Rock & Chips Page 4

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/jan/22/rock-chips-prequel-fools-horses

Quote: chipolata @ January 20 2010, 7:29 PM GMT

John seemed disappointed that 'Don't be a moby' didn't catch on from the last OFAH specials... And yes, he had a swing at sweary comedy.

I think it was obvious because Del kept saying it in the comeback specials - but, 20 years down the line, it felt a bit too late to start a new catchphrase.

Concering Rock and Chips, it's a bit of a naff idea, really.

The whole idea of Only Fools and Horses is that their present is a comedy but their past is a tragedy. They went to great strains to describe how nasty Freddie the Frog and Reg actually were. In 'Sleeping In Peckham' - the worst OFAH episode ever - Del tells Rodney that Freddie was "a homebreaker, conman, a thief, a liar and a cheat". So how are we meant to symphathise with such a character who is ultimatley so unlikeable. None of the backstory characters are likeable - even Grandad was a lazy sod in his early days.

I loved 'Only Fools and Horses' so much better than the trash seen on TV here in the states. Maybe in time they will have 'Rock and Chips' on DVD over here too!

Well, I thought that that was bloody good stuff. Excellent performances all-round. Did feel a bit rushed towards the end, and I'm fairly sure that that was 1972 Tube stock (plus the modern fire alarm on the platform wall), but only minor quibbles.

I'd like to know what happens next though. Just how did Joanie die?

I had imagined Joanie to be far more brash and boisterous though, much more like Queenie than she was.

I was looking forward to this, but was disapointed to be fair.

I know it was billed as comedy / drama, but I must have missed the comedy bits. It almost went off after the first half hour.

NL was good though, as you would expect from a performer of his experiance.

So many things felt wrong - the relationship between Reg, Del and Grandad for a start.

The dynamic between Del's friends also didn't seem right.

Shame, I wanted it to be good.

I missed it, being repeated? Sorry will go and check the site. Ignore me.

I lasted about 15 minutes into this drama. I'm not sure which part of 60's London Sullivan was trying to recreate (Elstree?) - but it looked an awful lot like a bad Hovis commercial.

From the bits I did see, it struck me that Sullivan is very happy living in the past and I'm only laying off using the phrase 'cliche ridden' out of respect for OFAH.

Definitely one for nostalgia fans.

Quote: bigfella @ January 24 2010, 11:20 PM GMT

So many things felt wrong - the relationship between Reg, Del and Grandad for a start.

But that was exactly the relationship demonstrated in the 1983 Christmas special, Thicker Than Water, wasn't it? :S

Quote: Dave @ January 22 2010, 8:41 PM GMT

Concering Rock and Chips, it's a bit of a naff idea, really.

The whole idea of Only Fools and Horses is that their present is a comedy but their past is a tragedy. They went to great strains to describe how nasty Freddie the Frog and Reg actually were. In 'Sleeping In Peckham' - the worst OFAH episode ever - Del tells Rodney that Freddie was "a homebreaker, conman, a thief, a liar and a cheat". So how are we meant to symphathise with such a character who is ultimatley so unlikeable. None of the backstory characters are likeable - even Grandad was a lazy sod in his early days.

Good points, Rodney - sorry Dave. There's a strong argument for never doing a prequel, and that is: if the backstory needs to be told, why not start the drama there in the first place. Then there's the George Lucas form of prequel where a character goes through a door in one movie and comes out of it in another - ie everything is shown - nothing happens off screen. Letting things happen off screen is one of the writer's most powerful tools so it seems like a strange thing to throw away.

I enjoyed this and in many ways it was a serious exercise but there were a few issues. It wasn't a funny show, but what laughs there were weren't shared out too fairly. Trigger, Denzil and Boycie seemed to be underused and with Grandad Sullivan showed that he has either forgotten Grandad's backstory or never knew it - an utter waste of Phil Daniels - and amazing really that he took the part.

I also agree with Aaron about the presentation of Joanie - the actress playing her brassy friend Reenie would have been a better choice than Kellie Bright - whose lined face and knobbly knees would surely have failed to catch Freddie the Frog's eye.

It didn't offend me, but it didn't make me want more either so let's just hope it was a one off and we don't get yet another special. What could come next? Del & Rodney freeze themselves to be woken up when technology can make them young again in the year 3000?

Kellie Bright I thought was fairly ok, Nicholas Lyndhurst must have been having flashbacks of Goodnight Sweetheart with all the period sets and costume, but he played it well. I kept pretending he was playing an older Gary Sparrow.

James Buckely was likeable as were some of the other lads, I liked Boycie and Trigger but Denzel was a scouse stereotype and a bit wooden.

Please John Sullivan - NO MORE! You can't flog a dead Horse.

Rock & Chips leaves a better legacy then the last few Christmas specials did for OFAH. Much better than I was expecting and I honestly thought I'd pop over to this site and see pages of praise! oh well.

I liked most of it; Grandad was well done if underused. Kellie Bright was hot... that red sweater in her second to last scene with Freddie was popping. As far as her character goes... she had to be an angel; it is Del's mom. Reg Trotter on the other hand could've been a less likable in my eyes. I did think if they make a prequel to Man About the House, Shaun Dingwall would be a great George Roper if he can make the voice work. Dingwall's appearance means Faith No More video for "I started a Joke" now has stars from The Office, Nathan Barley and OFaH franchises! Not to get too sidetracked...

Nicholas Lyndhurst was great as the torch bearer from the original series. I myself have only seem him as Rodney Trotter and Piglet; so I was kinda worried. He made a pretty believable jerk when he needed to be.

The kids were alright.

It'd be odd if they followed this up with a special that saw Joan Trotter die and Freddie blown up... it could be a modern greek tragedy.

I only caught a snatch of this. It didn't look like a comedy.

Quote: Nogget @ January 25 2010, 8:03 AM GMT

I only caught a snatch of this. It didn't look like a comedy.

No, it definitely wasn't a comedy and I think it benefited from being a completely different style to OFAH.

I think Lyndhurst did sinister pretty well and most of them made a good fist of it, although Trigger was completely wasted - I think he'd have been the only character where you could have injected OFAH humour without jarring against the new style.

All in all I found it pretty enjoyable but I like OFAH too much and know it too well to be able to tell at the moment whether Rock & Chips would have stood on its own.