- 2005 - 2021
- BBC Radio 4
- 44 (7 series), plus 10 highlights special
- Steve Delaney, Alastair Kerr, Dave Mounfield, Mel Giedroyc, Sue Perkins and Joanna Neary
- Steve Delaney and Graham Duff
- Mark Radcliffe, John Leonard and Richard Daws
One-time variety star Count Arthur Strong (Steve Delaney) is all tourettic tics, false starts and nervous fumbling, badly covered up by a delicate sheen of bravado and self-assurance.
With his jumbled delivery of words, delusions of grandeur and ability to get monumentally sidetracked, normal daily tasks become a challenge for Arthur and more often than not, those around him too.
Arthur is almost always oblivious to the chaos and delay he causes those he meets. He often ends up blaming them for the confusion he has caused, and can regularly be heard threatening to write a strongly worded letter or pass details on to his solicitor.
On the rare occasions that it does dawn on Arthur that he is at fault, he will attempt to lie his way out of trouble - normally digging himself into an even deeper hole in the process.
Arthur is a cheapskate - amongst those he attempts to get freebies from is Wilf Taylor, his butcher. Other characters who have the misfortune of knowing Arthur include cafe owner Gerry and Malcolm Titter, a naive budding young actor and playwright who stupidly looks to the Count for advice and acting lessons.
- Also known as
- Count Arthur Speaks! (Radio 4 Extra show)
- First broadcast
- Friday 23rd December 2005 at 11:30am on BBC Radio 4
- Most recent repeats
- Komedia Brighton
- The Dancehouse Theatre (Manchester)