After You've Gone - Series 3 Page 11

Well he wasn't exactly 'council estate' in Butterflies, The Piglet Files, or Goodnight Sweetheart.

Hmmm maybe it is because them all being terrible terrible shows I didn't really watch much of them.

Especially the Piglet files.

Quote: Aaron @ November 13 2008, 9:21 PM GMT

Oh ... Wait. I think we're getting different, but similar, conversations in different episodes mixed up.

Ahhhhhhhh.

Goodnight Sweetheart was ace, 'triff and brill, actually.

Mainly because of Gavin.

:D

I don't get the big fuss with this series. I have attempted to watch it with an open mind but there's something terribly unlikeable about Nicholas Lyndhurst. Maybe it's me type-casting him like many others have, but it's really hard not to see him as a bumbling fool. As much as Mr. Lyndhurst hates it, in many eyes he'll always be Rodney Trotter!

Obviously you guys enjoy it so it must have some merits...maybe I've not given it enough time. I just think it's extremely naff. :P

Quote: TomCampbell @ November 15 2008, 4:50 PM GMT

it's really hard not to see him as a bumbling fool.

But that's more or less what Jimmy is. In fact, now I'm thinking about it, I'd go as far as saying that Jimmy is pretty much who Rodney would have been if he hadn't been 'hindered' by Del, and had matured of his own accord.

He's half way between Gary Sparrow and Rodney Trotter really.

You could be on to something there, sir.

Am I right in thinking that Lyndhurst somewhat resents his time as Rodney Trotter? I ask this because I remember when he was on Parkinson he very awkwardly answered a question about the programme. I remember him saying something about "Lennod Pearce, who played the grandfather.." His language there struck me as somewhat odd. Pearce's character was 'grandad' and affectionately known as such. It was almost as if he didn't want to talk about that part of his life and wanted to put the emphasis on his 'real acting' so to speak.

This is just what I picked up from the one out of character moment I saw of his, but I have heard similiar things from other people.

I don't want to drift the talk away from After You're Gone, so I'll ask this question and move along :)

Well, from what I've seen said elsewhere, I think I'd have read it as him being uncomfortable with discussing Lennard Pearce. I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that they were perhaps particularly close, and so that it may upset him or make him feel awkward to discuss Grandad.

I'm also pretty sure that people (here) have commented on reading/seeing interviews where he's said he would love to do more, should Jason agree.

I think this series is unfunny, and the best thing he has ever done as a 'star' vehicle is Goodnight Sweetheart. They should do some more of that instead of this shit.

Quote: Aaron @ November 15 2008, 5:12 PM GMT

But that's more or less what Jimmy is. In fact, now I'm thinking about it, I'd go as far as saying that Jimmy is pretty much who Rodney would have been if he hadn't been 'hindered' by Del, and had matured of his own accord.

He's half way between Gary Sparrow and Rodney Trotter really.

That's very intriguing, Aaron. Although Jimmy does have his immature moments - like Rodney - I can see what you're saying. Del was such a dominating figure in Rodney's life and I think he must have been appreciative, awe-struck and a bit intimidated in equal measure.

I think it's a bit of a pity that Nick Lyndhurst doesn't have his cockney voice like in this as he did with Rodney. Apart from the WHSmith ads of the late 90s, in which I think the daughter he played was Cockney, he's always come across as rather "posh". If it wasn't for his clothes, you would think Celia Imrie's character Diana would be rather impressed with him, instead of calling him a commoner at every given opportunity. He sounding particularly high-brow as Peter in The Piglet Files. It's all very well trying to distance yourself from a famous character (i.e Rodney) but it's another to pay your new character something of a disservice by giving him a voice that doesn't match.

Speaking of Rodders, I do Community/Hospital Radio and what I've done is provided a "radio version" of "The Longest Night" episode where there's a hold-up at the supermarket. I took it off YouTube, edited it on a software called Audacity, took out all the visual references, inserted a bit of the theme tune inbetween scenes to show time passing/scene changing, and that, coupled with the fact it is a very dialogue-heavy episode, made it quite easy to fit into the radio format. It now runs at 20 minutes. I plan to do the same to "The Trial" episode of One Foot in the Grave. I'll put it on Hospital Radio and it should cheer up some of the patients!

As another side note, but still about Lyndhurst, I got a DVD off eBay yesterday - it's on Amazon too - called Stalag Luft, which a few people here might remember. I've been wanting it since about 2005. It was a 1993 - I think - 2-hour TV comedy with Nicholas Lyndhurst, Geoffrey Palmer and Stephen Fry, and written by David Nobbs, and was centered on a German POW camp in World War II. Of course, this was the second time working with Geoffrey Palmer for both Nick Lyndhurst and David Nobbs, and funnily enough, all three actors have played a character linked with a world war. Palmer as "Harry Truscott" in that 1984 Jimmy-from-Reggie-Perrin like comedy, Fry as Melchett from Blackadder Goes Forth, and Lyndhurst as Gary Sparrow. Just thought I'd mention that.

But back to After You've Gone, I think it works best when characters aren't written in because the actors are on contract. If it was just the four of them -although I like Bobby the Barman - it would be fine. There were episodes of The Good Life when there were just four characters in the whole half hour. That doesn't really happen anymore.

And surely we can do without the American colloquiums like "ass-whopping" and "jerk".

Quote: Dave @ November 16 2008, 1:08 AM GMT

Palmer as "Harry Truscott" in that 1984 Jimmy-from-Reggie-Perrin like comedy

Fairly Secret Army.

I've had Stalag Luft for a couple of years now. Must get around to watching it at some point. :/

I've updated my post above - just adding stuff.

Fairly Secret Army - that's the one. I didn't have Mark Lewishon's Radio Times Book of TV Comedy handy - that's a great book.

Sadly, I didn't have to look it up.