- 2007 - 2008
- BBC Radio 4
- 12 (2 series)
- Harry Enfield, Billy Boyd, Jim Carter, Olivia Colman, Robert Duncan, Felicity Montagu, Michael Fenton Stevens, Toby Longworth and others
- Douglas Adams, Dirk Maggs and Kim Fuller
- Dirk Maggs and Dawn Ellis
- Jo Wheeler and Dirk Maggs
Dirk Gently (real name Svlad Cjelli) is a private detective who believes in the fundamental interconnectedness of all things. His Holistic Detective Agency therefore solves the whole crime and finds the whole person, although admittedly his cases mostly tend to involve missing cats.
Gently's first case is that of the murder of Gordon Way, owner of WayForward Technologies II. His work college, Richard MacDuff, believes that he is being considered as the prime suspect, which leads him to employ Dirk to clear his name. The case ends up evolving into a somewhat bizarre tale of time travel, alien visitation, ghosts, Samuel Taylor Coleridge and an Electric Monk who believes everything in the world is pink... it is one big case for Dirk!
In series two (The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul), Dirk has fallen on hard times - he is reading palms in a tent, dressed as an old gypsy woman. But when Detective Superintendent Gilks decides the headless body of one of Dirk's clients is the result of a particularly irritating suicide, Dirk is plunged into a mystery where the interconnectness of all things is tested to the limit.
- Production company
- Also known as
- The Long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul (Series 2 title)
- Music composed by Philip Pope.
- Laugh track
- First broadcast
- Wednesday 3rd October 2007 on BBC Radio 4 at 6pm
- Last new broadcast
- Thursday 6th November 2008 on BBC Radio 4 at 11pm
- Length of episodes
- 30 minutes