What are you watching on TV? Page 1,993

Quote: lofthouse @ 3rd January 2015, 2:52 PM GMT

I thought it was great

Lots of Clash footage I've never seen before

Pleasantly surprised!

Yeah, Temple got good access, and they were very open and co-operative.

Strangely, I lived in London and saw the Clash quite a few times, and most of the other bands, but I never went to the Roxy. Wonder if Lazzard, Radish, or Chappers ever went?

I'm guessing you're too young to have ever seen the Clash live?

I was about 4 at the time sadly!

Quote: lofthouse @ 3rd January 2015, 4:38 PM GMT

I was about 4 at the time sadly!

Laughing out loud

The hair looks right, but the gear is a bit biker-ish. :)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 3rd January 2015, 4:16 PM GMT

Yeah, Temple got good access, and they were very open and co-operative.

Strangely, I lived in London and saw the Clash quite a few times, and most of the other bands, but I never went to the Roxy. Wonder if Lazzard, Radish, or Chappers ever went?

I'm guessing you're too young to have ever seen the Clash live?

I never saw the Clash live. It is one of my greatest regrets in music. But I did see Joe Strummer with the Pogues at the three gigs I attended at the Town and Country Club on 14, 15 and 17 March 1988 when they did "London Calling" and "I Fought The Law". I saw Strummer again at the T and C on 12 October 1989, which was post "Walker" and at the time of "Earthquake Weather", and Mick Jones with Big Audio Dynamite there 19 days later. Finally, I saw Strummer with the Mescaleros at Glastonbury, probably in June 1999.

They had busked in a car park in York and other places in the 1980s. That was the time when I was really getting into the Clash. It was 1982, I was in York as a student and it was the year of "Combat Rock". While punk had arrived in 1977 when I was 14, I got into the singles chart at the ridiculously early age of 7 and took it all seriously. So I initially had some of the early 1970s perceptions of an older generation towards punk. It accounts for a hippier leaning strand which meant that Madchester in 1989 made total sense to me.

In 1982, a lot was still being heard through that early singles framework but as a student I acquired mates with wide-ranging record collections. I was already a bit new wavy and I had taken to two-tone. Neither of those genres would have happened without punk. It was a time for broadening the horizons, listening to things I had missed, and going forward with mainstream indie. The latter became my thing. Some did try to get me into Dylan at that time but I wasn't ready for it. It was only in 1989 that I bought "Oh Mercy" and everything clicked into place just as it had done with the Clash in 1982. I became a Dylan fanatic overnight.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 3rd January 2015, 5:07 PM GMT

I never saw the Clash live. It is one of my greatest regrets in music. But I did see Joe Strummer with the Pogues at the three gigs I attended at the Town and Country Club on 14, 15 and 17 March 1988 when they did "London Calling" and "I Fought The Law". I saw Strummer again at the T and C on 12 October 1989, which was post "Walker" and at the time of "Earthquake Weather", and Mick Jones with Big Audio Dymnamite there 19 days later. Finally, I saw Strummer with the Mescaleros at Glastonbury, probably in June 1999.

Would love to have seen the Pogues and BAD, two of my all time favourites. Andrew, the Pogues' drummer was at a New Years Eve party I went to, around 1988. And I saw Mick Jones with his daughter on the top of a bus a few years later. Would also see Strummer now and then in the Notting Hill area, buying his "Guardian", or whatever.
:)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 3rd January 2015, 5:21 PM GMT

Would love to have seen the Pogues and BAD, two of my all time favourites. Andrew, the Pogues' drummer was at a New Years Eve party I went to, around 1988. And I saw Mick Jones with his daughter on the top of a bus a few years later. Would also see Strummer now and then in the Notting Hill area, buying his "Guardian", or whatever.
:)

Nice memories. :)

Summat completely different if you have a mind to watch it.

I watched this last week and found it absorbing:-

It was one of the excellent Timeshift series - very good and gives a superb background to the growth of the sport and on TV and how the darts world was split, which is why you now have two world championships.

Timeshift Series 14: 3. Bullseyes and Beer: When Darts Hit Britain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0287mq6/timeshift-series-14-3-bullseyes-and-beer-when-darts-hit-britain

I'm watching Top of the Pops 1977 on Yesterday! Year Zero for Punk and a certain English eccentric is contributing.

Dan Hegarty looks really mental now!

I don't remember that Neil Innes song about the Jubilee.

Just watched The Hotel on Channel 4, does anyone else watch it?

I've been watching it since the 2nd series in 2012.

A documentary about Graham Hill on BBC 2. Jeremy Irons, an actor I like a lot, is presenting it.

Red dwarf x is on

Which is handy, as Dave have only ever shown it about 27 times

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 4th January 2015, 9:21 PM GMT

A documentary about Graham Hill on BBC 2. Jeremy Irons, an actor I like a lot, is presenting it.

How different the cars were - death traps! :O

Been watching the new Foyle's War.

Brilliant, intriguing TV and so realistic.

About to watch Sky Press Preview.