Frankie Boyle - Glad To See The Back Of Him? Page 5

Quote: Marc P @ April 9 2010, 1:28 PM BST

I've not read much myself lately either.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Mickeza @ April 9 2010, 1:28 PM BST

He legitimizes the mocking, but I honestly don't think there is any hatred in what he says.

And that makes it ok? I always wanted to write to Radovan Karadjic and suggest he claim he was just being ironic at his trial.

Quote: Marc P @ April 9 2010, 1:28 PM BST

I've not read much myself lately either.

:D :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 9 2010, 1:25 PM BST

Whoever complained is an idiot.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed that he was having a bad day.

Quote: sootyj @ April 9 2010, 1:26 PM BST

How unPC.

In an attempt at humour, I almost put mong instead of idiot.

Quote: Mickeza @ April 9 2010, 1:28 PM BST

I remember a sketch you wrote about Haiti, and people on here jumped in saying how thoroughly offensive it was, but it wasn't in the slightest and I defended it, people are too quick to jump in nowadays and shout "I'm offended"

I did try with that sketch to stick to legimate targets, the orphan industry and the aid industry etc.

Personally I don't find Boyle's comedy offensive. I do think it was a foolish target that will make the lives of a few people slightly worse.

I more sad at another comic scrabbling in the box of cheap mockery.

If they bring a censorship law in, and I know Labour will, will they stop shows like The Kumars mocking the British? because they did it all the time.

Quote: sootyj @ April 9 2010, 1:30 PM BST

And that makes it ok? I always wanted to write to Radovan Karadjic and suggest he claim he was just being ironic at his trial.

What is okay though? All comedians cause some offence to someone surely? (Except maybe Jason Manford) Who gets to draw the line?

Quote: sootyj @ April 9 2010, 1:33 PM BST

Personally I don't find Boyle's comedy offensive.

I don't find it offensive, I don't think I've ever actually been offended by any comedy, but I can see Boyle's work comes from an empty place, there's nothing propping up the nastiness. It's just a wearying succesion of 'shocking' jokes.

No comedy without a victim.

I just think there is some line some where.

Quote: Griff @ April 9 2010, 1:38 PM BST

Umm... so does every other comedy show?? or are the Kumars not allowed to join in?

Well they may not be allowed to join in if the law states 'One ethnic group cannot make remarks about another ethnic group which may cause offence.'
That basically is what that censorship law says.

Quote: sootyj @ April 9 2010, 1:39 PM BST

I just think there is some line some where.

After reading a bit more of F' all, I've come to the conclusion that there is no morality, thus there are no rules and the line is wherever you yourself wish to put it. Of course, this makes it hard to argue against things such as Nazism, so puts me in a bit of a dilemma Errr

Are Labor really planning this?

I thought they were doing something rather worse, banning being rude about religions.

Quote: sootyj @ April 9 2010, 1:44 PM BST

Are Labor really planning this?

I thought they were doing something rather worse, banning being rude about religions.

Didn't they do this ages ago, and Rowan Atkinson and some others got all annoyed about it? Or did that not go through?

Not yet but when they do just invent your own religion and say what you like.