The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 584

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 27th June 2014, 10:28 PM BST

The question should be, which one would you expect? People got in the ring with Mike Tyson expecting to get a punch in the face, but he bit their ears off.

Oddly, Renny has stumbled across the position in law. When you get on a football field, you consent to a level of assault. Foreseeable stuff - bad tackles, elbows etc.

It is prosecuted when it becomes above and beyond what you would reasonably expect. So I have represented footballers who have head butted an opponent, for example.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th June 2014, 9:29 PM BST

Can't grow your own again eh so you have to plunder others. There's only been one period really when they bred a group of youngsters.

Yep, just like Chelsea. Except they've got no Class of '92.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 26th June 2014, 12:57 AM BST

Not for the first time Joey barton is right!

No he missed the point entirely, the relatively minor physical harm a chomp inflicts is totally irrelevant because Suarez isn't a violent thug, he's a blatant cheat. He doesn't bite to hurt people out of sheer nasty thuggery, he does it to cheat a win. It worked, 5 minutes later he crossed for the winner they needed. He targeted Italy's best defender to break his concentration, biting doesn't get seen by refs, a leg break tackle does.

Suarez is a highly devious cheat, in Chellini's words, a sneak. Cheating is despicable to Brits who invented sportsmanship. Latins have never valued sportsmanship, they value winning. The 4 month ban is very light for such continual cheating. But I think FIFA don't want to damage Liverpool who are one of the most respected clubs in the world, far more than MU.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th June 2014, 11:38 PM BST

FIFA don't want to damage Liverpool who are one of the most respected clubs in the world, far more than MU.

Even though their supporters got English teams banned from Europe for a number of years and of course there was - oh sorry. Not politically correct to mention it.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th June 2014, 6:46 PM BST

and of course there was - oh sorry. Not politically correct to mention it.

?

I've changed my mind completely.

Not only do I think Joey Barton should be picked for England, I think he should be our captain. Then we'd know how to compete against the other cheating bastards around the world.

Come on Mexico!

Mexico so bloody good. So unlucky.

The best goalkeeper in the tournament, strong at the back, comfortable on the ball all over the pitch and they lose to a 2 man team.

Sneider only came into it when Van Persie went off and Robben.

Yes, well results count, Chappers, and they've also played some good football throughout the team.

Jammy Dutch bastards

Angry

Quote: Ben @ 29th June 2014, 7:00 PM BST

Yes, well results count, Chappers, and they've also played some good football throughout the team.

When? They played a second rate Spain and since then Robben has carried them.

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th June 2014, 7:01 PM BST

Jammy Dutch bastards

Angry

Exactly!

They know how to win. The problem with the English is that we poo poo winners.

I've generally been a fan of the Dutch going back to 1974 but the recent teams have not got got the style and are arrogant and cynical. I suppose that is the recipe for success though.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th June 2014, 7:03 PM BST

When? They played a second rate Spain and since then Robben has carried them.

Sneijder's goal was a great piece of work just now. As the pundits were saying after the game. There's not really one team packed full of great players. I guess Germany may be an exception, but they haven't played amazingly so far given their opposition.

Can't believe Dirk Kuyt is still playing for Holland

Teh foookkkk dude

Yeah he seems like he should forever be trapped in 2007.