- 1978 - 2000
- BBC Two
- 28 (4 series), plus 2 short specials
- Wendy Craig, Geoffrey Palmer, Bruce Montague, Nicholas Lyndhurst, Andrew Hall, Joyce Windsor, Michael Ripper and Sarah James
- Carla Lane
- John B Hobbs and Sydney Lotterby
- Gareth Gwenlan and Sydney Lotterby
Ria Parkinson is married to Ben, a butterfly-collecting dentist who seems to take her for granted. The pair have two grown-up sons, Adam and Russell, who also take her for granted. Feeling dissatisfied with her life Ria meets Leonard and spends the next few years almost having an affair with the dashing businessman.
Whilst the other Parkinson family members don't recognise anything wrong with Ria or her life, she falls deeper into a world of depressive confusion and indecision with Leonard apparently the sole light at the end of the tunnel. Leonard or Ben? Who knows...
- The theme is Love Is Like A Butterfly, which was originally written and performed by Dolly Parton. This version is sung by British singer Clare Torry with music arranged by Ronnie Hazlehurst.
- First broadcast
- Friday 10th November 1978 at 9pm on BBC Two
- Most recent repeats
- Wednesday 11th May 2022 at 6:00pm on Drama - Series 2, Christmas Special
- Tuesday 10th May 2022 at 6:00pm on Drama - Series 4, Episode 5
- Monday 9th May 2022 at 6:00pm on Drama - Series 4, Episode 4