The Old Guys - Series 1 Page 12

The premise of The Old Guys has legs, and if proof of that was needed, last night's returning detective series New Tricks (BBC One) showed how.

It's primarily about three over-the-hill, retired, wait for it - old guys! And although not an out and out comedy it does have a touch of light entertainment about it that is quite enjoyable. If only the lighter moments in New Tricks had been in The Old Guys sitcom my downbeat opinion of The Old Guys would have been somewhat different.

Quote: Mark @ February 8 2009, 12:06 PM GMT

What is odd is I thought that this was supposed to be a comedy for the family to watch... hence the show can be forgiven for not being too risky with the comedy. However, episode 4 - due in a couple of week's time - is about the lads sharing a prostitute! I suspect that's not going to tick the family-viewing box.

That's the competition one. (Although someone's probably already mentioned that)

Quote: Marc P @ February 10 2009, 11:54 AM GMT

Wasn't that the episode in the Last Laugh thingummy?

Oh yes!

I absolutely loved The Savages, that should never have been canned.

I thought New Tricks was on a repeat run at the moment? I'll cry if I've missed an episode!!

Oh, and I appreciate the point you are making about New Tricks proving that a sitcom about old people has legs but it has to be said that the quality of the writing and story telling, the dialogue and most importantly, the acting, in New Tricks is a million miles from The Old Guys. New Tricks is Manchester United, The Old Guys is the Crown and Anchor Second XI.

Hi,

This is a great show. I love the two old guys especially. I think that a comedy will be good if you get two great actors together like Roger and... I can't remember the other one now but really great show and I can't wait until it's on again. My rating for the show so far is 5/5.

Well done BBC and hopefully this show gets commissioned for another series.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ February 10 2009, 11:18 AM GMT

If someone told me this was from the writers of Peep Show I would have never believed it. It seems they've written the sitcom in the way they think other studio sitcoms are written instead of in their own style.

It's not. They created it. They did not write it.

Anyway. I re-watched episode one this week and really enjoyed it a lot more second-time round. Some of it leaves a bit to be desired (the dialogue, and perhaps delivery thereof, in the tomato-toastie scene), but I did actually laugh out loud quite a bit.

As for the second episode - I think I preferred it.

However. I really hate the love interest character. She has no consistency at all. One moment she's this semi-posh, slightly snobby middle-class (newly?) single middle-aged woman. The next, she's almost totally clueless, giving vacant stares and accepting the most ridiculous comments and queries from the others without question. No doubt someone like Frankie Rage will come now and say that the middle classes are stupid and clueless (etc), but it's almost opposing extremes in the same character.

They wrote the second episode.

Ah yes - missed the "and Written by". My mistake! :)

Anyway.

Peep Show + 30 = The Old Guys.

Probably the weakest of the three episodes tonight, but still very good, I think we've got a potential top sitcom here.

Quote: Aaron @ February 14 2009, 9:42 PM GMT

Peep Show + 30 = The Old Guys.

Yes in some respects; no in terms of quality. Tonight's episode was Ok, some amusing moments.

I didn't watch all of tonights episode. I saw a few seconds of it when it was on TV in the background whilst I was on the computer and what I saw was Amber learning to ride a bike and I thought to my self ''Oh my God, this is such lame crap!''

I disagree.

Not bad tonight. I missed the second one - I had a bit of a life last week.

Did I miss the prostitute one or has it been rescheduled?

I like the oriental girl. What was she in now before?

I remember mentioning her before and someone said they hadn't noticed she was oriental.

Getting better methinks but there are some uncomfortabe moments. Is a grower and just needs time to find its rhythm and the characters their place.

I'm not comparing but remember how Baldrick changed and indeed Blackadder from the first series.

Quote: johnny smith @ February 14 2009, 10:02 PM GMT

I didn't watch all of tonights episode. I saw a few seconds of it when it was on TV in the background whilst I was on the computer and what I saw was Amber learning to ride a bike and I thought to my self ''Oh my God, this is such lame crap!''

I did not see any of tonight's episode but I could still find something more lucid and intelligent to say than that.