Current radio comedy... Page 6

Fair enough. I'm sure they'll be tasteful and get somebody compatible with Cryer et al.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 26 2008, 2:52 PM BST

The BBC are planning to carry on 'I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue', after a break, employing the guest host method of 'Have I got news...' .

As a relative newcomer to this show, it seems to me that so much of the tone and atmosphere of it came from Humphrey Lyttleton. Should they not just let this show rest in peace, or is the format going to be workable with somebody else?

I'm old enough to remember when Willie Rushton, who was a regular panellist, died over a decade ago, and it was thought then that the perfect balance would be disturbed - in fact it continued pretty seamlessly.

But the chairman, that's something else. When Barry Took was succeeded by Simon Hoggard on the News Quiz some of the bite went out of it. Took was almost as good as Humph - both had an exquisite sense of timing.

I listened to the first series of Bleak Expectations last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. great gags, wonderful surreal humour woven in there and a great story.

On the subject of Nebulous - I thought the humour was fantastic, Duff clearly has a brilliant mind for invention, but the stories just didn't keep me coming back for more.

Quote: jdubya @ August 26 2008, 6:07 PM BST

I listened to the first series of Bleak Expectations last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. great gags, wonderful surreal humour woven in there and a great story.

Yay, another convert! :)

Quote: David Chapman @ August 24 2008, 8:07 PM BST

The Miranda Hart thing was quite good.

I listened to this on my way to watch Spurs. (Now that WASN'T funny!)
As it started I thought 'Blimey, what's this rubbish?', but as I couldn't be arsed to turn it over I kept listening and actually found myself laughing in places, mainly in the car.

I just heard about an Absolutely thing with Dara O'Briain, Ardal O'Hanlan and Pauline McLynn.

It's on Radio 3 this weekend.

I think it may be set in Ireland.

Heard that guy who won the Edinburgh Fringe Festival comedy award for the first time last night on Radio4. He was funny, but not that funny. Anybody else seen or heard him? Because it might be slightly unfair to judge him on a three minute radio clip.

I saw him last Edinburgh at one of the BBC 'Best of...' shows. He was alright, but I didn't think he was the best of the four I saw. Andrew Lawrence and Stephen K Amos were both brilliant and he was kind of... <shrugs>.

Dan

David O'Doherty and Sarah Millican are going to be appearing in their own BBC radio specials. Also, "15 Minute Musical" and "The Party Line" are returning for new series.

Quote: chipolata @ August 27 2008, 10:38 AM BST

Heard that guy who won the Edinburgh Fringe Festival comedy award for the first time last night on Radio4. He was funny, but not that funny.

David O'Doherty is great IMHO. I believe, unlike some other comics, he actually keeps some of his best material for gigs only which is why he isn't on TV/Radio much.

The best stand-up I've heard on the radio this week is actually neither Sean Lock or Michael McIntyre's shows, but actually a repeat of 4 At The Store (iPlayer Link). Mitch Benn and Ian Moore were great.

(That said, I did very much enjoy McIntyre's Argos routine)

Michael Macintyre's stand-up on Live At The Apollo was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing. His bit about the buses had me in stitches.

Quote: Mark @ August 28 2008, 12:19 AM BST

(That said, I did very much enjoy McIntyre's Argos routine)

It actually annoys me that everybody has a dig at Argos (Mark Watson did last night as well) because I think it's a pretty good shop.

Quote: chipolata @ August 28 2008, 11:08 AM BST

It actually annoys me that everybody has a dig at Argos (Mark Watson did last night as well) because I think it's a pretty good shop.

I don't think everyone knocks it. Bill Bailey talked about "laminated book of dreams" catching "the tears of joy".

See here

Good old Bill Bailey. He is excellent. Other than that Museum of Everything thing, has he ever done any radio work?

Quote: chipolata @ August 28 2008, 11:29 AM BST

Good old Bill Bailey. He is excellent. Other than that Museum of Everything thing, has he ever done any radio work?

I think you are confusing Museum of Everything (without Bailey) with The Museum of Curisoity (with Bailey).

I am not aware if he has done any other radio work. What I do know is that next month, Dave is repeating his long forgotten sketch show "Is It Bill Bailey?"