I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,757

Quote: Nogget @ 3rd August 2015, 2:39 PM BST

If something is permitted by the law, then surely by definition it's not a crime?

Quote: zooo @ 3rd August 2015, 2:41 PM BST

Maybe he means committing the crime of being awesome.

Awesome shoppers, yes, especially when the sixth wok has been bought and for some odd reason it is suddenly time for three saris. Not that there is anything but Thames Ditton in the family blood. Apart from running away with the money - or legal theft as we might refer to it - there is also the legal curtailment of man's civil liberties, eg reducing the weekly intake of real ale to 35 pints.

To the stocks!

Quote: zooo @ 3rd August 2015, 5:31 PM BST

To the stocks!

:P

Bent banker gets 14 years!

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd August 2015, 8:02 PM BST

Bent banker gets 14 years!

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I won't have political media in my home now which is saying something seeing my qualifications were in politics - and history - and I spent so much of my working life in or around that "world". It just isn't a "relationship" I am prepared to spend time on any more given the way that everything has gone. I've sent the entire lot of them and their v-necked banker pals to Coventry forever.

So ... Ted Heath, anybody?

Quote: keewik @ 3rd August 2015, 11:42 PM BST

So ... Ted Heath, anybody?

No thanks. I've just eaten.

Welcome back, where yer bin for the last month? :)

Police in Australia are investigating how up to 70 crocodile heads ended up in a freezer dumped near the city of Darwin.

And so, folks, on to Volume 4 in the series "Music is Better Than....."

1. Sex 2. Money 3. Health

4. Chucking kids to their deaths from a boat off the coast of Jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJKQEgGOJ4 Wave

Quote: A Horseradish @ 4th August 2015, 12:19 PM BST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJKQEgGOJ4 Wave

Who needs James Brown!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 4th August 2015, 12:37 PM BST

Who needs James Brown!

Yes indeed.

On a totally different point to anything so far mentioned:

General Elections and Morning Clouds:

General Election 1 - FEBRUARY 1974 - Unworkable minority Labour government, Tories unhappy with Heath - by September 1974, Wilson was known to be about to make an announcement calling for another election - that announcement eventually occurred on 18 September 1974 - a close run thing was likely and the Tories could not afford to have any problems in the campaign

Morning Cloud 1 - Sparkman and Stephens S&S 34, length 34 ft., year of launch 1969. Edward Heath won the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race with this boat in the same year. It was sold in December 1970 to Stewart Benest of Jersey, who renamed it "Nuage de Matin". She was sunk off of Gorey Castle, Jersey, on 2 SEPTEMBER 1974, after the seas took her from her moorings.

Morning Cloud 3 - Designed by Sparkman and Stephens, length 44 ft. 9 ins, hull material wood, constructed by Lallows (UK), year of launch 1973. It was used in the Admiral's Cup of that year, but Heath was only on board for the Fastnet race because of other commitments. It was lost at sea just three days later on 5 SEPTEMBER 1974 when it was hit by a large wave while en route to Cowes from Burnham-on-Crouch. Heath was not on board. Two of the seven crew drowned.

General Election 2 - 10 OCTOBER 1974 - Tories hopeful but Labour elected with a small majority

1975 Heath ditched - Thatcher becomes Tory leader - GB becomes Thatcherite Britain forever Geek

The Paul Foot Style History Slot

(and we don't mean no comedian)

Trade union activity was a very big problem for British Governments in the early 1970s with strike after strike. Oil prices had quadrupled in 1973. Between 1 January and 7 March 1974 commercial users of electricity were limited to three specified consecutive days' consumption each week and prohibited from working longer hours on the days between. Television was required to close down at 10.30pm. So increasingly the unions were regarded as holding the country to ransom and the Labour Government under Wilson seemed powerless in itself. Inevitably, all politicians looked elsewhere for an answer. The Australians were keen on expanding their mining business. Ostensibly Rio Tinto Zinc in which there was considerable and very high level British investment. See the Royal Family etc. Lenox Hewitt, now 98, was Secretary of the Australian Department of Minerals and Energy under Rex Connor at that time. While Lenox and Rex were "Labor" it was a very mainstream and conservative establishment sort of Labour position that each of them held.

In 1970, just after Heath took part in the Sydney to Hobart race, Lenox's daughter, Patricia, had come to Britain, married a Tory MP and joined the Labour Party as a Bennite. By 1978, she was divorced and had on the surface long become so left wing that MI5 regarded her as a communist. Some who noted her rise under Tony Blair in the early 2000s might well comment she effectively returned to the conservatism that was indicated to an extent in her marriage. Maybe she had never really left it? In 1973, establishment Pat joined the trendy NCCL. She became its Chief Executive in 1974. There work was rapidly undertaken towards promoting a policy of reducing the age of consent substantially. Arguably if it had ever been said by the mass media that a leading politician was in difficulty in that regard, then that would have meant an electoral disaster for his party. But if the general public could be geared towards accepting such a radical change - "it's the modern way" etc - then while the public might not have been ecstatic the outcome of any election may not have been as seriously affected as it would have been without that key cultural change.

Question:

Did NCCL initially promote the lowering of the age of consent to try to achieve a Tory victory in October 1974 and thereby reduce the extent of trade union power over the national economy?

All I know is they need to dig up that arrogant twatting snob to answer these allegations.

What a f**king wanker was that lump of shit Ted Edward Heath.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th August 2015, 4:12 PM BST

All I know is they need to dig up that arrogant twatting snob to answer these allegations.

What a f**king wanker was that lump of shit Ted Edward Heath.

Maybe he was dug up by Savile so that he could have sex with him in a mortuary? Huh?

Incidentally, one of the crew who died on Morning Cloud 3 was Heath's youngish godson. His brother was killed in a hit and run accident in France two years later to the day in 1976 when Thatcher had been Tory leader for a year and looked as if she wouldn't cope with the role. If she had failed at that point, the Tory party would have gone back into being what it had been, ie like just a blue version of Labour, possibly even with Heath again at the helm. The future economic direction of Britain depended on her staying the course and the Americans had decided it was the way the west should go. MC1 had been sold to Benest of Jersey and was no longer in Heath's ownership but Jersey is a significant feature in the Savile saga and was a key destination for Heath when he owned the boat.

It was the old post-war economics of consensus - pro Commonwealth and pro Europe - attempting to prevent the start of an American style neo-conservatism. It recognised that Labour was too much in cahoots with the unions to achieve it and felt that the only alternative at the time was Ted Heath. Everything was done by the old Establishment to sustain him including burying any bad news and trying to change public sentiment so that anything he had done would be regarded as cool rather than wrong. The Thatcherites and the Reaganites stood by and let the whole sorry saga take place before assuming power in 1979-1980. The irony is that when the former were elected, they had a whole band of merry men who were like Heath in their personal lives, especially in the early 1980s.