The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 585

Quote: Ben @ 29th June 2014, 7:57 PM BST

Sneijder's goal was a great piece of work just now. As the pundits were saying after the game. There's not really one team packed full of great players. I guess Germany may be an exception, but they haven't played amazingly so far given their opposition.

Germany never do. They just do all that's necessary to win a game.

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th June 2014, 8:06 PM BST

Can't believe Dirk Kuyt is still playing for Holland

Teh foookkkk dude

I can't believe Fer is in their squad although he did score a good goal.

And yet another late late goal !

Greece score

Full of drama this World Cup

Quote: Jennie @ 29th June 2014, 7:09 PM BST

They know how to win. The problem with the English is that we poo poo winners.

When they blatantly cheat Like Argentina, Uruguay, Holland, Germany, Portugal, Italy, who are all masters at conning the ref, yes, and I think it's right that we do. It's worrying that Rooney is saying we should copy them now. No, we should force FIFA to use video refs to stamp it out.

That cheating little bastard Robben has just robbed a decent honest team of their deserved place in the quarters. If football had bothered to keep up with technology like other sports then that bunch above wouldn't keep getting as far as they do. I'd rather be an honest loser than a dirty cheating winner.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th June 2014, 6:58 PM BST

Mexico so bloody good. So unlucky.

The best goalkeeper in the tournament, strong at the back, comfortable on the ball all over the pitch and they lose to a 2 man team.

I don't think coaches should be allowed near players during the "cooling breaks". The drinks should be brought onto the pitch by neutrals. It's an unfair advantage and is almost like have 4 quarters to a match, not 2 halves as in the Laws of the Game.

And another thing I've noticed at free kicks that players are not 10 metres from the ball sideways and behind. In the france game they encroached from the sides.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th June 2014, 11:47 PM BST

When they blatantly cheat Like Argentina, Uruguay, Holland, Germany, Portugal, Italy,

Define "blatantly cheating".

Quote: Jennie @ 30th June 2014, 6:37 PM BST

Define "blatantly cheating".

Um dive, sneakily pull shirts, wrap their arms around opponents at free kicks, encroach at free kicks, dive, etc etc etc.........

Quote: Badge @ 10th June 2008, 4:21 AM BST

I think the fix was the West Germany v Austria contrived draw in the 1982 World Cup which knocked out Algeria

Tonight is Algeria's chance for revenge.

Well Suarez has just performed a massive u-turn over his bite. That man is beyond belief. Still, he'll probably do great in La Liga.

"Arjen Robben will avoid retrospective punishment from Fifa after he admitted diving in the Netherlands' 2-1 World Cup win over Mexico.
The 30-year-old said he did not cheat to win a decisive injury-time penalty but told Dutch TV: "In the first half I took a dive."

What a surprise. Two "surprises" in fact. One that Robben dived and two that FIFA will take no action.

Quote: Chappers @ 30th June 2014, 6:53 PM BST

Um dive, sneakily pull shirts, wrap their arms around opponents at free kicks, encroach at free kicks, dive, etc etc etc.........

All the things the England players would do given half a chance. The reason Robben can dive to win a penalty twice in a match is because he actually makes runs into the box with the ball.

Like it or loathe it, it is the modern game. The England players just do not have the quality to keep up.

Quote: Jennie @ 30th June 2014, 7:41 PM BST

All the things the England players would do given half a chance. The reason Robben can dive to win a penalty twice in a match is because he actually makes runs into the box with the ball.

Like it or loathe it, it is the modern game. The England players just do not have the quality to keep up.

OK then. Like the Eurovision Song Contest let's just pull out and let the others play - but we'll take our ball with us.

You can see how this German game will pan out.

Loads of cock-ups at the back and Algeria giving them loads of scares.

Then they'll get a debatable goal and go on and win it.

Glen Hoddle thinks Germany are playing Al Jazeera.

Still 0-0 After 60 minutes...I didn't expect that. Well done, Algeria!

What did I say?

Quote: Jennie @ 30th June 2014, 7:41 PM BST

All the things the England players would do given half a chance.

Then you haven't read the directives on it from the FA who picked Hodgson for his honest football values. The new England training centre gives the youth players lessons in fair play and instructs against cheating to get goals inc. diving for penalties and handballs which are both at epidemic levels now.

England quite rightly are going the opposite way to joining in the cheating and gamesmanship. Ashley Young was slated by Fergie for blatantly diving and Sturridge was criticised by Brooking for doing it. FIFA say they want to clean game up and the refs have been particularly hard on Italy since the Zidane incident. Italy are now seen as the embodiment of all that's wrong in the game.

I'm with Chappers and Kipper on serial cheat Robben conning a victory from the referee. He should get a four month ban along with Suarez for bringing the game into disrepute.

Watching the Dutch fans celebrating this blatant cheating gave me the same sickening feeling as seeing the Argies celebrating Maradona's 'Hand of God'. Time we pulled out of the EU, we have cultural differences that can't be resolved.