What should be remade? Page 3

Quote: Aaron @ August 27 2008, 1:35 PM BST

And I would have to say that that post is ridiculous and disagree with you back, in the strongest possible terms. The Office and Alan Partridge may be good, but IMO they are so overrated it makes me want to kill. Yes there are certain constants which are largely undisputed, but someone - Griff? - thinks Fawlty Towers is a bit hyped, so you can't even count on comedy geek-types.

So you're talking rubbish! Of all the hundreds of sitcoms produced in the past 50 years, you can't dismiss the point that some people will love things that others think are "meh" with just 6 roundly-loved programmes.

Firstly, I have a sneaking suspicion it was Manchester's Trendy Chorlton who thought Fawlty Towers was a bit hyped.

And secondly, it's as clear as the pointy nose on your plain face that certain comedies are considered "classics" by large numbers of people. Shows like Porridge, The Likely Lads and Open All Hours have achieved a certain premier league status that shows like Two Up, Two Down, Don't Wait Up and Man About The House haven't. In the same way that people look back at Nirvana's Nevermind as a great album but not Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet.

St Trinians... oh no wait... hang on...

Quote: Griff @ August 27 2008, 1:40 PM BST

Erm, young people who dress flamboyantly to their peers suddenly realise they are "special and different" when they reach puberty and help each other to "break out"... Genius.

Exactly. I'm glad you agree!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 27 2008, 1:38 PM BST

By that token The Tomorrow People is ripe for a remake. Even though most of the original shows were pretty awful, the central concept is brilliant.

Didn't The Tommorrow People get remade in the nineties? As The New Tommorrow People?

Whatever happened to MTC?

Quote: chipolata @ August 27 2008, 1:41 PM BST

Didn't The Tommorrow People get remade in the nineties? As The New Tommorrow People?

It did. But didn't retain anything from the original other than the title.

Quote: Marc P @ August 27 2008, 1:37 PM BST

Have a word with Micheal about that one Aaron.

Whistling nnocently

Ah, so it was you. :)

Quote: Griff @ August 27 2008, 1:40 PM BST

Erm, young people who dress flamboyantly to their peers suddenly realise they are "special and different" when they reach puberty and help each other to "break out" as part of a group called "Homo superior".

I'm no psychoanalyst, but I'm pretty sure the new Cybermen and Sontarans would identify with it.

Griff are you the scifi-homo finder general?

Are any of the following gay?

Slitheen
Centurions
Vulcans
Sea Devils
The Murka
Captain Kirk
Mr Sulu
Commander Adama
That Polar bear off Lost (is he a bi-polar bear?)

It's been a funny kind of day.

Actually it's been shit, I have spent all day re-writing a story outline that I did yesterday as my sodding computer has put it somewhere I couldn't find.

:(

Quote: Griff @ August 27 2008, 1:44 PM BST

Open All Hours? Are you kidding? I've never ever seen anyone reminisce teary-eyed the golden age of comedy and then drag that old cack into the discussion.

Open All Hours is one of those shows I loved as a kid, as with Are You Being Served?, but now can't manage an entire episode without committing acts of violence afterwards. Albeit, violence from my dirty mouth.

Quote: Griff @ August 27 2008, 1:35 PM BST

Nah. I absolutely love Fawlty Towers. But I'm glad my name was the first you thought of when you were looking for a contrarian.

I dunno, I just work on avatars. Evidently it was someone with a black and white one.

The actor who played Sulu is gay and his character was very chummy with Chekhov.

Orion space whores seemed to have little power over him.

The Murka, I have to ask how so sure?

Quote: sootyj @ August 27 2008, 1:45 PM BST

Griff are you the scifi-homo finder general?

:D He does have his little issues, doesn't he!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 27 2008, 1:48 PM BST

Open All Hours is one of those shows I loved as a kid, as with Are You Being Served?, but now can't manage an entire episode without committing acts of violence afterwards. Albeit, violence from my dirty mouth.

Yes, I may have been hasty putting it in the list of premier league classics, although I have a certain soft spot for it. It harks back to a more innocent, gentler Britain that no longer exists. And anything with both Ronnie Barker and David Jason in is worth watching.

Quote: Marc P @ August 27 2008, 1:42 PM BST

Whatever happened to MTC?

I told him to f**k off.

I suspect, however, that he may have returned under a more reasonable alias.