Worst 10 British sitcoms ever Page 8

I used to be a film geek.

Quote: zooo @ February 26 2009, 2:34 PM GMT

I'm not really too fond of Two And A Half Men. Despite liking Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer in most other things.

The kid annoys me I think. I don't understand what he is.

Yea it's too bad. I like the cast (minus the kid) but the script is just horrendous. It's almost a parody of bad sitcoms.
P.S. sorry about the name slip Aaron. Was my last message sent before my prof started walking towards the back of the room where I was sitting. :)

Quote: vim1 @ February 25 2009, 7:51 PM GMT

I can remember the start of the theme tune for Doctors Daughters.

#Doctors Daughters busy in the surgery# With a little bouncing ball above the words on the screen so that you could sing along at home.

Just to make clear, Doctor's Daughters has got nothing to do with the brilliant London-Weekend-Television 'Doctors' series.

Heil Honey I'm Home http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbj9otRPdiM

That's nowhere near as bad as its reputation would suggest.

I would love to see the other filmed episodes.

As sitcoms go, there was another sitcom that suffered the same fate as Heil Honey I'm Home called Jewell in the Crown. This was on in the eighties and was written by Johnny Speight and featured Spike Milligan and Eric Sykes, Milligan was blacked up in it. That was made, but has never been shown on television, yet I know a seller who has the episode that was made.
Likewise in the 1970s, the BBC commisioned a sitcom called The Melting Pot, which saw Spike Milligan and John Bird blacked up. A series of six episodes was commisioned by the BBC and the first episode was shown but it was then taken off. It is believed that had the full series have been shown, it would have been as a lot more infamous and offensive, than say Love thy Neighbour.
So two Spike Milligan efforts here that had the same problem as Heil Honey I'm Home.

Hardwicke House also suffered a similar fate, but for its portrayal of the education system.

So you say you know someone with the Jewell In The Crown episode, eh?

Yes, it's that seller whose e-mali address I gave you the other month.

Brill. :)

Come on people - "Butterflies" must surely be number one!! Surely. Sitcoms are supposed to make you laugh but this thing just made me feel intensely depressed.

Nicholas Lyndhurst must reflect on this part of his career and think, "thank f**k Del Boy came along!"

It's funny how subjective these things are, I really liked Butterflies, I thought the pathos was wonderful but you're right it did leave me feeling sad sometimes but in a bittersweet way. I'm a huge nostalgic though and the theme always fills we with joy.

Butterflies obviously doesn't deserve any mention in this thread.

I was surprised recently when I looked through a list of sitcoms between the mid-1990s and mid-2000s. Over that decade long period there were so many high profile flops that it isn't really a surprise that primetime sitcoms have yet to really recover.

Just some that I can remember now are...Mad About Alice, 'Orrible, Baddiel's Syndrome, Married With Children, Doctors and Nurses, The Legacy of Reginald Perrin, Celeb, The House that Jack Built, Lee Evans - So What Now?, Pay and Display, Keeping Mum, Dark Ages, A Prince Among Men, Days Like These, Babes in the Wood, The Brighton Belles, Cows, Paul Merton in Galton and Simpson's...

Butterflies is not a situation comedy. It is a situation drama.
I mean, where is the laugh-out-loud comedy for pete's sake!? The programme is ridden with pathos, and makes me feel melancholy whenever I watch it.

I can appreciate the show's relevance as a social commentary on the frustrated suburban housewife, but the general level of comedy is simply not strong enough.

The funniest part is watching the show and sayng, "Rodney you dipstick! What you doing there?"

Quote: Nick @ May 17 2009, 5:31 AM BST

Just some that I can remember now are...Mad About Alice, 'Orrible, Baddiel's Syndrome, Married With Children, Doctors and Nurses, The Legacy of Reginald Perrin, Celeb, The House that Jack Built, Lee Evans - So What Now?, Pay and Display, Keeping Mum, Dark Ages, A Prince Among Men, Days Like These, Babes in the Wood, The Brighton Belles, Cows, Paul Merton in Galton and Simpson's...

Good list, though Merton was not as bad as all that, and Doctors and Nurses would have been a lot better without the bloody awful Ade Edmondson in the lead.

Astonished at some of the other names put forward on this list: dinnerladies? Dear John...? Roger, Roger? Butterflies?!

Quote: Baskie Anderson @ May 17 2009, 1:59 AM BST

Come on people - "Butterflies" must surely be number one!! Surely. Sitcoms are supposed to make you laugh but this thing just made me feel intensely depressed.

Nicholas Lyndhurst must reflect on this part of his career and think, "thank f**k Del Boy came along!"

Quite.

Quote: Nick @ May 17 2009, 5:31 AM BST

Butterflies obviously doesn't deserve any mention in this thread.

I was surprised recently when I looked through a list of sitcoms between the mid-1990s and mid-2000s. Over that decade long period there were so many high profile flops that it isn't really a surprise that primetime sitcoms have yet to really recover.

I think you're going to have to define "flops" here, because there are a few there which ran for more than one series.