The Old Guys - Series 1 Page 10

Quote: ContainsNuts @ February 3 2009, 6:08 PM GMT

I hope you're talking about Johnny. Errr ;)

Yes, I meant Johnny.

Def.

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 1 2009, 12:31 PM GMT

The theme tune agreed was probably the worst TV Theme tune ever and I probably wouldn't watch it again if it wasn't for the excellent casting, but good for a first episode. Maybe too many wee jokes and yes the canned laughter was annoying, but some extremely funny moments and will definetly be tuning in next week. First episode: 7/10

Although it's not a comedy, the absolute worst theme song goes to Star Trek: Enterprise. I always have the DVD remote handy when watching episodes so I can hit the jump to the next scene button before even the first note starts because every time I hear it a little bit of my soul dies and Gene Roddenberry's ashes in outer space get agitated and disrupt communications satellites.

HI all.
This episode was written by Simon Blackwell - a former students of mine.....
Sorry to use this to push a courtse but...uh. I am.

90% of the scripts that I receive fail on simple form, format and content issues. Many of these are fixable. Script editors can tell within ten pages if a script is going to work or not.

I am running the first HowNOTtowrite a sitcom workshop for £60 (discount for pair or block bookings) on Saturday March 7th 2009 10am- 4.30pm. Bond st W1 location.

It will be intensive. Concept, character relationships, scene and line by line breakdowns of scripts. Please bring an idea, a pitch (you will pitch) and up to ten pages of your sitcom. I want to to go away wih real clarity and purpose. Do please check the testimonials page.

Sitcom is highly competative, but the rewards are huge. Two writers from this site sold to BBC and C4 and between them have made £12,000.

To book or for any further questions please contact me at marcgblake@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks Marc

Interesting Marc, but I think that if you want to teach your students better, then you should write, "a former student of mine", rather than, "a former students of mine".

I wish the girl from The IT Crowd wasn't it - she's in everything! Can't they find someone else or are the pages to Spotlight stuck together?

In the 1970s and 1980s, the BBC ruled the world of British sitcoms (with Rising Damp being the only great ITV sitcom) but then in the late 1990s, after such great BBC comedies as The Day Today, Knowing Me, Knowing You... With Alan Partridge, Men Behaving Badly, One Foot In The Grave, Ab Fab, and The Royle Family were coming to an end, Channel 4 became ahead of the sitcom game with the following shows:
- Father Ted
- Brass Eye
- Spaced
- Black Books
- Nathan Barley
- Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
- Green Wing
- Peep Show
- The IT Crowd

...And the only recent BBC shows that come close to the brilliance of some of those are I'm Alan Partridge, The Office, The Thick Of It and Outnumbered.

Episode two of The Old Guys and it's: Nope this sitcom just does not appeal to me. I want it to, but it doesn't.

Is it a gentle comedy in Last of The Summer Wine mould, or trying to be a bit grumpy-old-men ala One Foot in The Grave? (Although they're not grumpy).

I can't get with the tempo. The early scenes were just wasted. Screen time just thrown to the wind. I thought the early meal scene was a total waste, but half way through the episode realised this was so that when Lloydy later offered to cook for everyone we would remember he likes to cook, as witnessed in the early cooking 'signposting' scene. Nothing wrong with that - just make it funny or humorous!

I think if this episode had been posted on the critique forum here, the most common advice would be to introduce a joke/witticism every three or four lines/exchanges, as at present there's none at all - it is a sitcom after all.

Think I heard two good exchanges only, Lloydy to Jane Asher:
"Come up to my room urgently, not for anything physical."

And lifted straight from Dad's Army with the, 'What's your name? - Don't tell him Pike', routine was :

- A jealous Lloydy: "Don't think you can go straight over the road there to see Sally. Get out!"
Potential suitor: "Oh so Sally lives right over the road there, then? Thank you."

Just three lines out of a full half hour sitcom. Sheesh!

Quote: johnny smith @ February 7 2009, 9:22 PM GMT

In the 1970s and 1980s, the BBC ruled the world of British sitcoms (with Rising Damp being the only great ITV sitcom) but then in the late 1990s, after such great BBC comedies as The Day Today, Knowing Me, Knowing You... With Alan Partridge, Men Behaving Badly, One Foot In The Grave, Ab Fab, and The Royle Family were coming to an end, Channel 4 became ahead of the sitcom game with the following shows:
- Father Ted
- Brass Eye
- Spaced
- Black Books
- Nathan Barley
- Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
- Green Wing
- Peep Show
- The IT Crowd

...And the only recent BBC shows that come close to the brilliance of some of those are I'm Alan Partridge, The Office, The Thick Of It and Outnumbered.

Yes but all of the BBC ones were better than any of the Channel 4 ones - in my opinion anyway, and I think The Mighty Boosh and Pulling should also be added to the list of recent BBC triumphs.

Not sure either Father Ted or I'm Alan Partridge can be called exactly recent, and if you are going back that far I am sure the very selective list of successful BBBC shows could be extended considerably, whereas you have listed just about every single Channel 4 show that did not entirely die on its arse.

Latest episode was sort of Ok, but I think it's only the fact that Bain and Armstrong are attached that's now going to keep me watching. I'll probably go one more episode, see how it goes, but I think the writing's on the wall for this one already.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ February 8 2009, 12:03 AM GMT

Yes but all of the BBC ones were better than any of the Channel 4 ones - in my oppinion.

There's great stuff on both lists.

Can we try and keep this discussion about The Old Guys:

I saw last night's episode after one too many drinks, so I'm not really in a position to judge it fairly. That said, it did seem quite weak.

What is odd is I thought that this was supposed to be a comedy for the family to watch... hence the show can be forgiven for not being too risky with the comedy. However, episode 4 - due in a couple of week's time - is about the lads sharing a prostitute! I suspect that's not going to tick the family-viewing box.

I thought the first episode showed a lot of promise and I laughed a few times. This second episode, however, was just unwatchable. I won't be bothering with it again.

I didn't think the second episode was that great to be honest, after being pleasantly surprised the first week, which I thought was really good. It's a shame this one was weaker, but I'll keep watching I reckon.

Dan

I really enjoyed the second episode, not as good as the first but still really good. The scripts aren't that great, but Lloyd-Pack and Swift are. I'm going to carry on watching it.

Oops, I missed the second episode and didn't even realise until I just logged in here. It's obviously made an impression. Just not a good one. Huh?