The standard of writing on this website Page 9

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 27 2009, 9:39 PM BST

I think people don't like it when he, or anyone else, just says 'It's Shit'. That kind of response obvioulsy leads to aggro and bad feeling. Even if it does make you snigger at times.

He does pretty much the same for everyone though, but once he's got consistency in his means of critique, surely it's okay? Besides it's just one person's opinion, someone isn't going to like it no matter what.

I suppose he could be more detailed alright.

Quote: sardines @ July 27 2009, 9:52 PM BST

He does pretty much the same for everyone though, but once he's got consistency in his means of critique, surely it's okay? Besides it's just one person's opinion, someone isn't going to like it no matter what.

I don't know if it's Ok or not really, but of course that kind of repsonse is going to annoy some people. No one likes being told quite so bluntly that they're shit! :D

Quote: Griff @ July 27 2009, 9:53 PM BST

He's like that permanent unfunny heckler at a stand-up gig who the bouncers refuse to throw out. Some acts persevere, others decide to do other venues instead.

I post in critique...oh god, I'm shit aren't I. This thread is about me isn't it. Mother said this would happen.

Quote: pedros @ July 27 2009, 10:04 PM BST

I post in critique...oh god, I'm shit aren't I. This thread is about me isn't it. Mother said this would happen.

:D

I get the impression that often people posting comments on Critique threads will go along with the prevailing opinion or not post at all.

I still haven't plucked up the courage to tell

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/14272

that I think it's a really dull and unfunny sketch.

And on the other hand I may have accidentally set the tone for the critique of

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/14225

by posting the first criticism. Which I think was a bad idea with hindsight.

I think too many of the sketch ones go for the shock twist at the end.
Don't tend to like ones about celebrities/pop culture references about 95% of the time so I don't view them generally.

I love drawing things out for ridiculous lengths far too much, spend more time trying to be different than funny and can't actually write jokes(lord knows what I'm even up to), so I don't post much stuff myself.

Oi Oi - no probs Kev.

I'm a pretty self-confident bloke (or cock, as my friend likes to say) but I'm all for the crit section.

As far as I'm concerned, someone can round on my favourite bit of writing and say it's a right pile of shite. I won't believe them.

If someone picks up some flaws for me, or says it's not for them then great - I've learned a bit about my demographic. It's there for whatever use we want to make of it.

In saying that, I'm not a great commenter - I tend not to comment on the stuff I don't really like.

Quote: Griff @ July 27 2009, 10:12 PM BST

I'm the opposite to you Timbo.

I don't find coming up with ideas difficult, I've got notepads full of them. But it can take me hours and hours to write a sketch.

There are possibly sketches I should think about, and try different approaches with, rather than going with the first angle that comes to mind.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ July 27 2009, 10:15 PM BST

I get the impression that often people posting comments on Critique threads will go along with the prevailing opinion or not post at all.

I still haven't plucked up the courage to tell

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/14272

that I think it's really dull and unfunny sketch.

And on the other hand I may have accidentally set the tone for the critique of

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/14225

by posting the first criticism. Which I think was a bad idea with hindsight.

Valid point there. It works just as well with straight vikings.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ July 27 2009, 10:15 PM BST

If a sketch is being praised, and It is just not for me, I don't see any point in posting.

If a sketch is taking a pasting I am not going to join in just for the sake of it, but if someone makes an interesting point, others might see the same thing or be taken with the insight shown.

Once a thread has attracted a certain number of comments, others will check it out out of curiosity, but the prevailing tone of the comments is likely to remain the same as those made previously, based purely on the sketch's merits.

For those who haven't guessed I love critique and read everything in it. It's one of the most vibrant and enjoyable forums of it's kind on the internet and when I couldn't get on BSG for a while I couldn't find it's equal. I love finding something really slick and professional, the weird the odd, Nigel Kelly's 5 second wonders and the occaisonal glorious stinker often written by you're truly. I even like the stuff that is quite clearly written to take the piss, I guess "the jokes on me".

Critique isn't perfect. When I put something up I do think there's a tendency to soft soap to be blandly positive. I know I've written well when I inspire people to suggest improvements and to be irritated that I just missed the point. Bland praise isn't always helpful. So if you have something to say then say it. Generally if you're well intentioned then people may disagree with you butthat's it.

It's a little weedy to moan that critique is to soft and then say nothing.

And all my stuff in critique is imperfect and in need of work.

N.B. this doesn't apply to the tiresome minority of wind up artists who hang around making deliberately unhelpful remarks or being rude. If a dog takes a shit and a man stares, it's the man who's the pervert not the dog.

Hmmm so if we can't suggest improvement then we shouldn't bother saying we like it? For me, if I like it I'll say so (plus any suggestions I have). If I don't, I don't tend to unless someone has raised a point I agree with.

Don't think I'll bother either way in the future, the fun's gone out of this place recently.

Sooty, in my inexperienced opinion you've just smacked several nails squarely on the head, deep into pliant wood.

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 27 2009, 11:02 PM BST

Hmmm so if we can't suggest improvement then we shouldn't bother saying we like it? For me, if I like it I'll say so (plus any suggestions I have). If I don't, I don't tend to unless someone has raised a point I agree with.

Don't think I'll bother either way in the future, the fun's gone out of this place recently.

Not at all, not at all. If your view is a sketch just doesn't work then say so or if you think it could be funnier say that as well.

What I mean is a real weapons grade sketch is so funny and original it inspires others to think of improvements not just praise it.