Status report Page 5,973

...... the vet was going to tell me what happened to my little feathery friend but I've heard nothing.

Quote: keewik @ 2nd June 2017, 9:52 PM

Well don't you always forget something to take on holiday? In 3 weeks time I'll be going back to a kitchen honking of over-ripe pears and mandarins.

Quote: keewik @ 3rd June 2017, 12:43 PM

Don't you always forget something to take on holiday! I now expect to return to a kitchen honking of rotting pears and tangerines.

We heard you the first time - or did you forget that you'd posted?

Quote: Will Cam @ 3rd June 2017, 3:31 PM

...... the vet was going to tell me what happened to my little feathery friend but I've heard nothing.

Not a dicky bird?

>_<

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd June 2017, 3:40 PM

We heard you the first time - or did you forget that you'd posted?

?

The first one was probably done as I was under the influence of first-night-holiday-bingeing. Obviously I did forget.

Just taken this, he's still lookingTeary

Poor wee thing.

I hope it ends well and getting it to a vet has given it the best chance. I had a dog that killed a few birds and left the poor things intact in the garden. He was a male rottie and very territorial but the 3 female rotties I had were all softies who loved meeting people and would never hurt another animal. I don't know if it's just a popular myth but I think birds can die from shock without being physically injured which would explain how it can happen by dogs who are probably not quick enough to get near them. It's the moggies they need to be on the look out for.

That's a nice photo in a sombre kind of way and the tree looks like a scene from the tropics. I have a good view of the chimney tops in my street living in a converted attic and a few days ago I noticed the house oposite has a nest of seagulls on the chimney top. They are about the size of pigeons and it's been fascinating watching the male and female. I assume it's the female who stays on the nest and it looks like she is on alert because she is constantly looking around for threats. I can't tell if the eggs have hatched or not but hopefully I'll soon see some little beaks at feeding time and I just wish I had a decent camera.

In another flat that overlooked rooftops I used to put food out for birds every day and over the years got regular visitors. A pair of Crows would visit every day and I saw them build a nest in a tree, have a baby and eventually all three would visit every day. I could see it's beak in the nest at feeding time when it was a fledgling so seeing it out with its parents knowing I had some part was humbling. Crows are also very interesting birds who were protectors of smaller birds like Finches and Starlings and they would always feed together in harmony despite the size difference.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 4th June 2017, 11:56 PM

I had a dog that killed a few birds and left the poor things intact in the garden. He was a male rottie and very territorial but the 3 female rotties I had were all softies who loved meeting people and would never hurt another animal. I don't know if it's just a popular myth but I think birds can die from shock without being physically injured which would explain how it can happen by dogs who are probably not quick enough to get near them. It's the moggies they need to be on the look out for.

Not judging from this post!

Yo do know Zooo that 'cat lover' rhymes with 'heroin lover'.

i had to stop feeding the birds DT because my cats were getting them. I miss watching them.

Did you do anything to stop the mean birds catching those poor worms? :(

(What is DT?)

Quote: zooo @ 5th June 2017, 12:21 PM

Did you do anything to stop the mean birds catching those poor worms? :(

(What is DT?)

I think it's meant to be DDT although I'm not sure why anyone would want to feed a banned pesticide to birds. That's sick.

Oh my god, maybe he means David Tennant. :O

...or Donald Tr...sorry.

I thought DT means "due to".

Quite possibly!

He must have been on mumsnet again. They are the queens of confusing acronym usage.

I thought the reason for acronyms was to save typing the whole thing out......................."due to" seems hardly worth it. Unimpressed