Current radio comedy... Page 5

I enjoyed Mark Watson last night. He doesn't deliver major laughs, and the show is a touch formulaic, but it was a nice way to spend half an hour. And his radio work is far better than the TV stuff he's done (ie., the terrible BBC4 show about some people trapped in a lift).

I think Bleak Expectations series 1 is being repeated on BBC7, Sundays at 10:30pm. I can't confirm which series as I haven't listened to either. Yet.

Dan

Yes, looks like series one to me. :)

Or there's this thing called the British Comedy Guide which does alright. ;)

Quote: Aaron @ August 24 2008, 5:36 PM BST

Or there's this thing called the British Comedy Guide which does alright

;)

We're not quite there yet, but getting closer. 50 guides to radio comedies launched in the last month, with many more soon to follow.

I personally only became a fan of radio comedy in the last couple of years (when the iPlayer made it more accessible) so I'm very much enjoying discovering what I've been missing and hope to be able to use the new site to point more fans in the direction of good radio comedy.

For those interested, "Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show!" is to broadcast a special episode tomorrow morning on Radio 4.

Ooooh!

Quote: Ian Wolf @ August 24 2008, 7:49 PM BST

For those interested, "Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show!" is to broadcast a special episode tomorrow morning on Radio 4.

I'm very much looking forward to this! Count Arthur Strong is currently my favourite radio sitcom - so well written, so well performed. Just excellent in every way.

I haven't got around to making a guide to it yet, but will soon. In the meantime for anyone interested in the specifics of tomorrow's broadcast:

Radio 4, 11:30am - Role Playing

This one-off special of Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show!, was recorded in front of a live audience at this year's Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

Interrupted by the constant ringing of his doorbell, Arthur loses his train of thought while looking through the classified ads in the local newspaper, which leads to a very confused series of phone calls in his search for a hedge trimmer. This leaves him just enough time to pop in to Gerry's for a quick lunch on his way to a 'role playing' engagement at the hospital.

The Miranda Hart thing was quite good.

I went along to recording of the first two episodes of Miranda Hart's joke shop. It was great fun, especially on a very wet summer's evening. I'd never been to a radio recording before so it was educational as well as entertaining. The script for the first episode was the one used for the pilot, so who knows what's happening with that.

Armando Iannucci's Charm Offensive is always great fun, with some more traditional stand-up guests able to experiment with more silly and surreal jokes.

For radio comedy it's always worth checking out the BBC 7 schedule, as they broadcast repeats of a lot of older, good shows.

Count Arthur Strong was superb again this morning- and there was mention of a new series in the new year! :D

Yeah, it was ace!!
I also listened to Miranda Hart's Jokeshop, even better than the last series!

Radio comedy is in much better shape than TV at the moment, I reckon.

The BBC are planning to carry on 'I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue', after a break, employing the guest host method of 'Have I got news...' .

As a relative newcomer to this show, it seems to me that so much of the tone and atmosphere of it came from Humphrey Lyttleton. Should they not just let this show rest in peace, or is the format going to be workable with somebody else?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 26 2008, 2:52 PM BST

The BBC are planning to carry on 'I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue', after a break, employing the guest host method of 'Have I got news...' .

As a relative newcomer to this show, it seems to me that so much of the tone and atmosphere of it came from Humphrey Lyttleton. Should they not just let this show rest in peace, or is the format going to be workable with somebody else?

I think the shows strong enough to have somebody other than Humph host it. Yes, he was brilliant and one of a kind, but the formats strong, the scripts are razor sharp (he didn't write them) and the surviving stalwarts are great. I hope it does continue and I think it'll work fine. Might be a bit odd at first, but we'll soon get over that.