What should be remade?

With news that the Beeb are intending to remake The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, with Martin Clunes in the title role, I wonder what people think would work remade? For starters, I think it's crackers to remake a classic like Reginald Perrin, as there's no way it will match up to the brilliance of the original.

I think they should learn the lesson of Battlestar Galactica and remake bland and mediocre sitcoms. Or stuff that's so old the fans are all dead now and can't complain.

Yes, if they MUST remake anything, target the stuff that didn't work the first time, shows they can improve somehow.

Quote: Griff @ August 26 2008, 1:10 PM BST

Remaking old sitcoms isn't always a great idea. Remember Paul Merton's remakes of the Galton and Simpson scripts.

Ah yes. Entertaining fellow, Merton, but he's no actor, is he.

Yes, but in fifteen years time somebody could dig out the old Lab Rats scripts and remake them without Chris Addison in the lead. They might work a treat?

I'd like to see Colin's Sandwich refilled. And I think Perfect World was nearly a very good sitcom, and without Kaye in the lead, it might work a treat.

I think they should remake 'The Cup' in time for this weeks broadcast, so it might not be so bleedin' dismal.

Since they can probably never reshow the brilliant Help, I'd like to see that remade with a slightly less controversial actor opposite Paul Whitehouse.

But Langham was the only thing I liked in that show. I thought the rest of it was bloody awful.

I'd quite like to do a musical version of Starlight Express one day.

Golden Girls... but I dunno in England, maybe Brighton ;)

Quote: zooo @ August 26 2008, 1:54 PM BST

But Langham was the only thing I liked in that show. I thought the rest of it was bloody awful.

You jest? Yes, Langham was ace in it, but it was really an excuse for Paul Whitehouse to do characters, and he did them brilliantly. like the scary Greek bloke and the heartbreaking old bloke. And since Langham's role was essentially the straight man, there to listen and react to Whitehouse's creations, he could conceivably be replaced.

No, it wasn't exactly Langham's best work, he was hardly in it.

I just don't really like Paul Whitehouse much, so watching half an hour of his self indulgence isn't really my thing. :)

Quote: zooo @ August 26 2008, 2:17 PM BST

I just don't really like Paul Whitehouse much

Heresy!! :O

Sorry!

I didn't mind him back in the Fast Show days.

Quote: zooo @ August 26 2008, 2:17 PM BST

I just don't really like Paul Whitehouse much, so watching half an hour of his self indulgence isn't really my thing. :)

You'd best avoid the telly next Friday at 9pm then. His sketch show with Harry Enfield is back for a second run.