Goodnight Sweetheart Page 15

Quote: Dave @ 13th December 2015, 4:09 PM GMT

The idea that Rodney is a 'plonker' is always one which the media plays up. Rodney is the most intelligent person in Only Fools. The reason Del calling his brother such names in the first place is because it obviously wasn't true - Del isn't particularly clever, after all, hence the French phrases thing - and, being the older brother and a bossy sort, he was able to exert his somewhat dubious authority.

Not sure I completely agree. Sure, he always tried to better himself by going to evening class or reading articles and stuff like that.
But on the other hand he could be hopelessly naive. Even Grandad outsmarted and easily manipulated him on several occasions. There are also many occasions where he f**ked things up like an idiot. If Rodney were in charge of earning money the Trotters would have been starved to death many years ago.
But true, calling him a plonker or a wally is unfair.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 13th December 2015, 4:42 PM GMT

Not sure I completely agree. Sure, he always tried to better himself by going to evening class or reading articles and stuff like that.
But on the other hand he could be hopelessly naive. Even Grandad outsmarted and easily manipulated him on several occasions. There are also many occasions where he f**ked things up like an idiot. If Rodney were in charge of earning money the Trotters would have been starved to death many years ago.
But true, calling him a plonker or a wally is unfair.

I know what you mean, there were times when he ballsed things up (like buying broken lawnmower engines!) but that just goes to show one of the bitter ironies of the character: he wasn't cut out for wheeling-and-dealing. As we discovered, he's not really a Trotter, which goes to show why he's so ethical (though, now I think of it, his real dad was hardly that). Del held him back in a lot of ways, but as Rodney points out in the first episode, he may have got 2 GCEs but he failed the other nine. Whether this was because of Del interrupting his revision time, we don't know. He also failed that computer exam - though it's worth mentioning that this was 1989 and computers were very, very new.

In Goodnight Sweetheart, the writers on the commentaries regularly point out how selfish Gary is. He's a liar and an adulterer but gets away with it because of the time travel thing being so amazing and also because his wife is a bit of a sow. He's often quite horrid to Ron. I get the idea that he's only friends with Ron as he wants to talk to someone about his escapades.

When I first started to watch GNS I never thought about how selfish Gary was to Ron and the others but maybe I was just carried away in the notion of time travel not to notice. I love this, show maybe it's because I think I'm reincarnated from that era. :D

Quote: Charley @ 2nd August 2007, 4:14 AM BST

But David it aint funny.

Why not have it as a drama without the canned laughter shit.

Just read this, there was no canned laughter it was shot in front of a live studio audience. I'm sure I saw Liz Carling being interviewed and she said it wasn't canned laughter because she had to wait for the audience laughter to finish before she could deliver her line.

I love this show, it's the only show I can watch through and when I'm finished I start again. No it isn't a laugh a minute but there are loads of funny moments in the show, and I agree with one poster who said Ron's character is the best. He always gets the best lines in the show.

I just wish it would come back even if it was just a Christmas special to see if the public like it before a full series was commissioned.

That girl has got shit for brains.

They've shown the whole series through from start to finish twice on Drama. However this last time is the first time I'd seen the final episode. Quite poignant.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd December 2015, 6:08 PM GMT

That girl has got shit for brains.

They've shown the whole series through from start to finish twice on Drama. However this last time is the first time I'd seen the final episode. Quite poignant.

Very poignant but I thought at the time it was left open to come back but I doubt it will happen too much time has gone by and the BBC are scrimping now.

"I am a bit puzzled as to why neither Michelle Holmes or Nicholas Lyndhurst didn't do interviews for the DVDs or Victor McGuire come to think of it."

I've wondered that aswell. I've read that Michelle Holmes didn't get on with Nicholas Lyndhurst maybe that's why she left.

Quote: alan1967 @ 24th December 2015, 7:30 PM GMT

"I am a bit puzzled as to why neither Michelle Holmes or Nicholas Lyndhurst didn't do interviews for the DVDs or Victor McGuire come to think of it."

I've wondered that aswell. I've read that Michelle Holmes didn't get on with Nicholas Lyndhurst maybe that's why she left.

Wow! I've never heard that. Do you have any more info?

No I don't mate it's just something I read ages back on another board. It could be rubbish but I've never read anything by Michelle Holmes on why she left the show. Dervla Kirwan stated the reason why she left but I can't find anything regarding the reason why Michelle Holmes left.

I thought this was a hoax when I first saw it, but no, according to the BBC website, it's back!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36715695

And Marks and Gran are penning the script! I just hope it's good.

I'm looking forward to this but I hope they have brought Phoebe into the present day, not in 1940.

Read on the text that this was being done as part of the celebrations to mark the 60th anniversary of Hancock's first appearance on the BBC?

Don't see the connection..... :S