I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,755

Quote: Chappers @ 29th July 2015, 10:01 PM BST

F**king Trophy? A trophy is given if you actually win something. Not kill an animal.

From the OED:

3. A thing taken in war (as a weapon, flag, captive, body part, possession, etc.), or in hunting, exploration, etc., esp. one kept or displayed as a memorial.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th July 2015, 10:22 PM BST

That photo of him standing "proudly" over that beautiful dead animal made me feel sick. Angry

Replace with a photo of your favourite celebrity, family member or friend enjoying a helping of fish and chips, if desired.

Hmmm, but there's a difference between catching something to eat/for others to eat, and doing it for the bizarre need to kill something. I doubt if the man was planning to eat the lion. On the other hand, calls for him to be hanged seem a bit excessive.

Meat from trophy hunts is typically distributed to local villagers.

A tad excessive, yes!
(If anyone's actually done that - I've been avoiding it all because the pics are too depressing.)
But he probably lives in a world where all his pals think killing things for fun is perfectly normal and lovely. Nice for him to get a wake up call that most people find it abhorrent.

Quote: DaButt @ 29th July 2015, 11:35 PM BST

Meat from trophy hunts is typically distributed to local villagers.

But that's not why he killed it. As I think we're all perfectly aware.

Coincidentally The Glorious Twelfth is not far away.When royals and toffs make a sport out of killing birds.Cameron wants to bring back fox hunting.Lots of people like killing things.Not me though.

As far as managed big game hunts go, which is the better option?

1) An elderly animal that will die within the next year or so is hunted and tens of thousands of dollars are pumped into the local economy, workers' pockets and conservation efforts while poor villagers get free meat, or

2) An elderly animal dies slowly and painfully in the wild and rots. Fin.

Actually I've just found out we've got it all wrong. Being a dentist he was actually volunteering to help animals in distress. It was just a tranquiliser arrow but unfortunately the lion started to come round as he was about to do the filling and it was about to attack him. He had no other choice but to kill the poor animal.

I'd like to think you are right, but very sadly that poor animal took 40 hours to die by all accounts.

Bow and arrow? 21st century. Why didn't he go the whole hog and use a flint spear. F**king c**t.

A short and simple explanation of why the 'but the money goes to help the poor people of Africa' which perhaps makes trophy hunting a bit more palatable for the wealthy 'hunters' is nought but a misguided myth.

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/news/news-article/?no_cache=1&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=1919

Quote: DaButt @ 29th July 2015, 11:52 PM BST

As far as managed big game hunts go, which is the better option?

1) An elderly animal that will die within the next year or so is hunted and tens of thousands of dollars are pumped into the local economy, workers' pockets and conservation efforts while poor villagers get free meat, or

2) An elderly animal dies slowly and painfully in the wild and rots. Fin.

Spin it how you like but you are sincerely deluded.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 30th July 2015, 11:39 AM BST

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/news/news-article/?no_cache=1&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=1919

http://www.onemk.co.uk/news/2015/7/milton-keynes-expert-for-born-free-foundation-hopes-cecil-death-is-wake-up-call-290720150036.html

Fixed link.

Thanks Noggett :) I put another from the Born Free Foundation there, both say more or less the same thing.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th July 2015, 8:57 AM BST

Bow and arrow? 21st century. Why didn't he go the whole hog and use a flint spear. F**king c**t.

Typically the anti-hunting crowd decry the use of firearms. I guess there's no pleasing them. :)

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 30th July 2015, 11:39 AM BST

Spin it how you like but you are sincerely deluded.

Nope. A huge portion of the conservation efforts in Africa are funded by hunters. In the nation of South Africa alone, hunting brings in $745 million per year and employs 70,000 South Africans.

Hunting in the United States is something like a $4 billion industry. I've seen firsthand how hunters and fishermen pay for conservation programs in my own country. Scientifically directed hunting programs work. Like it or not, they work.

Quote: DaButt @ 30th July 2015, 2:47 PM BST

Hunting in the United States is something like a $4 billion industry.

Well that explains a lot doesn't it.

Ex-Top Gear Trio Will Make a Car Show for Amazon Prime

http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-amazon-prime.html?mid=imdb

When I first heard they signed with Amazon, I thought they got parcel delivery jobs. But no, it's another bloody car show.