Frankie Boyle - Glad To See The Back Of Him? Page 13

All comedians use the same joke mechanics in varying amounts. What differs is the predictability of the references, the range of the material and the violating (or not) of taboos or societal norms.

Saying a well-liked and highly regarded comedian isn't funny is like saying tomatoes aren't edible because you don't like them yourself.

Here's a Boyle joke:

"Dear Points of View, after watching Queer Eye For the Straight Guy I thought if I made gay friends they would give me fashion tips. Actually they f**ked me."

Very unexpected punchline and taboo violation = funny.

Yes, I am now convinced, let the hair braiding commence.

I can't believe you're trying to tell me that it's not ok for me to say I don't think someone is funny! You can be an odd bugger at times Godot.

And yes, Boyle can be funny, I just don't like him over an actual sustained set, I get bored. Which surprised me after enjoying his stuff on Mock The Weak.

Okay then, saying 'This popular comedian is not funny' would be wrong, but not 'I don't find this popular comedian funny'.

I have often found Frankie's acts rather caustic, bitter and spiteful.
Picking on audience members appears to be de rigeur in Scotland-Scott Agnew (previous Scottish Comedian of the year)is another example. His routine often makes humiliating sexual references directed at male audience members, intended to achieve laughs at the embarrassment of another. It's like extreme schadenfreude Scottish style-laughing at the expense of another where he is in a protected position of the stage.

I like Frankie Boyle and mostly find him funny. I just think he made a mistake in this instance.

Surely it was God's mistake?

I wonder if he's going to do that DS stuff again at his next gig, you somehow think he will - well he'll definitely want to. The only problem is, he knows someone will video it and it'll end up on the news and he proably doesn't want all that hassle again, but then again, maybe this is one bloke who really loves a bit of controversy! I reckon his agent or his sponsors, or a very nervous Channel 4 will stop him using it again, but he probably won't like being told that.