Current radio comedy... Page 3

Quote: zooo @ July 18 2008, 12:01 AM BST

Some people just don't get it.

That would be me. I've tried to like it, but it leaves me cold.

When is it on? I can't seem to find any good radio comedy at the moment. Used to love 'The Museum of Everything' genius use of radio for elaborate comic situations.

Jason Byrne is on Radio 2 at the mo'. His show should be good -- I will listen again and report...

Dan

Simon- Count Arthur Strong is on Radio 4 Wednesdays at 6.30pm.

Quote: swerytd @ July 18 2008, 12:27 PM BST

Jason Byrne is on Radio 2 at the mo'. His show should be good -- I will listen again and report...

Dan

I was pleasantly surprised by his show last week. Some of the sketches weren't great, but his stand-up and audience chat was pretty good.

I love The Now Show too.

I don't know what it's called, but I love Sandi Toksvig's show that's on on Fridays. The News Quiz, I think.

Quote: Charly @ July 18 2008, 5:23 PM BST

I don't know what it's called, but I love Sandi Toksvig's show that's on on Fridays. The News Quiz, I think.

Indeed it is, and this site has an entry for it.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/news_quiz/

Unfortunately though, the BBC always run The News Quiz and HIGNFY at the same time, so you get the same topical jokes on the same day. Sometimes word for word!

Quote: chipolata @ July 18 2008, 10:49 AM BST

That would be me. I've tried to like it, but it leaves me cold.

Well at least you've tried. :)

Quote: JuliaC @ July 18 2008, 5:14 PM BST

I was pleasantly surprised by his show last week. Some of the sketches weren't great, but his stand-up and audience chat was pretty good.

I love The Now Show too.

Yeah, he's a really good stand-up. Saw him in Edinburgh last year and he was great. Calmed down loads from the f**king crazy lunatic I saw back at uni ten years ago!

Dan

Quote: JuliaC @ July 18 2008, 5:30 PM BST

Unfortunately though, the BBC always run The News Quiz and HIGNFY at the same time, so you get the same topical jokes on the same day. Sometimes word for word!

Being a wireless sort of fellow it has to be The News Quiz every time.

For me HIGNFY ran its course long before Angus Deayton left/was removed.

I quite like Fags, Mags and Bags! There's something quite charming about it.

Safety Catch has been getting quite a few complaints. It was a subject of debate on Feedback, the radio version of Points of View. One listener described the show as "Morally vacuous". There is an interview with one of the writers and the producer of the show.

As much as I like Safety Catch, it doesn't feel like a particularly accurate portrayal of the arms industry, in the same way The Thick of It felt like an accurate picture of politics today. It feels more like the writer wrote it after watching Lord of War.

Afternoon. Just wanted to put a word in for the Radio 4 sitcom, 'Cabin Pressure', currently running on Wednesday mornings at 11.30 am. For those of you of you who don't regard radio sitcom as a lesser species of the form, I would say this is well worth a listen. It's well written, with good plotting, characters and jokes. Can't say fairer than that, eh.