Goodnight Sweetheart Page 10

I'd like to see it return for a one-off. Not a series though.

Just re-watched the whole lot of it. Again.

I think it stands up really well even after it ended over 10 years ago. I used to think that series 4 was awful as the new actresses settled in, but watching it now it's not too bad.

Series 5 and 6 are also quite often said to be not as good, I'd disagree. They have a different feel to them. but they are well written and acted.

I still don't like the ending too much.

In the DVD interview Dervla admitted that she regrets leaving the show and it was people who shouldn't have had an influence on her career that (as she put it) forced her to leave, as well as her feeling that Phoebe wasn't moving on. Plus she was doing Ballykissangel.

I am a bit puzzled as to why neither Michelle Holmes or Nicholas Lyndhurst didn't do interviews for the DVDs or Victor McGuire come to think of it.

Would be nice to see a one off.

Quote: David Carmon @ December 13 2009, 7:11 AM GMT

Series 5 and 6 are also quite often said to be not as good, I'd disagree. They have a different feel to them. but they are well written and acted.

I think it was a programme that got BETTER as it went along and each series was better than the previous series.

Quote: Jack Massey @ December 21 2009, 11:50 AM GMT

I think it was a programme that got BETTER as it went along and each series was better than the previous series.

I think series 2 was better than series 1 and series 3 better than series 2. But I don't think the last 3 series are up there with the first 3. Still good but it turned into a different show. Though series 5 was better than 4 and series 6 better than 5.

Loved this comedy. Not always hugely funny, but always had a brillaint cast, excellent characters and a fascinating plot. Victor McGuire amd Chrsitopher Etridge as Ron and Reg were wonderful actors, Nicholas Lyndhurst shows what a mature actor he is, particularly in the serious scenes of it and of course I loved the orginal actresses who played his wives. I loved Dervla Kirwan, who unfortunately went on to Ballkissangel, but she was a main appeal of the show and I thought she was beautiful.

I love Goodnight Sweetheart. I've got all 6 series on DVD and love to watch them, I think the storylines in them were always enjoyable and interesting, and the show offered - and I think many of you will agree - a sort of escapism from the modern world. It gave us a chance to think what it would be like living in a bygone age, and I think that is why it was so appealing. As for a new one-off show, I would like to see that, set in 1956 with Gary finding post-war Britain tough and somehow managing to start time traveling again back to 2010, and the reaction of Ron and Yvonne. How good would that be?

Love it. Brilliant show, and a great story.

What would people think of a one-off special?

-------------------------------------------------

http://goodnightsweetheart.forumsland.com/

Quote: David Carmon @ December 13 2009, 12:11 PM GMT

Just re-watched the whole lot of it. Again.

Blimey. Even watching two in a row would make me feel quite depressed!

Quote: comical masterpiece @ January 22 2010, 5:41 AM GMT

As for a new one-off show, I would like to see that, set in 1956 with Gary finding post-war Britain tough and somehow managing to start time traveling again back to 2010, and the reaction of Ron and Yvonne. How good would that be?

Not to mention the fact Gary would have to get used to modern times in the same way he originally had to get used to the 1940s.

Things have moved on a lot since 1999.

The internet, although it existed was nowhere near as big as it is now. We have things like Freeview (ok digital TV was around then but has come a long way).

Mobiles have changed beyond recognition.

We have MP3 and iPod, videos don't exist.

Not to mention other things such as 9/11 and Iraq etc.

Quote: David Carmon @ December 13 2009, 12:11 PM GMT

I think it stands up really well even after it ended over 10 years ago. I used to think that series 4 was awful as the new actresses settled in, but watching it now it's not too bad.

Period comedies always stand-up pretty well. I'm not sure exactly why; I would guess that it's because they tend to be set in times we're all really quite familiar with (World War II is a prime example), dealing with the specific issues of the time, whereas most sitcoms are contemporary, with nothing really to anchor them into any notable historical point. If that makes sense...

Quote: comical masterpiece @ January 22 2010, 5:41 AM GMT

As for a new one-off show, I would like to see that, set in 1956 with Gary finding post-war Britain tough and somehow managing to start time traveling again back to 2010, and the reaction of Ron and Yvonne. How good would that be?

Good: questionable.
Interesting: definitely.

It would be amazing, as long as it was written by Marks and Gran :)

And be good if Dervla Kirwan and Michelle Holmes returned :P

As co-creator of Goodnight Sweetheart I'm pleased to see people still talk about the show, have opinions, likes, dislikes, and all that jazz. Bill W pointed out the correspondence about bringing GS back. However, I don't see any great desire on the part of the BBC for more adventures in Blitzland, and we're too proud to beg. (Though it would be fun, as someone said, to see what happens in 1963 when the Beales start plagiarising Gary's greatest hits. But then again, he'll probably make sure the songs all get published in the 1950s, so when John and Paul get going they'll simply have to write some different songs, won't they?)

BUT Goodnight Sweetheart is still one of the favourites out of all the shows Laurence and I wrote, and we have great expectations of a stage production in the not too distant future.

Oo, now that would be good to see!

Maybe it'll occur to the Beeb, what with all the recent revivals (OFAH etc)? Particularly if there's to be a stage show. (I guess ITV didn't ask about The New Statesman, but that's hardly a surprise given their dedication to comedy output these days.)

And welcome to the site. :)

Oooh it would be ace as a stage show. :)