Free Agents Page 13

Quote: miss_jaffacake @ March 20 2009, 10:38 PM GMT

Just finished watching the last episode of this series and this series really was very much top-notch. I loved the elongated scene between the two at the wedding. Just wonderful, both characters are so human which makes it all the better.

Definitely. I don't really recall laughing that much to the series, but it was really entertaining and satisfying to watch. :)

I thought that was a good ending. I've enjoyed this, and the banter/dialogue between the two leads was probably the most natural I've ever heard in any sitcom ever. That said, maybe that's why it's probably more comedy-drama. Their boss is probably what drags it into sitcom, rather than their own relationship.

More please, Channel 4!

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 21 2009, 12:11 PM GMT

More please, Channel 4!

Dan

I agree. I thoroughly enjoyed this series especially when the boss became a more rounded character as time went on. But mostly loving the leads.

I was a bit confused last night though when Ken Barlow's girlfriend turned up as a madame! :O I couldn't place her at first. She's had a busy year!

Jx

Quote: Jane Perrin @ March 21 2009, 5:46 PM GMT

I was a bit confused last night though when Ken Barlow's girlfriend turned up as a madame! :O

Jx

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Wait till Ken finds out what she does 'in the theatre'.

I thought that was a good ending. I've enjoyed this, and the banter/dialogue between the two leads was probably the most natural I've ever heard in any sitcom ever. That said, maybe that's why it's probably more comedy-drama. Their boss is probably what drags it into sitcom, rather than their own relationship. . .
Dan

Yes, agree with that totally Dan.

. . . More please, Channel 4!

Dan

Hmmm... after that 'good ending' (to which I am in complete agreement - it was), I'm not so sure now about a second series. The ending had a dramatic integrity to it that demanded the story end there. The same couple in further series going through an on/off 'Penny and Vince' (Just Good Friends) type of relationship would dilute the merit of the first series. I was hoping they wouldn't get-it-together at the end then the impetus for a second series would be all the more acute. We'd want to know: whatever happened to them?

As it is, it has artistic merit in finishing where it has - much as I loved watching the series. As things stand the story completes itself in its current format.

I'd much prefer the writer Chris Neil, to show us what else he can do. His talents lie not in sitcoms but clearly in romcom land.

This was easily the best episode. I think the boss feels a bit too much of a one trick pony but nonetheless he is the main catalyst of the humour - all of the stuff about him marrying a prostitute was brilliant, escpecially laughing when the priest asked if they vowed to be faithful.
Perhaps in general it does need to be funnier and maybe they should try to get more of the laughs from the relationship rather than relying on the agency workers and agency situations for most of the laughs.

I enjoyed the series, but it really does need to be a bit funnier to earn the tag 'comedy'. There were laughs there, but not enough. So like I say, entertaining, but not as funny as you feel it should be.

Quote: Danny K @ March 21 2009, 6:23 PM GMT

Yes, agree with that totally Dan.
Hmmm... after that 'good ending' (to which I am in complete agreement - it was), I'm not so sure now about a second series. The ending had a dramatic integrity to it that demanded the story end there. The same couple in further series going through an on/off 'Penny and Vince' (Just Good Friends) type of relationship would dilute the merit of the first series. I was hoping they wouldn't get-it-together at the end then the impetus for a second series would be all the more acute. We'd want to know: whatever happened to them?

As it is, it has artistic merit in finishing where it has - much as I loved watching the series. As things stand the story completes itself in its current format.

I'd much prefer the writer Chris Neil, to show us what else he can do. His talents lie not in sitcoms but clearly in romcom land.

Chris wrote a comedy-drama series called 'Wonderful You' I not sure where it aired. Might be worth tracking down. Think this definitely deserves recommissioning and I think this is a sitcom, though I can understand that the way it is filmed and written why some think of it as a comedy drama. The last episode was very strong, but the stand-out episode for me was number 5. Met Chris very briefly, but wish him best of luck and congratulations. Fingers crossed for more.

In a time-warp and just caught the last episode of this.

Best thing that's been on in a long while. Great writing and excellent acting too. I loved its style and for me its pace and delivery were spot on. It's a lot more like how people interact - than say (no I won't compare them) - and the plots and their development were great too.

I like my laughs more subtle than a twenty foot purple elephant flashing up on-screen holding a sign saying "gag coming up" then having that followed with laughter.

If it's funny - don't worry, I'll get it. This was and I did.

Well done to all concernend and although it would be nice to see these characters return, I think that the story finished nicely and it should be left where it has been.

This show has a great soundtrack. What's the song during the end credits of ep. 6, anyone know?

I thought this was excellent. Clever well written funny television.
Goodness me that's rare isn't it?

:)

Did they like your book or something?

;)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 31 2009, 9:21 AM BST

Did they like your book or something?

;)

Dan

:)

I really liked NGO too mind, can't believe they're pulling it.

I haven't seen this. Have I missed out? Darn it, I'm so uncool.

You are so uncool you have melted!