Newsjack - Series 6 Page 50

RJ, my comments were on the reactions of some people on the forum, not about what is and isn't suitable for Newsjack (or indeed, another show). It just seemed like a lot of people were having a right old pop at DeathByMonkey for writing what he thought was funny, and I felt that it was important to put the discussion in perspective.

DBM, I look forward to reading it!

Kate
:)

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ March 14 2012, 11:20 AM GMT

On this basis I hope that I won't get blacked marked for it - as they used a death joke - just changed it away from that subject. But my final question before I shut up on this - should I apologise to Newsjack in my next submission? Or would that be worse? I just don't want to cause offence of cause myself problems in the future - your input as usual will be very much apreciated.

Ok, ok, ok - one last thing RJ - you seem to be approaching this with a pure insight into what the show wants, I don't feel judged for a mistake. Which is all very helpful - so by-the-by - thank you :D

If you're not sending in that sort of stuff by the bucket load each week then don't worry - the odd slip up won't be remembered. Don't apologise. Don't mention it. Just draw a line under it, learn from it, and move on.

There are already plenty of reasons why they might not use your material (they don't find it funny, too similar to something someone else has done, too similar to something they've done before, it gets dropped in rehearsals, the audience don't laugh, the show is over length and it's cut for time). All I'm saying is don't give them another reason.

I'm only offering advice. Use it/discard it as you wish.

Quote: Katie P @ March 14 2012, 11:29 AM GMT

It just seemed like a lot of people were having a right old pop at DeathByMonkey for writing what he thought was funny, and I felt that it was important to put the discussion in perspective.

The discusion topic in this thread is mostly 'How can I get my jokes on Newsjack?'. My advice, born from experience and a helping of common sense, is that you'll drastically improve your chances of Newsjack using your jokes by avoiding certain news stories/topics. The brutal murder of a young woman is one of them.

The issue of taste in comedy is a broad one, so for this specific thread let's just bring it back to Newsjack again. If you're trying to write for Newsjack, aim for two things. 1. Funny. 2. Suitable for Newsjack.

Always write to the brief. I just cannot stress that enough. It's a lesson every new writer has to learn. The brief always dictates the material you need to create. You can bend and stretch the brief, of course, but never actively go against it.

In fairness, on very rare occasions they have used jokes which allude to "untouchable" stories, but normally only if 1. the story has dominated the news to such an extent that it would seem odd to totally ignore it and 2. the "untouchable" tragedy is unambiguously not the actual butt of the joke

e.g. while changing Whitney Houston to Beyonce in one joke, they did let through the one about Alex Salmond making a speech at Houston's funeral, where the joke was clearly poking fun at Salmond, not Houston

e.g.2 I seem to remember that at the time of the Knox/Sollecito retrial they included a sketch satirising the press's prurience about the case (and I also seem to remember that they discussed in detail in one of their webchats how they'd agonised about whether to include something on the case or not and why they eventually handled it the way they did)

I do think, though, that you're right, RJ, that it's probably best for us wannabe non-coms to avoid those stories all together.

And now I'm really regretting sending a joke about the Nigerian hostage crisis...

Thanks Katie, there's been a couple of pops at me in the past on certain subjects :P but it doesn't bother me (mostly because context of meaning can be difficult to assume when something is written - and as long as no one directly says DBM you're a f**kwit I won't get offended).

RJ the only thing I take issue with is, is the statement of common sense (of which I feel I have a fair helping of) - and the only reason the issue became slightly blurred for me and I did start to branch out in this way is that you'll remember in a previous episode NJ did a Costa cruise ship joke - a subject where over twenty people died - this of course was not an offensive joke but it was on a touchy subject. I noticed it and was a little surprised, I guess that stuck in the back of my mind when I thought a subject (even risqué ones) can be broached if done delicately and well. That's the only reason I attempted it really. As I said it's not necessarily black and white and objectively can sometimes appear hypocritical where some things are allowed and others aren't. Anyway, honestly thanks for the feedback it is appreciated.

Back to shutting up...

At the risk of changing the subject, who's going tonight?

Dan

Quote: Katie P @ March 14 2012, 10:25 AM GMT

Fingers crossed for more lightweight-satire-friendly news this week, eh folks?

Be careful. They read this thread and I'm pretty sure that (self-censored as I can't 100% prove this bit) which means if you annoy them then (self-censored because I don't want to go through all that again).

I've been literally wracking my brains for seconds trying to think of anywhere (apart from Sickipedia) that would run with a joke about a recent murder.

The Onion???

Quote: swerytd @ March 14 2012, 12:36 PM GMT

Dan

Me. See you in the bar beforehand?

Dan

Yep, burntouthack aka Trevor is going. Are we wearing daffodils in our, er, lapels? I look like Alan Davies without the frizzy hair.

I'm on my way up from Bristol as we type.

You'll recognise me as the only one without trendy hair
(assuming Sooty isn't there).

Next week, I'm definitely going to put all my efforts into a sketch. Not for the self-esteem you understand, just the money.

Dan

I'll be there too.

Quote: Big Jack @ March 14 2012, 3:05 PM GMT

You'll recognise me as the only one without trendy hair

Same goes for me, no trendy hair either.

Quote: StephenM @ March 13 2012, 12:07 PM GMT

Belated Congratulations Jenny!

And for those on here who like conspiracy theories perhaps they changed your name deliberately to ensure there WAS a debate about women in comedy and hence encourage more female submissions. Ha, we've rumbled you Newsjack.

Or perhaps I should stop eating cheese in the morning.

And hopefully see you Wednesday.

While I love a conspiracy theory as much as the next person, it was correct on the Newsjack site. Just misspelled/misgendered on here.

Thanks to you and Will Cam for the welcomes.

See you later!

I'll be lurking in the bar area no doubt, from about 6.20ish, if anyone wants to share a sharpener with a 40-year-old man in a Parka. Well, not "share" exactly, we can have our own drinks, I guess.