Clone - Series 1 Page 4

I watched Clone, last night, and I quite enjoyed it, much to my surprise, considering it's new, and I hope it continues to be a success.
Hopefully, it will switch over to BBC One in the very near future, so it can then get a bigger audience.
The only thing I didn't like much, was the canned laughter.
This reminds of the 1970s, when canned laughter got a bit too much, although the comedy then, was much better.

On the subject of the show, on Front Row they talked about this as being team written, along the American-model lines. Why can we never get this system right?

Quote: Robin @ November 18 2008, 11:51 AM GMT

I watched Clone, last night, and I quite enjoyed it, much to my surprise, considering it's new, and I hope it continues to be a success.

Hi Robin, welcome to the website. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I must admit I can't see what you were laughing at... personally speaking, Clone is heading towards the top of my 'worst sitcom of the year' list (beating Lab Rats and Coming Of Age). I'll give it another couple of episodes, but the opener was just dire. There were admittedly two good jokes (pubic hair & smoking ban) but apart from that, in my opinion, the show was completely devoid of any jokes.

Quote: chipolata @ November 18 2008, 11:52 AM GMT

On the subject of the show, on Front Row they talked about this as being team written, along the American-model lines. Why can we never get this system right?

If you've ever watched Paramount Comedy, you'd see how often the Americans don't get this right either.

Quote: Afinkawan @ November 18 2008, 12:00 PM GMT

If you've ever watched Paramount Comedy, you'd see how often the Americans don't get this right either.

But they have got it right at least once. We haven't.

Quote: Robin @ November 18 2008, 11:51 AM GMT

The only thing I didn't like much, was the canned laughter.
This reminds of the 1970s, when canned laughter got a bit too much, although the comedy then, was much better.

Sorry Robin, but I really have to point out that this was NOT CANNED LAUGHTER. It was filmed in front of a real studio audience.

Aside from that, welcome to the site.

Don't they record the laughter and then reedit/reportion it through out the show?

In some cases it is moved around or tweaked a little. Mostly just to level out laughter so there's not a bit of a chuckle to one line and then screaming howls a minute later. But it's still audience laughter; not just brought off a tape in a SFX library somewhere.

(As I understand it anyway.)

Do people actually buy laughter?

My career as a standup may be reborn and for just a fiver.

"Buy" as in £ or "buy" as in believe?

Well you suggested some shows bought laughter on CD, so buy is what I meant.

Quote: sootyj @ November 18 2008, 1:01 PM GMT

Do people actually buy laughter?

Claques.

Quote: sootyj @ November 18 2008, 1:04 PM GMT

Well you suggested some shows bought laughter on CD, so buy is what I meant.

Then yes, it's been done. I can't think of any shows offhand which are guilty of it, mind.

Well they stuck a laugh track on some Partridge shows when they were reshown on cable.

I'm pretty sure that that's a myth which has been discussed here previously.