The standard of writing on this website Page 4

Quote: Marc P @ July 27 2009, 5:05 PM BST

Yes that's the one, he is going to be mentoring and giving a lecture at the comedy college too apparently.

Laughing out loud

I hope they brought their pencils.

Quote: Marc P @ July 27 2009, 5:05 PM BST

Yes that's the one, he is going to be mentoring and giving a lecture at the comedy college too apparently.

He's a successful writer!
If other people who want to be successful writers want to hear him speak, let them, I say.

Quote: zooo @ July 27 2009, 5:34 PM BST

If other people who want to be successful writers want to hear him speak, let them, I say.

Hear, hear!

*stiffles giggles*

Quote: zooo @ July 27 2009, 5:34 PM BST

Quite right too.

Shut up you lot! :)

LOL

Now about the standard of writing on this site.

The students on the course probably specifically asked for him to come and talk to them. :|

No, really, I would honestly pay money to attend a masterclass by Tim Dawson. I'd be fascinated to hear his insights and opinions. Perhaps a little of his comedy gold-dust would be sprinkled on us eager wannabees, as we sat captivated, in the audience?

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 27 2009, 5:30 PM BST

Is that me or Griff, Don?

It's Griff - my main nemesis on here.

Sorry for any confusion, Tim. :)

Ho-hum. Though I don't think Griff was licking my arse or vice-versa. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 27 2009, 5:38 PM BST

No, really, I would honestly pay money to attend a masterclass by Tim Dawson. I'd be fascinated to hear his insights and opinions. Perhaps a little of his comedy gold-dust would be sprinkled on us wannabees in the audience?

Exactly. He could give a lot of insight into sexual inneundo.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 27 2009, 5:40 PM BST

Ho-hum. Though I don't think Griff was licking my arse or vice-versa. :)

Just a little gag I was having at the expense of Griff.

The two of us go way back.

I post on Critique because humour is a very personal thing, which is to say that what I find funny, other people might not - and vice versa. This is particularly true of sketches. The reaction, and quite often the lack of reaction, is very enlightening. Personal favourites have bombed, and ones I almost didn't bother posting have been ridiculously well-recieved. All of which is terrifically helpful in compiling a portfolio.

I am more than happy for anyone to comment on my work, whether or not they post on Critique themselves, and I hope I accept well-intentioned criticism graciously, though I reserve my right to explain myself. Even if I do not always accept the criticism at the time, I will often see the wisdom upon reflection. I have also ocassionally been gifted lines I can use.

I try to tailor my criticism to what I think the poster can usefully use, and my praise to my expectations of them and the potential I see in them. Except for Sooty who I just slap around for the fun of it.

Of course the hit rate in Critique could be higher, but bearing in mind that even Mitchell & Webb contains its share of turkeys, perhaps expectations should not be too high. Comedy is hard, and writing performance comedy is harder still, because until it is performed no-one really knows. If you think something is not funny, it might just be that you do not have the imagination to envisage it. So when other people are praising a sketch and I do not see it, I would think it presumptious for me to wade in and say it is crap.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 27 2009, 5:40 PM BST

Exactly. He could give a lot of insight into sexual inneundo.

I went into the bar the other day and asked for a double entendre, the barmaid asked what it meant so I gave her a thorough explanation.