Status report Page 5,146

And you'll need a pick up for the scrap and a lorry for the tarmac (that was left over from a job I just did round the corner).

Quote: Pingl @ June 23 2013, 9:07 PM BST

Seriously thinking about buying a camper van and becoming a traveler. Always fancied myself as a bit of a gypsy. Now where can I buy a second hand accordion?

Can you read tea leaves?

If you can't get an accordion, consider a pair of bagpipes. A couple of young guys, dressed in all the clobber, were busking in town today, and made quite a magnificent, haunting sound. I even considered getting hold of a few cds of the stuff at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3b573x7iPw

Quote: Oldrocker @ June 23 2013, 9:45 PM BST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3b573x7iPw

They'll perform in Basel in November.

Rob is trying to come up with a medium term financial plan. It is doing his head in. He will dream of interest rate permutations tonight. :(

Quote: Rob H @ June 23 2013, 9:57 PM BST

Rob is trying to come up with a medium term financial plan. It is doing his head in. He will dream of interest rate permutations tonight. :(

Better than dreaming of moves in Facebook Farm Heroes as I'll be doing tonight. If I ever meet a f**king Racoon I'll strangle it whether or not its name is Rancid.

Quote: keewik @ June 23 2013, 10:08 PM BST

Better than dreaming of moves in Facebook Farm Heroes as I'll be doing tonight. If I ever meet a f**king Racoon I'll strangle it whether or not its name is Rancid.

A few years ago my eldest son started playing Smurfs on my wife's iPhone. As I only have him three days a week, much of the farming was done by me. I was bloody obsessed. Harvesting imaginary imaginary plants became my constant dream theme.

I've been playing wordfeud fairly obsessively for two years now. It frequently intrudes in my dreams.

I should probably give up playing games on phones.

I deliberately avoided Facebook games till 2 weeks ago because I knew I'd be drawn in, and I have been. Many hours of my life are being wasted. I need a psychiatrist.

I spent about a year playing Grand theft auto San Andreas

Most nights my dreams were filled with me shooting pedestrians, dragging motorists from their cars and beating them up and fleeing from countless pursuing cop cars

Quote: lofthouse @ June 23 2013, 10:42 PM BST

I spent about a year playing Grand theft auto San Andreas

Most nights my dreams were filled with me shooting pedestrians, dragging motorists from their cars and beating them up and fleeing from countless pursuing cop cars

Just an ordinary day in the life of most Glaswegians. Laughing out loud

I didn't exactly dream of computer games when I was a boy, but during my "Game Boy Phase" I had some difficulties in falling asleep. I often mentally acted out Tetris situations in bed and that kept me anxious. This game could make you an addict.

Quote: lofthouse @ June 23 2013, 10:42 PM BST

I spent about a year playing Grand theft auto San Andreas even though I didn't have a playstation.

I just sat the top hat on the car in the monopoly set and pushed it around the board. Before calling my Barbie doll a whore and hitting it with a cricket bat,
then I lost the hat and I took my skillz to the street on my Raleigh Chopper

Most nights my dreams were filled with me shooting pedestrians, dragging motorists from their cars and beating them up and fleeing from countless pursuing cop cars.

See the kind of carnage losing a Mononpoly piece can cause

Did the judge buy that story?

Quote: sootyj @ June 24 2013, 1:23 PM BST

Did the judge buy that story?

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ June 24 2013, 1:52 PM BST

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if I had my time over again, I would forget all about investments/pensions etc. I would collect ephemera: flyers/promo cards/leaflets from corporations/chain stores/pubs and clubs etc., flyers/promo cards/posters from bookies/racetracks/music gigs/Edinburgh festival/Glastonbury etc., even some leaflets that come through the door. All these things can be found free gratis and if you're good at spotting zeitgeist imagery (fashion, logos, Olympics etc.) you'll make amazing profits, sometimes in just a few years: a postcard flyer that you pick up from a local live music/comedy venue can fetch amounts that may surprise you in just a few years. If you're really diligent at it, you can secure numerous items over a decade or so, even over just a couple of years. You can store thousands of items in one cardboard box, so storage isn't a problem. Some of that paper that we take for granted and that we throw away is highly collectable.

I have loads of old music magazines, and stuff like "The Face" and "Blitz" that I've kept, but they do take up quite a bit of space when you've got a big collection.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ June 24 2013, 2:15 PM BST

Magazines are a) too big; b) they cost money; c) lots of people keep them, so moneywise, they're not a good investment. I'm talking about single/double-sided pieces of paper/card that people usually throw away. An example: a small 1993 Ladbrokes poster advertising the 1993 Ladbroke Hurdle (thrown away at the end of the pertinent week by the bookies) fetched £58 in 1998. In 2002, one appeared on the market and went for £85. This is the tip of the iceberg: all that Virgin/Benetton/Swatch/Woolworths etc. memorabilia/ paper ephemera? Blockbusters film/DVD posters? Edinburgh festival flyers? The list is huge. Money for no monetary cost - only time and effort, plus a good eye.

Interesting!

So who buys the collectables, and where?

Are you collecting now yourself?

Do you watch "Four Rooms" on C4? I like seeing what rare/unusual items go for, and they often feature memorabilia, though it's usually autographed/belonged to someone famous.

Though, come to think of it, they did have some Russian ski posters on the other day that sold for a few thousand.

Quote: George Kaplan @ June 24 2013, 3:06 PM BST

Russian ski posters

What's that?