Current radio comedy... Page 9

Fair point. I'm not a huge fan of Hut 33 either. But the people that go to watch Radio 4 sitcoms being performed enjoy a partucular type of show. And Hut 33 is that type of show, i.e., very, very Radio 4.

For the Douglas Adams fans amongst you, the second series of the Dirk Gently adaptations starts next Thursday, 2nd October, 11pm on Radio 4, based on the Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul.

I didn't get to hear the first series and have no idea as to its quality. Perhaps somebody can enlighten me.

It was alright. Seemed very dramatisation rather than sitcom. I probably wouldn't listen to it if it was repeated but it was okay for a 'listen once'.

Dan

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 25 2008, 11:16 AM BST

I didn't get to hear the first series and have no idea as to its quality. Perhaps somebody can enlighten me.

If only there was a website out there that provided a guide to British comedy ;)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/dirk_gently/

Quote: Mark @ September 25 2008, 12:33 PM BST

If only there was a website out there that provided a guide to British comedy ;)

There is, Mark. ;) http://www.chortle.co.uk/

Back on the current radio front, The Castle last night seemed okay. Didn't blow me away, but wasn't terrible either.

Quote: Mark @ September 25 2008, 12:33 PM BST

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/dirk_gently/

Oh yeah. Didn't think to look there. Here. What a truly comprehensive site this 'BSG' is. Apart from all the sitcoms in black that have absolute bugger all about them of course. ;)

Most of them have lots of information recorded. They've just not yet been published. You'll see it all explode into life in the next couple of months. :)

Fair do.

Must admit, I enjoyed the second I've Never Seen Star Wars far more than the first. It's got a slow building charm, and Brigstocke does interact well with the audience, although I can't help but feeling that Paul Daniels (the guest) is one of these self-assembly reactionaries like John Mccririk and Aaron. You wonder how much of the guff he spouts he actually believes, and how much is him just trying to play up to an image.

I enjoyed this last night, but it's just an interview show, isn't it. It would be far more effective if there was a lot more "documentary" bits, eg more bits like where Paul Daniels actually went for his swimming lessons, or snippets of them commenting on films as they watch. Just having them talk about what they thought of The Great Escape is like Desert Island Discs for Z-listers.

By 'eck this thread warms the cockles of me heart.
Count Arthur Strong is indeed a legend. My favourite was the 'Just a minute' episode. The concept of The Count avoiding deviation, repetition and hesitation, it's like ripping out his soul. Loved it!

I love Count Arthur Strong.

I really enjoy radio comedy. I'm always excited to listen to it when I do come across it. Unfortunately the CBC here in Canada has a 'comedy team' who do all the writing for comedy and it all TERRIBLY unfunny.
The exception to to Canadian Radio comedy is Vinyl Cafe which plays every Sunday afternoon. He's been on for years and I just love his stories. Here is an example
I also really like The Debaters. Two comics take different stances of an issue and go at each other. Here is a link to the website: http://www.cbc.ca/thedebaters/

Finished listening to On The Blog series 2 -- exceptional (except for the last episode, as it turns out I have episode 5 twice. Bum.)

Also listened to Spats series 2. That was good too. The odd sketch in there is very good, especially the throwaway 'Dr Death' sketch in the final episode of the series.

The new series of Fighting Talk is lining up waiting though. Best (and funniest) programme on radio by a long way, in my opinion!

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ September 29 2008, 10:31 AM BST

The new series of Fighting Talk is lining up waiting though. Best (and funniest) programme on radio by a long way, in my opinion!

I've never heard of it. What is it?