The Old Guys - Series 1 Page 16

What's wrong with the Baker Gurvitz Army?

The Ivor Cutler song used as the theme tune is a truly wonderful touch and fits in beautifully with the concept and age of the main characters.

Agreed, it does sound like the sort of shit old people listen to.

I don't own any Ivor Cutler records but I keep meaning to buy something - such as Scenes from a Scottish sitting room. Check it out. Especially if you like Rab C Nesbit - although I don't.

Quote: zooo @ March 3 2009, 11:02 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

But still best not to shit about with old folk....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr8KrF8vNPM

Quote: zooo @ March 3 2009, 11:02 PM GMT

*sniggers*

Hi,

I thought the last episode was great (Was that the last one in the series?) especially Tom and Roy. Great actors they've got for the show. I think it may work better with just them two for the next series though as they are just so funny especially Tom. I don't think that the episode about the Jesus and the Bible will have a backlash on the community as a whole so I think that the next series will go without a hatch.

Lots of this script was from the original Last Laugh pilot script - glad it finally saw the light of day. Pretty good episode actually.

Yep, nice closer to the series. Light on the laughs I thought, but still very entertaining. Overall, the series has been really enjoyable and grown on me since episode 1, week-by-week. Feels like they should have commissioned another 2 episodes at least - it's all gone so quickly!

I thought last night's was the best of the series. Maybe because keeping to the pilot plot/subplot left no space for the incongruous Jane Asher character.

I bet they went through the script with a fine toothcomb to ensure they hadn't inadvertently used a phrase from The Last Laugh's winner's script.

And I love Ivor Cutler and the title song.

I've only seen about half the series, but that was far and away the best I've seen of it. Very funny stuff I thought.

Quote: JohnnyD @ March 8 2009, 8:46 AM GMT

Maybe because keeping to the pilot plot/subplot left no space for the incongruous Jane Asher character.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. Was a very welcome relief.

I think definitely there should be a second series. I'd definitely watch it. I reckon it could really come into its own then. In earlier episodes in particular it still seemed very similar to Peep Show - but maybe if I hadn't watched the Peep Show or known of its association with it then this wouldn't have occurred to me or affected my enjoyment.

Edited by Aaron.

I thought this series was brilliant. I think Roger Lloyd Pack and Clive Swift were very good throughout the whole series. I am hoping there will be a second series. Out of 10 I'd give this a 9. :)

As this doesn't seem to be on iPlayer it looks like I'm going to miss the last episode.