The standard of writing on this website Page 10

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 27 2009, 11:02 PM BST

Don't think I'll bother either way in the future, the fun's gone out of this place recently.

Don't worry about it chief. Ignore the people that irritate you can carry on on your merry way

<3

:) If only.

Quote: sootyj @ July 27 2009, 11:04 PM BST

Not at all, not at all. If your view is a sketch just doesn't work then say so or if you think it could be funnier say that as well.

What I mean is a real weapons grade sketch is so funny and original it inspires others to think of improvements not just praise it.

Oh. Ok.

I should add during my time in the wilderness I came upon an American comedy forum. And set to pointing out how all their sketches were too long, lacked punches and had to few jokes.

The general response was we know this, these are the sketches we like. Yours are too short, to crude and to joke obsessed.

So like David Banner I found myself hitching along the electronic highway whistling the the from the Hulk.

Moral comedy forums tend to set their own standards.

Who gives a shit what the standard is like? If you get something out of it and enjoy it, do it. If you don't, don't.

Quote: Griff @ July 27 2009, 11:15 PM BST

Writing isn't easy... but critique-ing isn't easy either*. I've got it wrong plenty of times, and felt like a schmuck afterwards.

I don't even know what point I'm making here.

(*Obviously, just saying "It's shit" is easy, which is why assholes do it.)

I dunno Griff I look out for your comments you're generally one of the striaghter, more helpful critics.

When you're not swearing and getting angry, even then you're usually right.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ July 27 2009, 11:04 PM BST

Sooty, in my inexperienced opinion you've just smacked several nails squarely on the head, deep into pliant wood.

He has indeed.

Quote: sootyj @ July 27 2009, 11:18 PM BST

When you're not swearing and getting angry, even then you're usually right.

Also its entertaining.

I post the odd sketch in critique if it's not something I'm planning to animate. The main reason is probably because I've got nothing better to do with them! I always try to give a couple of comments back whenever I post something. Most sketches I see are good ideas but just need more work before posting.

Feedback is always OK but never really specific enough to be of any great help. I think you get better feedback just agreeing to swap sketches with someone who you trust.

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 27 2009, 11:02 PM BST

Hmmm so if we can't suggest improvement then we shouldn't bother saying we like it?

Hey some of us like uncritical adulation!

I have to say I've found some genuine surprisingly funny and weird stuff that made me laugh out loud.

Maybe a contest for the best thing to com out of critique?

Quote: Timbo @ July 27 2009, 11:22 PM BST

Hey some of us like uncritical adulation!

You couldn't have put that any better Timbo!

Quote: Badge @ July 27 2009, 11:24 PM BST

You couldn't have put that any better Timbo!

:D

A problem I have with the critique section is that when you read any sketch it just feels so flat, but that doesn't mean the inspiration for it hasn't got 'comedy legs'. I'm sure if we read what a large majority of people believe to be the funniest TV comedy moments written down (e.g. Del Boy falling through the bar) we wouldn't think 'wow this is going to be a definitive comedy moment'. This is what makes critiquing such a hard job. But as a place for amateurs to try out little ideas they have, to see if its worth their time to try and develop it, then I suppose it offers an outlet at the very least to try and get some feedback. Keep on posting sketches!

I hate to compete, I only like to win.

And why don't you sir? Sounds like a duel! Sketches at 6 paces.

Quote: The Giggle-o @ July 27 2009, 11:27 PM BST

A problem I have with the critique section is that when you read any sketch it just feels so flat, but that doesn't mean the inspiration for it hasn't got 'comedy legs'. I'm sure if we read what a large majority of people believe to be the funniest TV comedy moments written down (e.g. Del Boy falling through the bar) we wouldn't think 'wow this is going to be a definitive comedy moment'. This is what makes critiquing such a hard job. But as a place for amateurs to try out little ideas they have, to see if its worth their time to try and develop it, then I suppose it offers an outlet at the very least to try and get some feedback. Keep on posting sketches!

Well obviously critique isn't magic. But why not film yourself falling over stick it on YouTube and post the link?

Quote: sootyj @ July 27 2009, 11:28 PM BST

I hate to compete, I only like to win.

And why don't you sir? Sounds like a duel! Sketches at 6 paces.

Well obviously critique isn't magic. But why not film yourself falling over stick it on YouTube and post the link?

Because that wouldn't be a f**king sketch would it? and I haven't got enough money for a camera.

:)

You could fall over at the scene of a major disaster and appear on the news?

I threw a custard pie during the Italian earthquakes.