Frankie Boyle - Glad To See The Back Of Him? Page 6

Quote: Mickeza @ April 9 2010, 1:28 PM BST

He legitimizes the mocking, but I honestly don't think there is any hatred in what he says. If you're on a panel show, and suddenly you make a few 'near the bone' remarks about taboo topics that see's the audience in hysterics, wouldn't you continue? Especially when you become a superstar (in comedy terms), you find it easy (as he obviously does) and everything you say is tongue in cheek (which I do think it is). I remember a sketch you wrote about Haiti, and people on here jumped in saying how thoroughly offensive it was, but it wasn't in the slightest and I defended it, people are too quick to jump in nowadays and shout "I'm offended" in my opinion, and this is why Frankie Boyle thrives. When I went to see him (and I've said I didn't enjoy it) he made a disgusting Madelaine McCann joke, which I admit to laughing at. Now, did that make me think it was okay? No, it wasn't okay and that's why I was laughing. I think people really do laugh because of the "I can't believe he had the balls to say that" rather than the content itself.

Noting that you're not a massive fan of Boyle anyway, I appreciate where you're coming from. I'm not saying taboo-busting or offensive jokes can't provoke a laugh just on their own terms; nor am I saying that every joke has to have the weight of a considered moral argument to justify it.

The onus however does primarily lie with Boyle, not his audience. If he feels he can justify his reasons for doing this material, then fine. If he has a clear conscience about doing it, so be it. I would only suggest that his defence of his act is piss-poor weak. Saying anything to get a laugh is not in of itself brave. And the "it's what you're all thinking" is plainly not true, Frankie!

I'm sure I'm not the only comedy writer around here who has written a line which I have later removed because I don't think the laugh justifies the offence. Mostly I remove a line because the joke isn't founded on any real truth, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny (also, ahem, it may just not be that funny).

For me, Frankie Boyle's rather double-edged success is symptomatic of a more general confusion in the minds of both audience and heads of TV/radio comedy as to which kind of jokes are merely daring and which are simply offensive and nasty. If a joke is simply nasty and the audience is still laughing at it then, indeed, that becomes not only the comic's but the audience's responsibility too.

Quote: sootyj @ April 9 2010, 1:46 PM BST

Not yet but when they do just invent your own religion and say what you like.

I do that anyway. It's my excuse every time I get caught talking to myself.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 9 2010, 1:36 PM BST

If they bring a censorship law in, and I know Labour will, will they stop shows like The Kumars mocking the British? because they did it all the time.

Might be a good idea to ban almost everything. Well, at least what's shown on BBC3. Of course the downside would be we would only be allowed to watch Michael McIntyre.

It was a draft proposal for a green paper or something like that and Harman was very serious about it. They do seem to have forgotten about it now, or it's been rightly ridiculed out of the govt's list of bills waiting. Blackadder strikes again maybe.

Quote: Bert Bastard @ April 9 2010, 1:51 PM BST

Might be a good idea to ban almost everything. Well, at least what's shown on BBC3. Of course the downside would be we will only be allowed to watch Michael McIntyre.

I find Mr McIntyre's comedy, in its MOR mediocrity very offensive indeed - though not in a way I could begin to bother trying to justify on here. :(

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 9 2010, 1:52 PM BST

It was a draft proposal for a green paper or something like that and Harman was very serious about it. They do seem to have forgotten about it now, or it's been rightly ridiculed out of the govt's list of bills waiting. Blackadder strikes again maybe.

Well, of course, anyone suggesting that the best way to deal with offensive comedy is to legislate against it (beyond the standard "incitement to hate" laws) would be foolish to the point of dangerous.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 9 2010, 1:55 PM BST

I find Mr McIntyre's comedy, in its MOR mediocrity very offensive indeed - though not in a way I could begin to bother trying to justify on here. :(

Which comedians are you a fan of? Not sarcastic or anything, I'm not a fan of Boyle of Mcintyre either and the Bill Hicks DVD's are starting to get stale after viewing them for the hundredth time, so I need some fresh stuff.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 9 2010, 1:55 PM BST

Don't know if I find him offensive. Probably more on the depressing side. Anyway, I've got a sock drawer to sort out.

Quote: Bert Bastard @ April 9 2010, 2:02 PM BST

Don't know if I find him offensive. Probably more on the depressing side. Anyway, I've got a sock drawer to sort out.

Laughing out loud

Well to sum up I shall misquote Mr Knightley in Jane Austen's Emma after Emma goes too far taking the piss out of a slightly ridiculous, but much poorer and well-meaning friend; "Badly done Frankie. Badly done."

Quote: Mickeza @ April 9 2010, 2:00 PM BST

Which comedians are you a fan of? Not sarcastic or anything

Ooh, crumbs... Stewart Lee (rather obviously), Richard Herring, Tim Key, Laura Solon, Andrew Maxwell, Dylan Moran, Chris Addison, Doug Stanhope (DVD out now), Lucy Porter, Paul Sinha (mandatory plug of mate), John Maloney, Felix Dexter, Will Andrews, Frank Skinner (an old stalwart), Dan Antopolski and plenty more. I'm a bit behind on new stand-ups, as you can tell, but I'm hoping to go up to Edinburgh this year and find some new people to harp on about. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 9 2010, 2:06 PM BST

Well to sum up I shall misquote Mr Knightley in Jane Austen's Emma after Emma goes too far taking the piss out of a slightly ridiculous, but much poorer and well-meaning friend; "Badly done Frankie. Badly done."

Pleased Indeed. A very withering line in its context too. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 9 2010, 2:06 PM BST

:D

Frankie my dear, he don't give a damn!

The BCG leads the debate, prompting The Guardian to desperately play catch-up... Whistling nnocently

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2010/apr/09/offensive-comedy-frankie-boyle

So what happens now then? I'm almost fascinated to see what he does next. Still with a tour to finish, if he leaves out the DS routine he'll be accused of giving into the PC mob and might lose some respect as well from his fans; if he carries on with it, he'll have every human rights group pleading for action for him to stop it, and it will end up in PM's Questions with the rabid Ms Harman giving him a stern dressing down. My guess is he'll throw a wobbly and cut short the tour.

Quote: Marc P @ April 9 2010, 2:21 PM BST

:D

Frankie my dear, he don't give a damn!

Do you wake up in the middle of the night and bark these things out? Is Mrs P woken all hours by night punning?

Quote: David Bussell @ April 9 2010, 2:49 PM BST

Do you wake up in the middle of the night and bark these things out? Is Mrs P woken all hours by night punning?

I'm a serious writer I'll have you know! :O