Rock & Chips Page 2

I'm going to go into this with an open mind. I'll be watching it for James Buckley as I think he's a good performer, even managed to get the best out of the piss poor character in Off The Hook.

Not really a fan of John Sullivan, beyond OFAH. Think he's a bit too old fashioned and not in a good way.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 16 2010, 3:35 PM GMT

I thought it was sentimental crap, sorry.

I wouldn't say there was alot sentimental about it. Perhaps a bit nostalgic in parts, which made it a bit of a history lesson at times. My 9 year old cousin is now hooked on it after I gave her a DVD to watch when she was doing a project on WWII and my mum who doesn't 'do' sitcoms much likes it. It has a broad appeal which is good.

I learnt alot about the history of the period from it.

There are people who think it was a bit theatrical and stagey but I like it for this.

As for Rock and Chips, is that the title now? Was it shortened down from the even more ridiculous one?

I'll stick to The History Channel (or God forbid, books ;) ) for my history lessons. :)

Rock and Chips is the title, and I have a feeling it'll be surprising good.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 16 2010, 4:08 PM GMT

I'll stick to The History Channel (or God forbid, books ;) ) for my history lessons. :)

Rock and Chips is the title, and I have a feeling it'll be surprising good.

I didnt mean I watched it for a history lesson, just that it could be a bit like one with all the historical bits and that I learnt alot from it that I wouldnt have got from other shows of it's kind.

Primarily I watched it to be entertained and to laugh, which I did alot, but alot of the stuff sank in without me even realising it until people would mention something and I would remember a random fact that I had heard and seem intelligent :)

Bit like a subliminal message really.

Its a good feat to be able to entertain, amuse and educate all at the same time.

Rock and Chips......hmmmmmmm......

I still don't understand the title, bit daft and unimaginitive really, bit lazy.

As long as the scripts are good then it should be a good laugh, the cast are all good enough to pull it off

I learnt a good deal about history from Goodnight Sweetheart too. War films were largely set abroad, and not much TV/Film is focussed on ordinary people back home in civvy street. It really brought that era to life.

The title was originally Once Upon a Time In Peckham, then Sex, Drugs, Rock & Chips and now simply "Rock & Chips" - referring to the food salmon rock and chips. I didn't get it immediatley either. It's a silly title which doesn't mean anything in its context now.

Actuallly rather looking forward to this. Great cast. Here's John Sullivan doing a BBC blog about it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/comedy/2010/01/john-sullivan-on-rock-chips.shtml

I wish there was a BCGer called Rock, then me and him could form an alliance to rival Bishop and Douch. As for the show, I'm quite looking forward to it.

Quote: chipolata @ January 19 2010, 10:14 AM GMT

I wish there was a BCGer called Rock, then me and him could form an alliance to rival Bishop and Douch. As for the show, I'm quite looking forward to it.

Did you enjoy their recent update?

Also, if there was a BCGer called Pin, you could team up with him and be like the double act in that Mitchell and Webb sketch.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 19 2010, 10:16 AM GMT

Did you enjoy their recent update?

Like, oh my god! Did I enjoy? Did I? Did I ever? But I'm following them on Twitter so I knew most of it before everybody else.

Also, is this the pilot for a potential new series? Or just a one off?

Quote: chipolata @ January 19 2010, 11:29 AM GMT

Also, is this the pilot for a potential new series? Or just a one off?

I think Mr Sullivan is regarding it as a one off, but with the attitute of 'you never know'.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 15 2010, 8:35 PM GMT

Rock & Chips? Is that the title? That's a touch on the duff side.

That's all we had in the 50s/60s :D

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 19 2010, 2:12 PM GMT

I think Mr Sullivan is regarding it as a one off, but with the attitute of 'you never know'.

More likely thinking there might be job in it for the lad.

Well, they couldn't rustle up a laugh in the trailer I saw this evening - so I guess it's leaning towards the drama side of comedy/drama.

Or it's just not very funny.

Quote: bushbaby @ January 19 2010, 8:25 PM GMT

That's all we had in the 50s/60s :D

I thought there was roll as well? a Rock 'n' Chip Roll?

Quote: David Carmon @ January 20 2010, 12:47 AM GMT

I thought there was roll as well? a Rock 'n' Chip Roll?

Laughing out loud