The standard of writing on this website Page 7

I know because I've worked with them.

Quote: YesNo @ July 27 2009, 7:45 PM BST

Did you serve them tea?

Quote: Scottidog @ July 27 2009, 7:44 PM BST

Do you consider yourself a 'very good writer' Matt? because you do not post?

Well, I like to think I'm Ok. But that has nothing to do with why I don't post material. I'm sure those that do find it helpful.

Quote: don rushmore @ July 27 2009, 7:46 PM BST

Did you serve them tea?

That's not why it's called the "Tearoom Trade", Don.

Quote: YesNo @ July 27 2009, 7:45 PM BST

ok, I see now.

But to be honest, if alot of people say that-

Isn't it a bit like telling everyone that you've got a big cock, but not actually showing anyone?

Yeah, if you like.

I'm having increasingly less time to read Crit but my observations are:

I'm aware that there are several groups of writers that have different aspirations, talents, and at varying stages of a writing arc. I try and work out which group writers fall into; whether they're serious and aiming high or doing it as a hobby or a laugh. I try to pitch my crit with an eye to the person receiving it, while still being straight.

My more detailed crit goes to writers I know through PM. I'm more confident they'll know my intent is not bad. If I doubt it, I'll err on caution.

There are some writers that I always read because they're consistent and they either think / write like me or they're completely different to me. One for the appeal to my humour, the other to appeal to my mind as clever ideas.

I'm not a fan of satirical so I rarely read them unless I'm in the mood for a change or I know the writer.

There is a group of writers in Crit that I think are totally undervalued by their peers when compared to others; or are misunderstood. I won't name them but many people will know who they are.

I sometimes think the problem with Crit is that it becomes Aesop's fable about the man riding the donkey, whatever edits you make based on feedback, no one will be happy with it, because comedy is so personal. If you have a suspicion about a piece and a peer spots it then that's the best benefit from Crit - confirmation of your instinct.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 27 2009, 7:48 PM BST

Well, I like to think I'm Ok. But that has nothing to do with why I don't post material. I'm sure those that do find it helpful.

Can I ask why you don't? To be honest Matt, I havn't posted much in critique for the last couple of months and I find it helps me write better for what I actually intend to write for in the first place. I do believe the critique can take up alot of your time, and sidetrack you.

Quote: YesNo @ July 27 2009, 7:48 PM BST

Yeah, if you like.

What sort of comedy writing do you do YesNO?

Quote: don rushmore @ July 27 2009, 7:46 PM BST

Did you serve them tea?

:D

Don. It hasn't even been 5 minutes. ;)

Quote: SlagA @ July 27 2009, 7:50 PM BST

If you have a suspicion about a piece and a peer spots it then that's the best benefit from Crit - confirmation of your instinct.

Spot on.

Quote: Scottidog @ July 27 2009, 7:52 PM BST

Can I ask why you don't?

I've been writing comedy for a few years now and I'm at a stage where I have a degree of confidence in my own output; I don't really feel the need to have it critiqued by anyone other than those in the industry.

I mostly write sitcom and sketch shows although I've done some stuff for comedy entertainment. I've written some drama but it's not half as much fun as comedy and I find myself not giving a shit about what happens to any of the characters.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 27 2009, 7:57 PM BST

I've been writing comedy for a few years now and I'm at a stage where I have a degree of confidence in my own output; I don't really feel the need to have it critiqued by anyone other than those in the insdustry.

Ok, good responce.

I am new to comedy writing and have been writing since April.

At first I needed people to tell me it was good, because I wanted to know if I was any good at comedy writing.
Now im more than happy, and will continue to pursue it fully as I am confident I can achieve.

Quote: YesNo @ July 27 2009, 7:59 PM BST

I mostly write sitcom and sketch shows although I've done some stuff for comedy entertainment. I've written some drama but it's not half as much fun as comedy and I find myself not giving a shit about what happens to any of the characters.

Or...

Are you a 12 year old boy who reads comic books?

The wonders of forums eh?

:)

I was simply trying to answer the thread as requested. I don't understand why this has been taken the wrong way.

Quote: YesNo @ July 27 2009, 8:13 PM BST

I was simply trying to answer the thread as requested. I don't understand why this has been taken the wrong way.

Enjoying the school holidays, YesNo?*

*Only joking

Ignore them. Everyone's a bit hormonal today. :)