Newsjack - Series 6 Page 55

Quote: KLRiley @ March 16 2012, 11:09 AM GMT

So, just me doing irony then?

It ws too sutle fr us...

:D

Quote: KLRiley @ March 16 2012, 10:37 AM GMT

Cracking edition of newsjack. At least the first 25 minutes were. The idiot who put the programme on iPlayer hasn't managed to put the whole rogramme up.

If it isn't fixed you can catch the last 5 mins at the start of the Comedy Club Interviews prog that followed. (... iPlayer/console/b01f1gjl)
:)

Thanks. I'll try that.

Quote: Jinky @ March 16 2012, 11:16 AM GMT

Even better would be to take The Now Show to one side and give it a mercy killing and replace it with NJ. I'm sure Punt and Dennis would be able to find work elsewhere. Or one of them could host the Radio4 version of NJ.

They may do this already, but surely it would make sense to allow the best Newsjack writers to submit material to programmes like The Now Show?

It's great that we have an open submission show like Newsjack, but they don't seem to do much with the good writers they discover.

---

From Twitter: "Further to yesterday's '135 writers recorded', 80 of those made the edit. 2 eps left - lets see if we can top 100.."

Quite impressive numbers. Unfortunately, I'm part of the unlucky 55 this series...

Quote: crake @ March 16 2012, 11:43 AM GMT

They may do this already, but surely it would make sense to allow the best Newsjack writers to submit material to programmes like The Now Show?

It's great that we have an open submission show like Newsjack, but they don't seem to do much with the good writers they discover.

If a writer is consistently sending in material that the producers really like, they will be invited to write as part of the commissioned writing team. If they continue to impress, they will also get a shot at writing for other shows, The Now Show included.

Quote: Trabs @ March 16 2012, 12:00 PM GMT

If a writer is consistently sending in material that the producers really like, they will be invited to write as part of the commissioned writing team. If they continue to impress, they will also get a shot at writing for other shows, The Now Show included.

What Trabs said. They definitely do something with good writers. Some get called in to write with the commisioned writers on Tuesday and some have gone on to write for other BBC Radio shows. James Kettle, Tom Neenan & Andrea Mann spring to mind and I'm sure others can name some more. (Especially if you go back to previous open-submission shows).

Quote: Jinky @ March 16 2012, 11:16 AM GMT

Even better would be to take The Now Show to one side and give it a mercy killing and replace it with NJ. I'm sure Punt and Dennis would be able to find work elsewhere. Or one of them could host the Radio4 version of NJ.

What is it with people having a go at The Now Show? I love The Now Show! Although I will admit people did start shuffling away from me when I said I liked it even more than the News Quiz on Wednesday night.

Surely there must be some others out there who are fans of Punt, Dennis & co.?

--------

And much more importantly congratulations to those who got stuff on or in the recording last night. Very strong recording so even if you didn't make the final cut well done on getting that far.

Haven't had a chance to listen to last night's yet, but well done to everyone who got something on. Sounds like a strong show.

Lull? Hah!

The Beeb is definitely pushing opportunities to writers who they like the most from each series of Newsjack. If it doesn't feel like that to some, it's probably because there are not many BBC-produced radio sketches shows at the moment, and of those that are there will always be some where the performers are also the writers. Plus there are the freelance non-comms from all the previous series of Newsjack, Recorded For Training Purposes, Tilt etc...and you can hardly take away all the openings for them by constricting available non-comm opps to e.g. the last 2 series of Newsjack (by constricting I mean that there is only so much non-comm stuff a producer of a show can read)

So I think right for the Beeb to focus on a couple of new writers per series and then leave open space for the rest of us to try to win over producers on strength of our Newsjack and outside credits and the odd spec script.

Strange week for me. I've avoided trying to write until yesterday, now I feel a bit panicky (is that a word ?). Anyway, I've managed to knock up a sketch last night. Something I struggle with. Not sure why. Think I should drink more to become more creative. I certainly am when I have to come up with a reason for getting in from the pub late. One liners today, but I would like to try another sketch. Mothers day isn't going to help. I need an attic. If only for hiding the bodies.

Forgot to add. Last week's NJ. Whoever wrote 'these claymore mines won't lay themselves, LOL' - Class :)

Hopefully nobody will be stupid enough to make jokes about the horrific incident that took place on Saturday evening. There's no way in a million years that Newsjack will cover it.

I'm talking about Miles Jupp's appearance on Let's Dance for Sports Relief, obviously.

Question - when writing a sketch which includes TV theme tune should you write F/X or GRAMS?

GRAMS for music, F/X for sound effects.

Quote: blahblah @ March 18 2012, 12:51 PM GMT

Question - when writing a sketch which includes TV theme tune should you write F/X or GRAMS?

I'd say if it's an identifiable tune you should use GRAMS.

I've discovered that when it comes to writing Newsjack sketches, I'm more productive when I print off a few interesting news stories and work away from my computer with a notepad and pen.

For instance, last night I failed to write anything whilst sat in front of my computer (my mind was blank), but after printing a few stories and switching the computer off, I soon managed to write three first drafts in the space of around 30 minutes.