Rock & Chips

The long-awaited Only Fools and Horse prequel, starring Nicholas Lyndhurst and James Buckley, will be shown on 24th January. It is a 90 minute one-off special.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/rock_and_chips/

And it clashes with the Season 8 premiere of 24 - dammit!

Rock & Chips? Is that the title? That's a touch on the duff side.

Glad it's a one off special rather than a series.
I'm sure it'll be done with love though.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 15 2010, 8:35 PM GMT

Rock & Chips? Is that the title? That's a touch on the duff side.

It's heinous. Once Upon a Time in Peckham was a much better title.

It should've been called In Thirty Odd Years Time We'll Be Millionaires (Briefly).

I'm looking forward to it. I reckon it'll be good, despite Nicholas Lyndhurst.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 15 2010, 10:08 PM GMT

I'm looking forward to it. I reckon it'll be good, despite Nicholas Lyndhurst.

What's wrong with Nicholas Lyndhurst?

It's billed as a comedy-drama, most likely because the Beeb has lost faith in Sullivan.

OFAH aside, I think his comedy output has been dire.

Oh, actually, I like that early one. The Two Of Us maybe?

I fear that this will be dreadful, appealing only to the incredibly die-hard OFAH fans. Errr

Hmmm...I dunno, surely it's a strange time of year to show a special/pilot?

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 15 2010, 10:58 PM GMT

I fear that this will be dreadful, appealing only to the incredibly die-hard OFAH fans. Errr

Like me :D

Quote: Dave @ January 15 2010, 10:52 PM GMT

It's billed as a comedy-drama, most likely because the Beeb has lost faith in Sullivan.

What on Earth makes you say that? It seems more likely than not that The Green Green Grass will be returning, and despite the somewhat strange scheduling Rock & Chips hasn't exactly been a low-key, low-budget production. No, it seems that, for some weird reason, they can't bear to classify anything longer than about 35 minutes as a sitcom. Unless it's a Christmas special, it becomes a comedy drama.

And I'll reserve making any prediction on the show. They've got a brilliant cast, but it could still go either way.

Quote: Aaron @ January 16 2010, 2:51 AM GMT

They've got a brilliant cast, but it could still go either way.

Ooooh, they go on a Jolly Boys' Outing too :D

Can't wait XD

Just to say, this is definitely a comedy drama, not a sitcom. For starters, it's one and a half hours long! It's basically the story of Del's younger years (the key word there is 'story'... it's more of a story than a comedy)

As James Buckley stresses in this interview, the connection with OFAH is loose so I don't think it'll be possible for OFAH fans to feel pleased or let down. I suspect some will feel let down though as they'll be tuning in for another OFAH episode when - and to really stress this - it's something totally different in terms of style, pace, direction and, well, everything really!

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 15 2010, 10:55 PM GMT

OFAH aside, I think his comedy output has been dire.

Oh, actually, I like that early one. The Two Of Us maybe?

I disagree with that he's done some good sitcoms....

Goodnight Sweetheart was brilliant, so different and well made, you only have to look at the sets, costumes and historic content to see how much effort they put into it to get it as spot on as possible.

After You've Gone, while not amazing was harmless family viewing, decent scripts and good characters, well acted by the cast.

Butterflies, a bit twee and la de dah maybe but was of it's time and quite good really, he wasn't the best in it but not awful either.

Never seen his others to comment, apart from Only Fools and Horses, which I would say was his best performance alongside Goodnight Sweetheart.

Quote: David Carmon @ January 16 2010, 3:02 PM GMT

I disagree with that he's done some good sitcoms....

I disagree, but we can't all like the same thing can we?

Goodnight Sweetheart was brilliant, so different and well made, you only have to look at the sets, costumes and historic content to see how much effort they put into it to get it as spot on as possible.

I thought it was sentimental crap, sorry. But I understand a lot of people enjoy it, including members of my family.

After You've Gone, while not amazing was harmless family viewing, decent scripts and good characters, well acted by the cast.

This young lad was it's only saving grace.

Butterflies, a bit twee and la de dah maybe but was of it's time and quite good really, he wasn't the best in it but not awful either.

As you say, twee. Geoffrey Palmer was great though, and the 'boys' (including Lyndhurst) were ok in there roles. I can't stand Carla Lane comedies though.

Only Fools and Horses, which I would say was his best performance

I agree with this, he's excellent in OFAH.