was some sort of chameleon.

Because he's really funny. His observational material is top notch. And yes, he can be broadcast to a wide audience. Which, given all the nastiness in modern comedy, is refreshing.

I've said before Michael McIntyre is the only person to make me turn off an episode of Desert Island Discs. I had my opinion on him and I thought I'd give him a chance to redeem himself but as a person he came over really creepy.

Judge for yourself...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012jf8n/Desert_Island_Discs_Michael_McIntyre/

Yeh he played all this music from the 80s, these really shit jokes from comedy site for wankers and worst of all he had a Peterborough accent.

What a freak.