Goodnight Sweetheart Page 14

They changed Phoebe's husband too.

Quote: Dave @ 11th August 2015, 4:29 PM BST

The problem with the show - and I generally like it, I have the set - is that it isn't funny enough.

Admittedly it's not 'bust a gut' funny, more chuckle-worthy, but that isn't bad when most current sitcoms don't even raise a smile, well not on my phiz anyway.

As this has been on every day on Drama for a few months I've watched most episodes. I've missed a few and then I think it was Thursday I watched it and realised they'd gone back to the start again.

I've seen a couple recently, both ones I don't remember ever seeing before. Like one with Jack the Ripper. :O

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 11th August 2015, 7:19 PM BST

They changed Phoebe's husband too.

'Finchey' from The Office!

I absolutely love this show I must be sad because once ive watched it all I start watching it over again. Obviously the first 3 series with Dervla Kirwan/Michelle Holmes for me were the best and I thought some of the storyline's from series 4-6 were over the top but I still love the show.

What I don't understand is why didn't Gary and Ron not buy loads of property with the white fivers Ron could print, me personally id have done that rather than scrape a living as Gary was doing but I suppose that's how Gary got to keep going back because Yvonne thought he was at all these trade fairs.

Id love the show to come back not just a one off but a full series but I doubt it will ever happen.

Remember when Gary and Ron lost their money when that dad's army type bank invested their money in a company that went bust in 1957, and their £250 in shares were worthless. When Gary got stuck in the past I wonder if he sorted the shares out so they were invested in the company that was worth a fortune in the present.

Shares which make a fortune in the present wouldn't necessarily worked, since the whole point of shares is knowing when to sell them. But he would have been a millionaire several times over anyway. Look at his songwriting "skills" for one thing.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 30th November 2015, 4:30 AM GMT

Shares which make a fortune in the present wouldn't necessarily worked, since the whole point of shares is knowing when to sell them. But he would have been a millionaire several times over anyway. Look at his songwriting "skills" for one thing.

I reckon he should've sued for plagiarism.

No, not uproariously funny in any way shape or form. I would put it more as a gentle comedy drama in the mould of Sorry! or Ever Decreasing Circles or The Good Life. I particularly liked the magic door, time travel aspect of the series, which I think was quite well done. I also like the idea of a 80s/90s chap having an affair with a 1940s woman. There is something quite stylish and attractive about this era, to our eyes at least. Imagine going out with Celia Johnson!!

Quote: Jamesey1967 @ 3rd December 2015, 7:44 PM GMT

No, not uproariously funny in any way shape or form. I would put it more as a gentle comedy drama in the mould of Sorry! or Ever Decreasing Circles or The Good Life. I particularly liked the magic door, time travel aspect of the series, which I think was quite well done. I also like the idea of a 80s/90s chap having an affair with a 1940s woman. There is something quite stylish and attractive about this era, to our eyes at least. Imagine going out with Celia Johnson!

Exactly, I wish they would make more of it considering all the rubbish they put on TV now this would be a godsend. It would be 1961 now I think if they were to bring it upto date, it would be great to see Ron/Reg/Gary/Phoebe again.

The appeal to me was the going back in time to the war years; apart from Ron the parts of the show in the 1990s didn't interest me. Regarding who to play Phoebe didn't Dervla Kirwan say she would do the show if it came back but Elizabeth Carling would have to have first refusal considering she was in the show when it ended.

This type of concept of going back in time would work today as surely people would love to be able to do it.

Quote: Alexei Q @ 11th August 2015, 10:57 AM BST

The first three series are good fun and often pretty funny but for me the main draw was the lovely Dervla Kirwan, whom I first became smitten with in Ballykissangel. I didn't care for the change over in series 4 and particularly the replacement of not only Dervla but also Michelle Holmes as Yvonne. The loss of those two was badly felt for me and should've been a signal to the Beeb to have called it a day.

I'm obviously in the minority but I preferred both of his replacement wives.

Just watched it this evening and then watched The Last Detective and Emma Amos plays Dangerous's wife.

The main draw really is the time-travel element; it's a really interesting idea for a traditional sitcom. My problem with it is Lyndhurst is appalling. When I'm watching him it feels like Lyndhurst's life is like 'Being John Malkovich' or some other Charlie Kaufman project whereby Lyndhurst is actually the sitcom in which he does actually live multiple lives as Gary Sparrow, 90s Sparrow, Adam Parkinson, Ashley Phillips and Rodney Trotter.

Nicholas is the real comedy character. Pity he's so unconvincing as anything other than a 'plonker'

Nicholas Lyndhurst is ok in this I do think his character in Goodnight Sweetheart is close to his Rodney Trotter character but I wouldn't say he was appalling. You have to think Nicholas Lyndhurst was very popular in the early nineties, so it was good casting by the Goodnight Sweetheart people.

I have chosen not to watch OFAH for a while and having watched this nearly every night I have got used to Nicholas and got used to him being this character.

Quote: WarmWasp @ 9th December 2015, 12:28 AM GMT

The main draw really is the time-travel element; it's a really interesting idea for a traditional sitcom. My problem with it is Lyndhurst is appalling. When I'm watching him it feels like Lyndhurst's life is like 'Being John Malkovich' or some other Charlie Kaufman project whereby Lyndhurst is actually the sitcom in which he does actually live multiple lives as Gary Sparrow, 90s Sparrow, Adam Parkinson, Ashley Phillips and Rodney Trotter.

Nicholas is the real comedy character. Pity he's so unconvincing as anything other than a 'plonker'

The idea that Rodney is a 'plonker' is always one which the media plays up. Rodney is the most intelligent person in Only Fools. The reason Del calling his brother such names in the first place is because it obviously wasn't true - Del isn't particularly clever, after all, hence the French phrases thing - and, being the older brother and a bossy sort, he was able to exert his somewhat dubious authority.

I find Lyndhurst is different in GS because of the accent, but his mannerisms are the same across everything he's in. He and David Jason are very naturalistic actors. I can see Lyndhurst on New Tricks or the Piglet Files etc, and I get deja vue. But, in fairness, that could also be due to seeing so much footage of his performances. When we put it all together, we've probably got four days' worth of footage of him acting, so it's only natural we've seen everything in his box of tricks.