Frankie Boyle - Glad To See The Back Of Him? Page 11

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 10 2010, 2:21 PM BST

There's a Michael McIntyre show on iPlayer at the moment. He does a "deaf voice" at around 36 minutes.

Hey, McIntyre gets enough abuse as it is! :P

Also, what's your point? That people should go easy on Frankie because other comedians might do questionable stuff too??

I'm not too fussed about the whole thing to be honest, I think I'm only adding posts here to put off doing any work! To my mind it seems like Frankie perhaps crossed a line, but who knows. *shrugs* I haven't even read the womans blog or any of the articles! :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 10 2010, 2:34 PM BST

Also, what's your point?

No point as such, just thought it was an interesting factoid to inject into the debate.

Quote: Alan Cornforth @ April 10 2010, 1:51 PM BST

We live in a society that accepts that some people can have $65billion in their bank accounts while whole nations starve to death. Where bankers can put 100,000's of people out of a job and then pay themselves millions in bonuses for doing so.

So a comedian taking a shot at the genetically disfigured and emotionally backward shouldn't really surprise us? We live in a relatively free society so you have to accept it will happen. All you can do is not go to see him, not watch his programmes, etc. Compassion and cruelty are rarely comfortable bedfellows.

Ah, a Voltaire fan.

If you want to hear the offended mum repeating one of Frankie's jokes, using "the voice" (really), this is the link to click:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8611514.stm

Ok I surrender that jokes f**king ace and I bet he did the voice better.

If everyone's so obsessed with people with Downe's dying early. Why don't we take a sweep stake on when her daughter carks it?

Interesting addendum to the Frankie Boyle story about messrs Gervais, Merchant and Pilkington being unpleasant about a woman a few years ago.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/apr/13/disability-joke-frankie-boyle

I wish comedians would learn to exercise a bit more personal responsibility.

Here's a question.

One's appearance is primarily determined, I believe, by genetics.

So is cherubism or Down's.

Should there be a line drawn between making jokes about somebody's appearance when it's recognised as a medical disorder and when it's not?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 14 2010, 1:34 PM BST

Here's a question.

One's appearance is primarily determined, I believe, by genetics.

So is cherubism or Down's.

Should there be a line drawn between making jokes about somebody's appearance when it's recognised as a medical disorder and when it's not?

To a certain extent, yes. Especially if the joke serves no purpose other than to mock and belittle. But again, comedians should have an internal barometer that tells them what's acceptable and what's not.

Quote: chipolata @ April 14 2010, 1:49 PM BST

To a certain extent, yes. Especially if the joke serves no purpose other than to mock and belittle. But again, comedians should have an internal barometer that tells them what's acceptable and what's not.

Most do, but Boyle uses his barometer just so he can be unnaceptable, there'll always be the one or two who want to make their name breaking rules of decency and all that, you'll never stop the bad boys/girls.

Quote: chipolata @ April 14 2010, 1:49 PM BST

I quite agree with you, Jonathan.

So what about Charlie Brooker?

His columns, particularly in the early years when he didn't have a photo byline, attacked the physical attractiveness of celebrities on a weekly basis in a respected national newspaper.

Does he get a pass because celebs are fair game?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 14 2010, 3:32 PM BST

So what about Charlie Brooker?

His columns, particularly in the early years when he didn't have a photo byline, attacked the physical attractiveness of celebrities on a weekly basis in a respected national newspaper.

To a certain extent, yes, celebrities are fair game. And I trust Brooker enough to know that when he went on the attack, the person had warranted it in some way through their idiotic comments or behaviour. If you can find an example to prove me wrong, please do.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 14 2010, 3:32 PM BST

If you're putting yourself in the public eye, then you should be prepared for others to judge you; whether that judgement comes down to ability, talent, appearance, or anything else. I think that's a very different matter to making fun of, in Boyle's case, Downes sufferers.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 14 2010, 3:43 PM BST

If you're putting yourself in the public eye, then you should be prepared for others to judge you; .

For example, I very much hope Bussell makes it onto TV one day, so I can say things like 'I am sick of seeing that Gangly, fat haired 'comedian' prancing across my telly box. If I want to look at something that resembles a gay camel, I'll head down to my local Homosexual Zoo, thank you very much.'

What about celebrities with genetic conditions?

Are dwarf actors fair game?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 14 2010, 3:55 PM BST

Homosexual Zoo

Is she?