Frankie Boyle - Glad To See The Back Of Him? Page 8

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 9 2010, 6:24 PM BST

You don't need a 'stoopid test', my post has done the job perfectly.

Agreed - now can you take me to your leader?

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 9 2010, 5:52 PM BST

You only seem to criticise people who criticise, Stott,

This is not true.

If you didn't know it, he's a satirist, which is why he was one of the the regular panelists on a satirical TV show. His humour comes from great anger which I recognise and almost exactly share.

I know exactly what he is, I just don't much care for his act, I'm sure he'll get over it.

makes me think you're a very happy guy with a very happy life who is very happy about the world he lives in. That is fine and I am (genuinely) pleased for you.

I'm an open book to you Godot; you're like that guy off The Mentalist or something.

You only seem to criticise people who criticise, Stott, which just makes me think you're a very happy guy with a very happy life who is very happy about the world he lives in. That is fine and I am (genuinely) pleased for you.

I've seen Matt literally shake with anger.

No, let's not pretend, most of his act is spent puncturing hypocritical stances. His humour is highly destructive of the positions he attacks.

Piffle, dearest. ;)

So anyone who behaves in a tolerant and respectful way towards people with learning disabilities must be a hypocrite shielding their more callous thoughts?

Boyle and his defenders seem to start from the idea that no-one could possibly profess genuine positive feelings towards any minority without being two-faced. What a depressing and simply untrue (and not evidenced) world view to have. The logic that "If I think these horrible thoughts then everyone else must surely do?" is not only plainly absurd, it is also a supremely arrogant and deluded mindset to have.

And in the end, why try to make a virtue of someone behaving like a total c**t? Because despite the stage, the microphone and the reputation, that's what he was doing - being a nasty c**t.

Quote: Mickeza @ April 9 2010, 1:47 PM BST

I do that anyway. It's my excuse every time I get caught talking to myself.

2 alternatives.

1. A bluetooth earpiece. People I assume that I'm laughing at what I'm hearing (little do they know that it isn't switched on!!)

2 Get a dog. As long as you throw your dog's name into your duologue occasionally you can pull it off!!

As for Frankie Boyle. I know that some people like him, but in my opinion he is usually way out of his depth when it comes to wit, thus resorting to the offensive, to elicit a reaction of shock, and a groan.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 9 2010, 9:54 PM BST

that's what he was doing - being a nasty c**t.

...according to the woman who was offended.

As far as I can tell from her blog and the reports you linked to, she's the only person who's said anything about what happened at this gig.

That's not really enough to make any kind of moral judgement at all.

EDIT: I stand corrected. The commenter "Apples" on her blog appears to have been at the gig too. http://k3tten.blogspot.com/2010/04/punching-me-in-face-would-have-been.html

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 9 2010, 11:05 PM BST

EDIT: I stand corrected. The commenter "Apples" on her blog appears to have been at the gig too. http://k3tten.blogspot.com/2010/04/punching-me-in-face-would-have-been.html

Yeah, I stand corrected - the bitch and her f**king mongoloid daughter deserve everything that's coming to them. F**k her for interrupting genius by being all upset about her living Cabbage Patch Doll. She probably only didn't have the f**king kid aborted in case she ever needed a spare organ transplant. Not like a f**king Down's is going to know a surgical consent form from a f**king colouring-in book.

Jesus, Kevin......

Out of here. :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 9 2010, 11:37 PM BST

Yeah, I stand corrected - the bitch and her f**king mongoloid daughter deserve everything that's coming to them. F**k her for interrupting genius being all upset about her living, breathing Cabbage Patch Kid. She probably only didn't have the f**king kid aborted in case she ever needed a spare organ transplant.

Jesus, Kevin......

Eh?

I was just correcting my mistake. I wasn't endorsing what Apples said or anything.

Quote: Griff @ April 9 2010, 12:57 PM BST

Worst. Slaves. Ever.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Marc P @ April 9 2010, 1:28 PM BST

I've not read much myself lately either.

Laughing out loud

An interesting debate. Personally, I can appreciate edgy material, as long as it's funny. With Boyle, it normally is.

If people want to get riled up by newspaper reports, they are of course free to do so.

I'm pointing out that these reports reflect one view of what happened, entirely based on Sharon Smith's account.

Frankie has not commented. The only other person who seems to have been there who has expressed an opinion online is a person commenting on Smith's blog called "Apples".

He says: "The whole situation was a case of wrong place at the wrong time but I think this blog is very one sided appraisal of what I witnessed last night."

It's pretty clear that Boyle did joke about Down's Syndrome during the gig, and that one woman was upset by that. Everything else is worthless speculation.

I love Frankie, and the last thing I'd want to see this turn into a media-frenzy similar to the 'Brand-Ross-Sachs-gate' that saw some of my favourite comedians taken off air. Ross and Brand have been licking their wounds ever since.

You might not like everything they do, but I'd rather be offended occasionally than have luke-warm comedy dished up every night. I think anyone going to a show called 'I Would Happily Punch Every One of You In the Face' should be prepared to be offended.

I don't think there is anything edgy about mocking disability; where it would become edgy would be challenging perceptions and attitudes (both negative and positive).

Comedians like Boyle actually serve a useful purpose in making us confront our own insensitivity. He is the sort of comedian who every so often says something so unpalatable that it makes you question whether you should have been laughing at what he had said before. It is always distasteful to find oneself part of a baying mob.

Quote: Timbo @ April 10 2010, 12:12 AM BST

I don't think there is anything edgy about mocking disability;

I would generally agree with that.

From what Smith said, Boyle mocked haircuts and old-fashioned parents, neither of which are characteristics of Down's Syndrome.

And he apparently put on the predictable "retarded" voice. That was probably ill-advised. Cheap, lazy, not funny, not interesting. If he did that, he probably shouldn't have.

Comedians like Boyle actually serve a useful purpose in making us confront our own insensitivity. He is the sort of comedian who every so often says something so unpalatable that it makes you question whether you should have been laughing at what he had said before. It is always distasteful to find oneself part of a baying mob.

I think that's a really good point. Not sure if that's Boyle's conscious intention though. Perhaps his social utility is inadvertant.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 9 2010, 11:37 PM BST

Yeah, I stand corrected - the bitch and her f**king mongoloid daughter deserve everything that's coming to them. F**k her for interrupting genius by being all upset about her living Cabbage Patch Doll. She probably only didn't have the f**king kid aborted in case she ever needed a spare organ transplant. Not like a f**king Down's is going to know a surgical consent form from a f**king colouring-in book.

Jesus, Kevin......

This is poor stuff walker. In fact this is no debate at all. I made no comment on the downs syndrome incident because I don't know enough about it. All I read were two newspaper pieces written from the 'comedian goes too far angle.' Neither piece gives the views of anyone other than the person who was offended.

Most of the comedy people on this thread love contains elements of racism, sexism and patronises parts of society that they do not belong to and so don't care about. Are you under the impression that this comedy is inoffensive? The recent Dawn French/Lenny Henry thread contained plenty of rib-ticklers relating to her obesity. 'Who'll get custody of the fridge?' and 'She'll bounce back' spring to mind. I don't care, but do you think she has no feelings?

Credit to Kevin Murphy for providing the link to the offended woman's blog and the commentator 'Apples' who was also at the gig. Apples said:

"Statistically most of the people in that room would have had family members who would have been touched by cancer. You didnt see them shouting out at cancer gags. You can't pick and choose what you get offended by just because it affects you or a member of your family.

You also failed to mention that you were texting as well as chattingthat's why you got picked out, pretty disrespectful in itself."

Quote: Ben @ April 9 2010, 8:59 PM BST

I've seen Matt literally shake with anger.

I really wish he would write about these things on the forum.