The Old Guys - Series 1 Page 13

Quote: David Chapman @ February 14 2009, 10:17 PM GMT

I remember mentioning her before and someone said they hadn't noticed she was oriental.

That was zooo.

She still didn't notice. >_<

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 14 2009, 9:58 PM GMT

Yes in some respects; no in terms of quality.

Well no, indeed not. But the basic set up, the characters, the dynamic between them, even many of the lines I can quite easily picture coming from Jeremy (Tom - Roger Lloyd-Pack) to Mark (Roy - Clive Swift).

I have only seen tonight's episode, so cannot comment on the first 2 episodes. Whilst I can understand the Peep Show + 30 comment, I think this was a decent half-hour, with lines subtly better than those you would usually find in a BBC1 mainstream sitcom.
The performances of the leads are great, especially Roger LP.

The best episode of the three so far in my opinion. Funnier than last week that's for sure. I think this show is starting to find it's feet now.

Quote: earman2009 @ February 15 2009, 7:55 PM GMT

The best episode of the three so far in my opinion. Funnier than last week that's for sure. I think this show is starting to find it's feet now.

Absolutly agree with this. Thought #1 was weak, #2 was awful but #3 showed some real signs of life. Still hate Sally and RLP's daughter but Pack and Swift are finding their feet. You can feel a bit more chemistry, it feels less forced, they are delivering everything better and it felt like a smooth, enjoyable half hour.

I think a lot of the problem is that there is no edge to the relationship between the two guys. Friends take the piss out of each other all the time, play off one another but these two were just so nice to each other until this week that it didn't click.

It helped that the scene in the pub was very good, gave the episode a LOL moment.

This show is starting to grow on me, I must say. A decent third episode. Surely the BBC can't have two good sitcoms on at the same time?! People'll start talking about a 'golden age' as they usually do when two or three good shows are on within a couple of years of each other.

Quote: Rick Skelton @ February 16 2009, 12:40 PM GMT

I think a lot of the problem is that there is no edge to the relationship between the two guys. Friends take the piss out of each other all the time, play off one another but these two were just so nice to each other until this week that it didn't click.

Are you being serious?

Quote: Aaron @ February 16 2009, 4:19 PM GMT

Are you being serious?

Yeah, I didn't feel any friendly tension between them at all in the first two episodes. They felt more like people who happen to live in the same house. This week, it felt a lot more like a (sorry, Still Game comparison coming!) Jack and Victor sort of relationship.

You only have to watch Not Going Out to see how many of the gags come from Lee and Tim biting each other, yet they are good friends. It works much better. The Old Guys seemed to be shying away from any conflict, despite the fact that they are supposed to be mates and were both in love with the woman over the road. I felt like their relationship was barely touched upon until this week. RLP's character having something on Swift changed the dynamic slightly too. Made for a better episode.

Well I don't know what show you were watching then, because for me there's almost nothing BUT tension. It IS Peep Show: Swift's character is Mitchell's, who is the only-slightly more responsible one, constantly aggravated by Lloyd-Pack's (Webb) childish behaviour. Teasing someone about going to the toilet in the way LP did would be classed as bullying in today's schools.

Competing with the other by going out on a refreshing walk. Lloyd-Pack putting his foot in it regarding the therapist, and Swift's reaction. It's all there plain as day.

I saw no different in episode 3 than in episodes 1 or 2.

Yeah, you're right about those things, thinking back. It just didn't come across well, I guess, because I totally wiped it from my mind. Might have to watch it again. I definitely felt there was more between the two of them in the third episode.

I just started watching this series, didn't know there were two previous ones. I think it's a great show, two very experienced actors in Clive Swift and Roger Lloyd-Pack make it what could be a daft show into something really classy. Last night's was brilliant.

Not a lot of posts about lasts nights episode? The last 1/3 of the show was excellent! Tom's poem was brilliant.

Are people starting to like this yet?

I had a couple of chuckles here and there. I wouldn't worry if I missed it though.

Wonderful dialogue! And RLP's delivery is utterly glorious. The differentiation of character in this and, as Owen, in 'Dibley' simply proves what a national treasure he is.

Quote: bigfella @ February 22 2009, 11:49 AM GMT

Are people starting to like this yet?

Nope. :D

I watched The Bourne Identity instead. I've never seen it before. Cracking film.

I found this week's the funniest so far.