Dad's Army Page 19

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th May 2015, 9:31 PM BST

Just watched the 2nd episode on 2 and it reminded me how quite refined Pike's voice was in the first series - has anyone else noticed this?

Is he impersonating someone particular when he's saying "Let me tell you..." to Mrs. King in an affected voice?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 16th May 2015, 9:51 PM BST

Is he impersonating someone particular when he's saying "Let me tell you..." to Mrs. King in an affected voice?

Que - I noticed his "posh" voice in the first episode two weeks ago and it is still there in the second one tonight. Just wondering if anyone knows when it change.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th May 2015, 10:50 PM BST

Que

Watch at 2:55:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aNwVgiyILuI. "Now, let me tell you..."

Who is he impersonating?

Rob Wilton?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 17th May 2015, 7:32 AM BST

Watch at 2:55:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aNwVgiyILuI. "Now, let me tell you..."

Who is he impersonating?

Ah, 'scuse being thick - I see what you mean now. I don't think it is Rob Wilton as he had a distinctive accent and that wasn't his catchphrase, which was "The day war broke out...". Come to think of it, it was his only catchphrase.

Given the context where the secretary is criticising with her "like a lot of kids playing soldiers" I think it is Pike's poor impersonation of Mainwaring.

"The Bullet is Not for Firing" was the one on tonight, and one of the best of all of the series in my opinion with so many great scenarios, especially for Jones, and even more especially for the scene in the church hall with the Court of Inquiry and as the choir starts up in the background he thinks it is the angels and his time has come.

Sooooooooooooo funny. Laughing out loud

One of my all time favourites tonight "No Spring for Frazer" - so many good set ups, especially when Mr. Blewitt virtually accuses Jones of causing his brother to die when he unwrapped the neck of lamb he had bought off him. Soooo funny, never fails with me no matter how many times I see it.

And Mainwaring is on the phone enquiring whether the army stores had any spares for their Lewis gun.............."You have what all?" Clever joke.

Yes, a brilliant episode. :D

Possibly the greatest sitcom of all time. None better anyway. :)

They've scrood him doon! Laughing out loud

Hence the expression "keep your hair on"

"Sons of the Sea" tonight - Mainwaring at his most pompous and stupid. :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th October 2015, 9:12 PM BST

"Sons of the Sea" tonight - Mainwaring at his most pompous and stupid. :D

Great episode from start to finish.

"The Big Parade" tonight, the end was classic and very funny. Laughing out loud

You mean the goat eating the money?

He!

I like Jones getting fresh with Mrs Fox in the cinema

Quote: lofthouse @ 31st October 2015, 11:50 PM GMT

You mean the goat eating the money?

He!

I like Jones getting fresh with Mrs Fox in the cinema

I meant when Hodges tried to out march them and a race ensued, and yes Jones in the cinema, naughty boy.