Series 3, Episode 4
Jack Dee - Smiling
- Scientists believe that smiling was originally a sign of fear. Found by Fred.
- A sincere smile is known as a "Duchenne smile" after the scientist who discovered it. Found by Will.
- The author of the song "When Irish Eyes Smiling" was a German who never visited Ireland. Found by Will.
- Beauty contestants smear Vaseline on their teeth to allow them to hold a fixed smile for longer. Found by Jeremy.
- In Milan citizens were once ordered to smile at all times or risk a hefty fine, except when visiting people in hospital or attending funerals. Successfully smuggled.
Fred MacAulay - Charles Darwin
- Darwin was related to Josiah Wedgwood. Found by Will.
- Wedgwood was the grandmother of Darwin's wife, Emma. Found by Will.
- Darwin once transported a tortoise from the Galapagos Islands to Australia which lived until 2006. Found by Will.
- Darwin cured his snuff habit by putting his snuff box in his basement and the key to the basement in his attic. Successfully smuggled.
- Darwin kept 10,000 barnacles. Successfully smuggled.
Will Self - Cucumbers
- The cucumber is a fruit. Found by Fred.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson said of cucumbers: "Cucumbers should be well sliced and dressed with vinegar and then thrown out as good for nothing." Found by Jeremy.
- Tom Fisher of Grand Haven, Michigan grew the world's longest cucumber at 6 feet, 2 inches long. Found by Fred.
- The King James Bible refers to the cucumber. Successfully smuggled.
- The poet John Dryden wrote that: "Cucumbers along the surface creep, along crocked bodies and bellies deep." Successfully smuggled.
Jeremy Hardy - Dolphins
- Dolphin babies do not sleep for the first month of their lives. Found by Will.
- Dolphins have sex for fun. Successfully smuggled.
- When a dolphin gives birth another dolphin acts as midwife. Successfully smuggled.
- Male dolphins have sex on their own. Successfully smuggled.
- All dolphins, whales and porpoises stranded on British shores must be offered to the Queen. Successfully smuggled.
- Will Self: 5 points
- Fred MacAulay: 2 points
- Jeremy Hardy: 1 point
- Jack Dee: -1 point
- Monday 13th April 2009
- BBC Radio 4
- 30 minutes
Cast & crew
|David Mitchell||Host / Presenter|