Frankie Boyle - Glad To See The Back Of Him? Page 7

Quote: Marc P @ April 9 2010, 2:50 PM BST

I'm a serious writer I'll have you know! :O

I see, so you're in your attic drinking by night.

No I leave that to my portrait!

Quote: Marc P @ April 9 2010, 2:53 PM BST

No I leave that to my portrait!

Dorian Grey Goose?

Damn, I've fallen prey!

I do have a bottle of Grey Goose as it happens! It's nice. :)

N.B. Boyle still has a column in the Sun which is a bravura performance of offensive jokes.

Reckon he'll keep it?

Quote: Griff @ April 9 2010, 3:34 PM BST

Never mind leading the debate, the BCG has been having this argument about once a week since the Internet was invented.

Would it not be easier to just have a poll with all the usual answers "There are some topics that should not be joked about", "You mustn't have censorship in comedy", "You can only use taboo topics if you have something intelligent to say" yada yada f**king yada, record everyone's views on a pie chart, and just post the diagram up every time the gutter press stirs up one of these stories? It'd save a lot of bother.

Shurrup! Some of us enjoy being witlessly spoon-fed controversy to bleat about like mad sheep by the media... Not me, obviously, but others.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 9 2010, 11:49 AM BST

Frankie Boyle strikes me as being the kind of act who creates comedy for people who have, essentially, no moral centre.

You couldn't be more wrong. Frankie Boyle's political morality is there for all to see. It's in every other line he says seems fully predictable taking into account his background, birthplace and the times he lives in. He hates the Conservative Party, The Royal Family, bourgeois England, elements of the Labour Party that he considers to have sold out, Celebrity and Movie Culture, Right Wing and Right On media, women's magazines, religion and lowbrow entertainment (amongst others). He also hates Scots Nationalists - making him fairly and squarely in the position of an old-style rabble rouser or demagogue. In a way it is not surprising that you and others don't like him because his stance is one of constantly undermining societal norms.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 9 2010, 11:25 AM BST

However, let's not pretend that Frankie Boyle serves some higher purpose. Unlike other comics he doesn't make jokes about taboo subjects in order to highlight hypocrisy or make any kind of intellectual point...

No, let's not pretend, most of his act is spent puncturing hypocritical stances. His humour is highly destructive of the positions he attacks.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 9 2010, 11:49 AM BST

Frankie Boyle has always struck me as a massively bitter person, comedically hitting out as a coping mechanism. His comedy is of the playground - nasty, shallow and spiteful... and intellectually negligible.

It's is nasty for sure, but it is anything but shallow, either intellectually or comedically. His gags are well put together with little slack, are unpredictable and exceptionally funny. The response to other comics hearing his gags can show you that - they haven't seen it coming and they're pros.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 9 2010, 1:38 PM BST

I don't find it offensive, I don't think I've ever actually been offended by any comedy, but I can see Boyle's work comes from an empty place, there's nothing propping up the nastiness. It's just a wearying succesion of 'shocking' jokes.

If you didn't know it, he's a satirist, which is why he was one of the the regular panelists on a satirical TV show. His humour comes from great anger which I recognise and almost exactly share.

You only seem to criticise people who criticise, Stott, which just makes me think you're a very happy guy with a very happy life who is very happy about the world he lives in. That is fine and I am (genuinely) pleased for you.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 9 2010, 5:52 PM BST

No, let's not pretend, most of his act is spent puncturing hypocritical stances. His humour is highly destructive of the positions he attacks.

I'm glad someone is finally taking those Down Syndrome guys to task, f**king hypocrites the lot of them.

Quote: PhQnix @ April 9 2010, 5:58 PM BST

I'm glad someone is finally taking those Down Syndrome guys to task, f**king hypocrites the lot of them.

Agreed.

And A System of Downes are rubbish.

I'm glad Frankie Boyle is upset by it - at least he has had a reality check and is not just trying to brush it off.

He can be very funny when he targets political and social inequities but, for the life of me, I can't see why he would want to choose such a unequal target.

It reminds me of the furore Billy Connolly caused when he showed a distinct lack of compassion for the guy who was being held captive in Iraq.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uxZQM3xaf0&feature=related

Featuring the spastic messiah

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 9 2010, 6:10 PM BST

Agreed.

I think I need a stoopid test or I am misundertanding people - are you agreeing with Phqnix's highly sarcastic response to your comment?

Quote: Alan Cornforth @ April 9 2010, 6:20 PM BST

I think I need a stoopid test or I am misundertanding people - are you agreeing with Phqnix's highly sarcastic response to your comment?

He was being ironic or double sarcastic.

Quote: Alan Cornforth @ April 9 2010, 6:20 PM BST

You don't need a 'stoopid test', my post has done the job perfectly.