Goodnight Sweetheart Page 9

Yes, I agree it wasn't amazingly funny but still had charming and loveable qualities that elevated above most other sitcom, a bit like The Good Life. In a few years it will be the sixties in Gary's life and it would be good if he somehow found himself stepping back into the modern day.
I'd love to see what happened when The Beatles came out and what would happen about his claims that he wrote all their hits. Also, if he did come back into the modern day era it would be all new to him and would freak him out a bit.

The problem with this for me is that Nicholas Lyndhurst isn't a natural lead. Always best in a secondary role or as part of a decent 'team'.

I don't think he could ever play a sitcom monster but he's good as an everyman lead.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 23 2009, 2:38 PM BST

Yes, I agree it wasn't amazingly funny but still had charming and loveable qualities that elevated above most other sitcom, a bit like vGood Life. In a few years it will be the sixties in Gary's life and it would be good if he somehow found himself stepping back into the modern day.
I'd love to see what happened when The Beatles came out and what would happen about his claims that he wrote all their hits. Also, if he did come back into the modern day era it would be all new to him and would freak him out a bit.

Did Gary not appear in modern times as an old man at the end of the last episode?

I've forgotten, as it's a long time since I watched it.

I seem to remember that Marks & Gran told me that the time hopping was mainly just to set the scenario of Gary with two loves. Hence the somewhat low key SF, just walking between times.

I remember Laurence saying that when he was with the post production editor doing the first episode, they decided to put just a touch of sepia into the colouring of the 1940s episodes, to give a subtle extra hint of it being in the past. It's tiny details like that that possibly make Marks & Gran sitcoms successful.

I think the first series which was written completely by Marks and Gran did have a lot of laughs in it, the first episode was easily the funniest.
I am sure on the commentary of their DVD they said they were consdering bringing it back.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 23 2009, 2:38 PM BST

In a few years it will be the sixties in Gary's life and it would be good if he somehow found himself stepping back into the modern day.
I'd love to see what happened when the Beatles came out and what would happen about his claims that he wrote all their hits. Also, if he did come back into the modern day era it would be all new to him and would freak him out a bit.

He could also go out on the beat with a young Gene Hunt.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 23 2009, 3:37 PM BST

I think the first series which was written completely by Marks and Gran did have a lot of laughs in it, the first episode was easily the funniest.
I am sure on the commentary of their DVD they said they were consdering bringing it back.

I heard that too. something about that it might not be the last we see of Gary Sparrow.

I'd like it to come back as the original show, but not for series after series, maybe a 3 parter

Yeah, a re-visit to Gary's situation n-years on would be interesting to see.

We do have someone on here who actually knows the writers personally - perhaps they could ask them to get their pens out again. :)

I would be glad if something happened like that, as long as it was of the same quality as the original and with the same feel to it.

It could easily work, there's so many options with a premise like that.

Quote: Tuumble @ September 23 2009, 6:01 PM BST

We do have someone on here who actually knows the writers personally - perhaps they could ask them to get their pens out again. :)

I never try to influence what they write. :D

I do sometimes enquire what they are doing or next.

The last thing I knew about was the musical: Dreamboats and Petticoats.

Didn't they write something a couple of years ago for BBC Three? I think it is a bit of a shame that they don't seem to write for TV anymore.

With Jason Donovan?

It was a harmless sitcom, this one. Nice and cosy, good for having on whilst sprawled on the sofa on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Think it ran out of ideas quite quickly, but was a solid piece of work.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 24 2009, 3:51 PM BST

It was a harmless sitcom, this one. Nice and cosy, good for having on whilst sprawled on the sofa on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Think it ran out of ideas quite quickly, but was a solid piece of work.

Cleverly written and a nice idea. But maybe dragged on a bit too long.