What are you watching on TV? Page 1,992

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st January 2015, 12:02 PM GMT

Laughing out loud My wife, who was half watching as she read a book, thought they were.

Didn't John Deacon leave a while back? Considering that Brian May and Roger Taylor are the only two other original members, Mrs HGT has a point.

There's a parallel with Slade. Still touring under that name but only Dave Hill and Don Powell original.

Who the hell would think they were the proper Slade without Noddy on vocals?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 1st January 2015, 4:55 PM GMT

Didn't John Deacon leave a while back? Considering that Brian May and Roger Taylor are the only two other original members, Mrs HGT has a point.

I did smile patronisingly........ :P

(I think JD retired in 1997)

Quote: Oldrocker @ 1st January 2015, 6:31 PM GMT

There's a parallel with Slade. Still touring under that name but only Dave Hill and Don Powell original.

Who the hell would think they were the proper Slade without Noddy on vocals?

Had to smile when I saw Dave Hill on Pointless awhile back - he's so short!! Laughing out loud

Slade was Noddy - Noddy was Slade.

QED re Queen.

The Clash New Years Day 77 on BBC 4

A doc on John Wayne

Wow...

Eye opener

The guy was full of shit!!

and a coward, he avoided the draft in WW2 by saying he couldn't find a typewriter to fill in his forms.

Quote: lofthouse @ 2nd January 2015, 2:00 PM GMT

A doc on John Wayne

Wow...

Eye opener

The guy was full of shit!!

What channel Lofty

Quote: sootyj @ 2nd January 2015, 2:06 PM GMT

and a coward, he avoided the draft in WW2 by saying he couldn't find a typewriter to fill in his forms.

" I believe in white supremacy until blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.... The academic community has developed certain tests that determine whether the blacks are sufficiently equipped scholastically.... I don't feel guilty about the fact that five or ten generations ago these people were slaves. Now I'm not condoning slavery. It's just a fact of life, like the kid who gets infantile paralysis and can't play football like the rest of us.

And when asked about how blacks can address the inequities of the past:

By going to school. I don't know why people insist that blacks have been forbidden to go to school. They were allowed in public schools wherever I've been. I think any black man who can compete with a white can get a better break than a white man. I wish they'd tell me where in the world they have it better than right here in America "

You were a total dickwad...pilgrim

Wow.
Feel quite smug that I never liked him.

Well he's dead now

So that's some comfort

Well, at least he killed Liberty Valance!

Thin blue line

"Goody goody, lah-di-dah-di, namby hoity wishy pamby toity washy, dah-di-la-di, know-it-all, public school, stiff upper lip, stiff upper house master, prim and proper, Rule Brittannia..."

Laughing out loud

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st January 2015, 10:55 PM GMT

The Clash New Years Day 77 on BBC 4

They could have titled it "Shane MacGowan New Years Day 77", the number of times he was in shot at the Roxy gig.

What did you think of it, Lofty?

Interesting to hear earlier versions of the lyrics to the songs on the first album.

Julien Temple's collage style - editing in bits of newsreel, regional TV stuff, classic movies - works quite well some of the time, but he gets a bit carried away with it.

Think I might need to watch it again if I get the time.

Watched the first half of the far more conventional doc about TOTP 1980, which was better than I thought it would be. Will watch the rest later.

I thought it was great

Lots of Clash footage I've never seen before

Pleasantly surprised!