What should be remade? Page 2

Oh actually, now you've reminded me, I didn't mind that too much either. I prefer Harry though, obviously.
Paul actually lets other people play some of the parts in that!

Could never abide Harry Enfield and never cared much for The Fast Show, but loved Whitehouse in Happiness and Help.

I love The Fast Show and think Whitehouse is superb in that. Happiness series 1 was very good, but I don't care much for the second series.

Quote: chipolata @ August 26 2008, 12:21 PM BST

With news that the Beeb are intending to remake The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, with Martin Clunes in the title role

:|

Please tell me you're joking.

Quote: chipolata @ August 26 2008, 1:19 PM BST

And I think Perfect World was nearly a very good sitcom, and without Kaye in the lead, it might work a treat.

Kaye was excellent in the role. Perfect fit.

Quote: Griff @ August 26 2008, 1:17 PM BST

I'm just waiting for Aaron to say someone should remake Oh No It's Selwyn Froggit.

Ha ha, no, a DVD release would be more than enough for me.

There's an inherent problem with the original question posed in this thread. One man's mediocre is another man's excellence.

Ahem.

I remember Happiness!

I suppose one reason they remake these good old shows is because generally people who were too young to see them first time are unwilling to watch things that are about 20 years old.

I'd like to see them TRY to remake It Ain't Half Hot Mum.

The Daily Mail would implode.

Quote: Aaron @ August 26 2008, 8:55 PM BST

There's an inherent problem with the original question posed in this thread. One man's mediocre is another man's excellence.

I'd disagree with you on this. There is a consensus that grows up about a lot of shows in which most people agree they're a classic. Mention Alan Partridge, Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers and Steptoe and Son and most people rightly regard them as at the top of the sitcom hierachy. Sure, there are always a few dissenting voices, and it's very entertaining reading some nitwit try to dismiss The Office, but for the most part there are a number of blue ribbon sitcoms that are generally percieved as classics. And Reginald Perrin is one of these.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ August 27 2008, 10:07 AM BST

I'd like to see them TRY to remake It Ain't Half Hot Mum.

The Daily Mail would implode.

I think the Daily Mail would love a remaqke of It Ain't Half Hot Mom. They're constantly droning on about how we're too PC nowadays and how the PC brigade have ruined everything.

This thread reminded me of a show that I wanted to update. So I have made some calls to see what the rights issues are.

Probably not straightforward.

Quote: Marc P @ August 27 2008, 11:38 AM BST

This thread reminded me of a show that I wanted to update. So I have made some calls to see what the rights issues are.

Whenever I start a thread one of my first thoughts is, "Will it help Marc P's career in any way?" And even if the answer's yes, I press on regardless.

Good man :)

Quote: Marc P @ August 27 2008, 11:38 AM BST

Ooo please say Sapphire and Steel.. Why no-one has snapped this up after Doctor Who and Torchwood. Think they could make it awesome.

Quote: chipolata @ August 27 2008, 10:32 AM BST

I'd disagree with you on this. There is a consensus that grows up about a lot of shows in which most people agree they're a classic. Mention Alan Partridge, Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers and Steptoe and Son and most people rightly regard them as at the top of the sitcom hierachy. Sure, there are always a few dissenting voices, and it's very entertaining reading some nitwit try to dismiss The Office, but for the most part there are a number of blue ribbon sitcoms that are generally percieved as classics. And Reginald Perrin is one of these.

And I would have to say that that post is ridiculous and disagree with you back, in the strongest possible terms. The Office and Alan Partridge may be good, but IMO they are so overrated it makes me want to kill. Yes there are certain constants which are largely undisputed, but someone - Griff? - thinks Fawlty Towers is a bit hyped, so you can't even count on comedy geek-types.

So you're talking rubbish! Of all the hundreds of sitcoms produced in the past 50 years, you can't dismiss the point that some people will love things that others think are "meh" with just 6 roundly-loved programmes.

And on specific shows, I seem to recall someone saying that they were half-way through redeveloping The Rag Trade before the plug was pulled. Seems to me that that would be an interesting update.

Quote: Aaron @ August 27 2008, 1:35 PM BST

And on specific shows, I seem to recall someone saying that they were half-way through redeveloping The Rag Trade before the plug was pulled. Seems to me that that would be an interesting update.

Have a word with Micheal about that one Aaron.

Whistling nnocently

Quote: dannyjb1 @ August 27 2008, 1:31 PM BST

Ooo please say Sapphire and Steel.. Why no-one has snapped this up after Doctor Who and Torchwood. Think they could make it awesome.

By that token The Tomorrow People is ripe for a remake. Even though most of the original shows were pretty awful, the central concept is brilliant.