The Old Guys - Series 1 Page 14

I really like it, I found last night's episode very entertaining again. It may not be the cleverest sitcom ever, but it is funny. It is a decent sitcom, which is better than that can be said for the latest crop of BBC sitcoms.
Even the theme tune's growing on me a bit.

Yeah, funny episode. The speech was great. (...and I've never had a problem with the theme tune - it's quirky!)

I'm still worried about episode six though. The subject matter of the episode could result in the show ending up in The Daily Mail, and the proceeding complaints stopping it getting a second series.

What's it about?

Quote: catskillz @ February 23 2009, 1:47 AM GMT

What's it about?

The Old Guys.

Quote: Zoe Reid @ February 22 2009, 11:27 AM GMT

I just started watching this series, didn't know there were two previous ones.

No no, no previous series. Just one pilot. :)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_old_guys/

Anyway, I really enjoyed episode 4. The theme tune is still some kind of criminal offence, but the show proper is a real grower IMO. Although I still don't like Sally. Too inconsistent to grow attached to her - and whilst she's not exactly 'ugly', IMO is nowhere near attractive enough for their adoration to really be believable.

Quote: Aaron @ February 23 2009, 11:08 AM GMT

Anyway, I really enjoyed episode 4. The theme tune is still some kind of criminal offence, but the show proper is a real grower IMO. Although I still don't like Sally. Too inconsistent to grow attached to her - and whilst she's not exactly 'ugly', IMO is nowhere near attractive enough for their adoration to really be believable.

You (or me for that matter) aren't in your 60s though are you. I'd be really worried if you fancied Jane Asher.

Well, no, I'm not - but then it's not so much me finding the character attractive as me being able to believe/appreciate that others do.

Yeah, this programme's really growing on me. The characters are becoming clearer as we go on. Good jokes an' all. And as for Jane Asher - I'd give her one. And I'm not (terribly) old.

Episodes 3 and 4 were really good (after the dip of episode 2). Very funny and much better than expected.

Agree with Tim about the lines being much better than a standard BBC One primetime comedy -- some of them are great and made me laugh out loud.

Also agree with Aaron about the theme tune being a criminal offence!

My main criticism (though not that much, tbh) is that maybe Clive Swift acts a little too much for the role sometimes! :)

Dan

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 22 2009, 10:04 PM GMT

Even the theme tune's growing on me a bit.

It is just not as bad as it was when I first heard it, it is still awful.

After trying to get into the first 2 or 3 episodes, The O/Guys has lost me. Too slow, and nowhere near enough laughs. However it's still retaining commendable viewing figures (higher than NGOut), so made an effort to see Saturday's episode today, (Wed). Found the opening predictably boring and unengaging. Stayed with it, but oh, far too much of a laughter-free zone for me.

Then as Jack M (I think), said on an earlier page, the last third of the show suddenly remembered it was supposed to be imitating a sitcom and sprang to life as if cardiac arrest paddles had been applied to its chest. Genuinely funny scene where Lloydy taunts a bereft Swift that he caused the death of his new friend, by running him into the ground. And it never let up from there on. With the funeral poem scene so funny I was wiping tears of laughter away.

Just imagine your plan has backfired and you (in this case Lloydy), are called up to the lectern to read out an agreed poem that you've already boasted you know from memory (to impress Jane Asher), but in fact can't recall at all. Well, Lloydy's rendition was a hoot from start to finish. Thinking on his feet he commences slowly in staccato voice to give himself time to think, in the hope of covering up that he can't remember the poem. After first blaming his glasses off he goes -

Stop-all-the-clocks
stop-ALL-the-clocks
. . . completely . . . no exceptions
and . . . the phone, YES!
. . . or put it on vibrate
- and shut those bloody dogs up!

[I was laughing like a drain by now]

He was my North, my south, my east, my west,
simply the best!
- better than all the rest.
He was the greatest man who ever lived
- and now he's dead.
Thank you.

Absolute pearler! As I type that poem, I'm laughing as I recall Lloydy's delivery of it. A really, really laugh-out-loud funny delivery.

When The O/Guys works I think it's down to funny performances/deliveries rather than funny lines
per se, (of which, there are not many).

Hmmm. . . might catch next week's.

Danny. You can write The Old Guys, y'know! ;)

Another fine episode again last night. I really like this. It is the final episode next-week, the prostitute themed one. It could have infamous written all over it. Hopefully though, it will be good, the show will come out on DVD and a second series will be commissioned. This show has really grown on me, something a BBC sitcom (with the exception of Outnumbered), has failed to do for a good few years.

Yeah, it's really grown on me too. I was pretty ambivalent about it the first week although felt it had some potential, but I'm really enjoying it now.

Are you 'Happy' with it and will you 'punch anyone who says you're not'?