Frankie Boyle - Glad To See The Back Of Him? Page 4

I like Jim Jeffries. He's seen as quite offensive, but I've never been offended by him. He seems quite honest about his past life and for that I respect him. I know Griff hates him too!

Quote: Tony Cowards @ April 9 2010, 12:42 PM BST

I recently made a joke about writing some gags for radio and said that on hearing them "I felt like a proud father", to which I got told off for comparing the writing of a few puns to the joy of bringing a life into the world!

I don't really like "offensive" humour but everyone has different boundaries so it's very hard to know where the lines should be drawn.

That's a bit of a over-reaction, yes.

Everyone can only draw their own line. I personally never think it's fair to mock anyone for something they can't help - unless of course they're a c**t (i.e dictator, politican, royality, talentless celeb).

Quote: Griff @ April 9 2010, 1:14 PM BST

I don't much like the Jeffries. He seems a bullying sort. But again, it's my choice to stick to namby-pamby Radio Four types, I don't want him censored or anything.

Right on!

Are you back on the boards now, Griff, or is this a flying visit?

Quote: Mickeza @ April 9 2010, 1:12 PM BST

AND HE DOES NOT INCITE HATRED!!!!

No but he legitimises it and expands it.

Hitler's best propagandists were not the hsyterics like Streiker. They were the sophisiticates like Veit Harlan who offered an entertaining, comforting image.

Do you really not get that? I know day centres for the learning disabled who stagger their hours of opening, so the clients can avoid school kids. Because the isnults, taunts and bullying are so extreme.

Of course that isn't Boyle's fault. But if he profits from it then he should be ashamed.

Quote: Griff @ April 9 2010, 1:17 PM BST

A flying visit. I have been stuck at home with The Norovirus this week and today I am feeling a bit perkier at last so thought I would venture into the swamp of BCG. How is everyone?

I'm very well, thanks, but couldn't comment on the others.

How's your writing going? Got anything in RFTP?

Let's hope so. Are they about Frankie Boyle?

ironic (there's your favourite word Tim)

Actually, my favourite word is "quixotic". :)

Quote: Tony Cowards @ April 9 2010, 12:42 PM BST

I recently made a joke about writing some gags for radio and said that on hearing them "I felt like a proud father", to which I got told off for comparing the writing of a few puns to the joy of bringing a life into the world!

Whoever complained is an idiot.

Lance the Boyle!

Quote: Griff @ April 9 2010, 1:25 PM BST

Ah, but how do you pronounce "Don Quixote"? That is the true test of a man.

Just say the Man from La Mancha

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 9 2010, 1:25 PM BST

Whoever complained is an idiot.

How unPC.

N.B. whilst reading upon this thread I discovered there was a film about Sherlock Holmes filmed in Nazi Germany.

Must have been pretty short. The Jews did it Watson!

Quote: Griff @ April 9 2010, 1:25 PM BST

Ah, but how do you pronounce "Don Quixote"? That is the true test of a man.

In the style of a donkey's breakfast cereal.

Quote: Griff @ April 9 2010, 1:12 PM BST

I feel uncomfortable censoring what comedians can say in their live shows (broadcast is a different matter). If you don't like Frankie Boyle, don't go and see him - I'll join you in not going - but what's the alternative? Lists of rules of allowed topics? A panel of experts deciding whether standups are demonstrating the "correct" sensitivity for the given material, failure to comply seeing them warned and eventually struck off?

Yep, the only solution other than censorship (which I wouldn't want) is self-censorship (which someone like Boyle doesn't seem to understand how/when to apply). Beyond that, don't go to his gigs/watch him on TV if you don't like what he does. However, I would also say that voicing dissent against him is a legitimate and useful form of peaceful protest. It might seem an impotent response, but I still think it's important (even if it's just a little-read post on a comedy message board).

I've read Foucault.

I've not read much myself lately either.

Quote: Griff @ April 9 2010, 1:27 PM BST

Have you ever read Bulldog Drummond? The Jews always did it.

nah but I saw Bullshot good film that.

that said Bulldog Drummond rips off the New Testamen, Protocols of the Elders of Zion, the Jew of Malta etcetc./

Quote: sootyj @ April 9 2010, 1:18 PM BST

No but he legitimises it and expands it.

He legitimizes the mocking, but I honestly don't think there is any hatred in what he says. If you're on a panel show, and suddenly you make a few 'near the bone' remarks about taboo topics that see's the audience in hysterics, wouldn't you continue? Especially when you become a superstar (in comedy terms), you find it easy (as he obviously does) and everything you say is tongue in cheek (which I do think it is). I remember a sketch you wrote about Haiti, and people on here jumped in saying how thoroughly offensive it was, but it wasn't in the slightest and I defended it, people are too quick to jump in nowadays and shout "I'm offended" in my opinion, and this is why Frankie Boyle thrives. When I went to see him (and I've said I didn't enjoy it) he made a disgusting Madelaine McCann joke, which I admit to laughing at. Now, did that make me think it was okay? No, it wasn't okay and that's why I was laughing. I think people really do laugh because of the "I can't believe he had the balls to say that" rather than the content itself.